PDA

View Full Version : types of "bad" zones

madborg
02-03-2002, 11:38 AM
I have characterized three types of "bad" zones so far.

Type 1:
-room is dark
-movement is possible (do #loc to tell)
-inventory command "i" kills the client
[examples: befallen, soltemple]

workaround:
-relog back and room will have light. Command "i" will work.
You will be able to use #goto get out if you need to use coordinates (a coordinate room)

Type 2:
-no movement allowed
-light is fine
-client dies of you use "i"
[examples: soldunga, soldungb, runnyeye]
work around:
-relogin back and you can move. Command "i" works. #goto works of you need it

Type 3:
-movement allowed
-light is fine
-command "i" works
-goto will get you out of coordinate room
[examples: greatdivide]

**added**
a fast way out of some of the coord rooms is to camp and then relog. You will be at the safe coord location.

Drawde
02-04-2002, 02:21 AM
Hmm, I haven't noticed most of those errors (apart from starting off in the coordinate room).
I get quite a few random zone.exe crashes, especially when zoning, and also "You Have Been Disconnected" occasionally, but no zones seem to be "bad". Certainly I've visited Befallen quite a few times to check out Z coordinates.
I'll probably check out the Lavastorm dungeons next for NPC Z coordinates, so I'll see if I get any "bad zone" errors there.

Drawde
02-04-2002, 07:12 AM
I've just tested out some of these zones, I get the same problems - it must be a bug introduced by 2.1 (perhaps by the zone headers?). In most of the zones you start off in the coordinate room and can't move, #goto displays a message but doesn't work. As you say, Befallen is entirely dark.

madborg
02-04-2002, 08:55 AM
type 3 is old. But both type 1 & 2 are new.
What looks like needs to be done is for the zones to get a kick to the head. If you camp and then come back, things are fine. And if you enter the game in that zone already, things are fine.

So its definitely a kick to the head.

Yodason
02-04-2002, 08:58 AM
hmm I will try to take a look at this sometime this week....

Yuri
02-05-2002, 09:10 PM
How about the zones that still need coordinate adjustments?... i tried zoning into steamfont the other day and found myself in the sky falling to my death over and over and over...

how can i fix these?... i know there are variables somewhere in the database that have this info?

Drawde
02-06-2002, 12:39 AM
The "bad zone" bug still seems to be present in 0.2.2, for me at least. Unrest and Chardok both started off stuck at the safe point and crashed entirely when I logged out then in again. I also went to Rathe Mountains (where I was checking out spawns yesterday with 0.2.1) and repeatedly fell through the floor for about 30 seconds until I got the "you have been disconnected" message. #goto didn't work.
Felwithe, Erudin, E Freeport and G. Faydark all worked though, the problem seems to be with non-city zones.

madborg
02-06-2002, 11:51 AM
I checked out a couple of places too yesterday including befallen. But I also had a zone crash for sleeper (on a #zone). On relog everything was fine in sleeper.

Did a few other zones with no problem including load and tutorial.

But guess what? I didn't copy the cfg directory to 0.2.2. So that may have had an effect on the sleeper crash. I still don't understand how the cfg files work because I was able to zone without them.

Yodason
02-07-2002, 08:41 AM
I have confirmed that this exists, Has anyone changed trying changing safe point cords?

Shawn319
02-11-2002, 06:23 AM
I'v had this problem at least 3 times (Type 2). usually in a fully populated zone and almost always after /zone out and back in (ie. zone into Akanon, zone into dreadlands, zone into Akanon and get "Type 2" bad zone). Another symptom of type 2 is very bad framerate and/or high ping.

Just my observations..

btw i had type 2 bad zone in Akanon, Rivervale and Sleeper (Isolated and not repeated).

Shawn319
02-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Just got "Type 2" again. this time i was zoning to Guktop. I zoned in and i couldnt move, i used #goto 0 0 0 and all it did was crash (memory error).. so this is still not fixed with 0.2.3

madborg
02-14-2002, 09:31 AM
I will make another pass through the various zones once things settle with the recent EQlive patch. Maybe this weekend.

Shawn319
02-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Now it seems Arena has bad texures or mdoels in it.. when i walk around everything is wierd and sometimes it just shows sky all around me depending on which way i look. anyone elce get this problem?

Minara
02-16-2002, 10:33 AM
Yeah I'm getting that problem as well Shawn.. That happens in sleepers too for me :(

magnav0x
02-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Like the curious idiot I am I did #zone cshome and now my poor drood is stuck in a non existant zone, crashed me out of eqw because the server map was not available :( time to resummon all my gear.

madborg
03-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Like the curious idiot I am I did #zone cshome and now my poor drood is stuck in a non existant zone, crashed me out of eqw because the server map was not available :( time to resummon all my gear.

well join my druid then with all his wonderful gear that took me 10 minutes to get. I was tricked into #zone cshome too.

Hmm
03-06-2002, 06:58 PM
haha yeah i went to cshome to look around ( refreshing my memory since it has been long time since last time i visited )

he saw where i was in and went there and got trapped.

ibleet
03-07-2002, 04:10 PM
If you use EqAdmin, you can just change your zone in the database from cshome to whatever zone you choose and you will have all your gear. :) Earlier today when I got stuck in Akheva, I changed my current zone in the database using EqAdmin to Oasis at the zone-in point. It worked like a charm, when I logged in, I was in Oasis. If you are not the serverOp and don't have access to the db, you may be SOL.

+wvP7tv34YA=
03-30-2002, 02:31 PM
It also helps to make a hotkey to a zone that you know is safe (like ecommons or eastkarana)

Using this has helped me when zoning into somewhere and noticing that there is sky all around me, or things look weird I just hit my 1 and I zone to ec.

Shin Noir
04-23-2002, 04:22 PM
For stuck characters in zones just remake a new character (temporary) real quick and do the command:

#movechar [charactername] [zonetomove]

If you have the privalege to do so you can move offline characters out of bugged zones. I've used this a lot (Especially when someone is stuck in a luclin zone when a person doesn't have luclin!)

Nali
06-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have a new more complete list of the .cfg files seems to be alot of them that dont seem to work and just put you in a box where you cant move around.

cray
09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
This may not be relevant, but #zone trakanon will drop you to the ground killing you. Z cordinates might be screwed up there.

Cray

Shawn319
09-26-2002, 06:54 PM
alot of zones have imporper Z coords and/or locs =P something that has yet to be gotten around to yet.

Ice
10-11-2002, 04:18 PM
:)

Shawn319
10-29-2002, 04:21 PM
This thread started on 2-3-02 and zoning is pretty stable now (only took 9 months rofl).

un-sticking thread...