PDA

View Full Version : Kevlin Diggs Debt

shaznito
02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I know this is not a major quest anyone cares about but I'm actualy starting to enjoy quest writing. This is my first time so... try and be nice :) me and my wife have tested it and it works hope it does for everyone else.. well I'm off to bed.

Quest Name:Kevlin Diggs' Debt
Author:Shaznito
NPCs Involved:Ace Slighthand
Items Involved:Coin

sub EVENT_SAY {

if($text=~/hail/i){

quest::say("Hey. hey. hey! Welcome to the Fool's Gold. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose. pal! You don't want to end up like ol' [Kevlin].");

}

if($text=~/who is kevlin/i){

quest::say("Kevlin Diggs. His family sells armor here in Rivervale. He has a nice shop right across from us here. But he owes us Deeppockets some [gold] that we need to collect. We can't rough him up because he is a friend of Mayor Gubbin. We need someone to steal it.");

}

if($text=~/what gold/i){

quest::say("He keeps his money in a sack on his bed. But he has a mean pet wolf, named Mangler, who mangled the last cutpurse we sent after it. If you were to wait until he leaves his shop, then sneak past Mangler and bring me the money he owes us, I will make it worth your time.");

}

}

sub EVENT_ITEM {

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 13182 => 1)){

quest::say("Heh heh! You got a career ahead of ya kid! Good work. Here is your cut.");

quest::givecash(10,4,0,0);

quest::exp(10);

}

}

#END of FILE Zone:rivervale ID:19093 -- Ace_Slighthand

Angelox
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks!
We're always in need of quest makers, hope you can shoot some more over. be sure to include history/details inside the script;
#Quest Name:Kevlin Diggs' Debt
#Author:Shaznito
#NPCs Involved:Ace Slighthand
#Items Involved:Coin

cavedude
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Good work on the script, but it needs db support and probably more scripting for it to actually function. And, considering it's a noob quest it's pretty complicated.

The coin is available only when Diggs leaves his shop, so Diggs will need to be put on a grid. And, since he walks off at a certain time, that grid will need to be triggered in a quest using $zonetime. As for the coin, we have no way of controlling ground spawns via script, so it would would need to be put in the db as a permanent spawn. To get around this I'd put a proximity on his bed that depops when Diggs leaves his shop, and repops when he comes back. That way, if you try to steal the coin while he is there, the prox would trigger, sending a signal to Diggs to attack the player. Then there is Mangler, his pet. Mangler is KOS to all, but will not attack you while Diggs is around. (When he leaves, he guards the coin on the bed) That means a copy of Mangler will need to be made with a H npcspecialattk which tells him to never aggro. This should be the default version of Mangler, and will depop and pop the aggresive version when Diggs leaves. His aggro range would need to be small, maybe like 10 or 15. This would fill up the whole little room he's in, but won't cause him to aggro people outside of it which is exactly what you want here.

So in the end, the player will need to wait under Diggs leaves. Once he is gone, they will need to sneak/hide or invis themself to sneak into the house, snatch the coin and get out of there.

If you still want to undertake this, I would be more than happy and willing to help in anyway I can. It would be an awesome exercise in advanced quest writing logic at the least and probably fun as well.

shaznito
02-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Sure, It's still a fun hobby for me plus my wife really loves rivervale, so I want to try and make what quests are missing. Any help or suggestion are appreciated :)

shaznito
03-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Ok,I'd figure I would post an update about this quest, it's complete for sure except few minor things and that is database support for ground spawn control, and mangler agrro range. I spent a lot of days on live to figure this quest out because I kept getting different stories on how this quest worked.

My wife argued with me and so did a few vets on live. So this is my findings, Kevlin leaves the room either early morning or late afternoon to night I have the time clock write down on a notebook so when I re-work this quest I'll add it along with the waypoints,

After this question "what gold" kevlin coin bag pops on the bed next to mangler.
I tried stealing it with kevlin in the room but he doesn't aggro or say anything, only mangler his guard dog.

Mangler always agrros no matter what and to prove it to myself and others I logged on to a level 52 ranger, and yup still one pissed off pup. hes on a defense stance on official while emu version once con grey he won't at all. So a proximity need to be added or something to trigger him on entry. I tried this out and works like live except for the item summon after you hail Ace Slighthand and start the quest.

If anyone can tell me how to add the event to summon the item on the ground it would make this fully complete! I'm sure there is a work around, even not now maybe later.

cavedude
03-05-2008, 04:22 AM
Eh, I was mostly correct ;)

No need for a proximity, setting his _INT properly will cause him to aggro no matter what.

But as I said above, there is no way. The coin has to be always there.