PDA

View Full Version : Bard Melodies

gokudavid
02-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Do they work? I'm trying /melody song1 song 2 song3

doesn't seem to be working, any suggestions?

I play on Storm Haven.

Best Regards,
Dave

mattmeck
02-26-2008, 06:29 AM
not implimented.

LordMage
03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Is is possible to get it implemented?? would that require a DB change or a recompile of the world?

ChaosSlayer
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
they have to be codded in- which means recompiling the server files

KLS
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Have to figure out how it works first.. which I haven't, I wanted to implement it a while back. My guess is it was probably handled client side and we just aren't sending the spell packets in the correct order for it to work.

So_1337
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
First, a bard will memorize their songs. Then, they'll type /melody # # #. (I'm honestly unsure of the limit, but I believe it to be three.

This will continually cast those songs in the order typed, allowing the bard to focus on something other than singing, and sparing them some carpal tunnel =P

From the stand-point of use, it kind of works the same way as /autofire; you're looping something that used to be done manually. I figured that /melody would follow not long after that. Then again, I'm sure that it's quite different from a programming stand-point :)

I'll see if I can dig up a more detailed explanation of how melody works, though; I never want things taken just at my word if I can do something to provide solid proof.

Thanks for looking into this, K :)

ndnet
03-05-2008, 03:39 AM
There was no effective limit to /melody. You could string a ton of songs together in any order with it.

e.g. /melody 1 2 3 1 2 4 1 2 5

/melody was primarily effective in this extended manner because a rank or two of Mastery of the Past (or one of those style AAs) was bugged to grant bards immunity from fizzles to all songs (tee hee).

Normally, /melody is interrupted by fizzles, stuns, etc events that would interrupt songcasting. /melody could also be halted by the use of /stopsong or by tapping a song gem. I'm not sure how much of that functionality rests within the client and how much within the server, though.

KLS
03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I was already aware of how it worked from a conceptual pov!

/melody 1 2 3 4 sends the same packet to the client as casting a spell in slot 1 so I dunno, I'm guessing it's handled client side but the packets we send for spells aren't in a correct order or something.

ndnet
03-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Of note is that bardsongs don't seem to be pulsing on the client side. Songs that would normally generate quite a bit of spam (e.g. selo's accelerando) show one message on the first tick and then nothing -- yet remain refreshed throughout the time the bard is singing it.

Going to look into the casting business and see what might be up

rathma01
03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Are there any plans to implement this sometime soon?

Irreverent
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Bah, melody was horrible! Twisting was great...it kept the eccentric bards busy so they were the least likely to speak in a group. :)

MNWatchdog
05-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Until this was added, most bards eventually quit due to carpal tunnel.

Asphixiate
05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
If anyone is actually working on this, please add the option to disable the melody feature.

Dr Zauis
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
If anyone is actually working on this, please add the option to disable the melody feature.

LOL..It does work good for running and regenerating though. I also would just chant and selos and run around in circles. Could just about solo forever like that.

KLS
05-10-2008, 10:51 PM
/melody is client side, once working you wouldn't be able to disable it.

Asphixiate
05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
That makes me sad. :(

guitarist2413
05-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Well, Melody is an activiated ability, so if your a bard, and dont want to use it, you simply dont use it. Just like if a ranger wants to fire every shot, he never has to /autofire

Gegan
09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Would be nice if you could disable the use of /melody if you wanted a more "authentic" feeling. As a bard who played since 1999 I rarely used melody after it was implemented...I of course had twisting ingrained in my memory. Once I fell asleep during an RZ raid in time and woke up...fingers still twisting...apparently I kept all 4 songs up the entire fight while asleep for about 10 minutes.

As far as the client goes...there are several bugs with singing songs...they lock up occasionally preventing you from twisting. Also whenever you twist every pulse actually removes the song and then re adds it like it overwrites itself as a buff...so I imagine this is controlled serverside in some respect...I imagine that the serverside is waiting for a command that the song successfully played before going onto the next song (i.e. if you had high ping times melody rates would be different based on lag levels)...based on how songs are handled I imagine they are emulated to be much like spells instead of like songs. The fact that /melody sings the first song gives the impression that it is waiting for a response from the server to stop singing that one and start singing the next that it is simply not getting.

As far as adding it *purely* client side I'm sure its possible, as macroquest allegedly had a feature that could do it...it would simply look for the casting dialogue and when it disappeared (the song was sung) it would stop the song and move onto the next one. However, if someone develops this, it would be available to anyone who downloaded it.

Gegan
09-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Occasionally when singing songs everything will lock up and it won't let me start singing other songs but a song will keep playing...won't let me do anything until I start singing that song again then it will unlock...I'm guessing this has to do with responses from the server about song activity...i.e. confirming that it got a song started/stopped...which aren't getting reported properly which is whats causing the problem client side...this is also what I would guess is causing the problem with /melody...some response saying yes we got that song request yes we gave you song effect yes we got that song stopped yes we're starting the next song etc...don't know too much about the programming just best diagnosis I can give with what I do know...

~MrGPAC

Krazyian
05-11-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm going to bump this....not specifically for /melody. I can twist fine, however It's hard to twist at ALL when the songs lock. My songs tend to lock fairly often...enough to make people I'm grouping with think I'm weaving with my nose :P

Occasionally when singing songs everything will lock up and it won't let me start singing other songs but a song will keep playing...won't let me do anything until I start singing that song again then it will unlock...I'm guessing this has to do with responses from the server about song activity...i.e. confirming that it got a song started/stopped...which aren't getting reported properly which is whats causing the problem client side...this is also what I would guess is causing the problem with /melody...some response saying yes we got that song request yes we gave you song effect yes we got that song stopped yes we're starting the next song etc...don't know too much about the programming just best diagnosis I can give with what I do know...

Has there been a fix for this? I'm thinking there hasn't....but then again I remember bard code being a nightmare

warhawk
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Isn't #melody working for this on emu ?

cavedude
05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, #melody has replaced /melody on EQEmu.

Krazyian
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Ok, sorry I searched (I really did too ;P) and couldn't find any commands like that. I'll be sure to pass it on to some other bards who just figured it was broke. Is there a list somewhere that would have commands like #melody that would not be available on live? I'll look again just incase I missed it.

What about the whole song locking thing? I quoted Gegan above because he nailed the same problem I'm having with songs locking...it's been driving me nuts! Here's the description of the problem again:

Occasionally when singing songs everything will lock up and it won't let me start singing other songs but a song will keep playing...won't let me do anything until I start singing that song again then it will unlock...I'm guessing this has to do with responses from the server about song activity

Thanks again for the help!