PDA

View Full Version : Spells Table

trevius
04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know what the Spells table in the database is for, or if it is even used at all? As far as I can tell from my testing, the only important spell information is in the spells_us.txt on the server (host eqemu directory) and the client (Everquest directory).

Can the spells table just be removed or does it actually have a purpose? Which leads me to my next question; is there a way to source the spells_us.txt file into the Spells table? The only thing I can think of is using notepad to replace all ^ with a TAB instead in the spells_us.txt file and then deleting all rows in the spell table and pasting the text from notepad directly into the table via Navicat. I think that would work, but if someone has a better way I would like to hear. Again, if the spells table isn't even used at all, I guess there isn't much of a point at bothering with this. I am mainly just curious if it would help fix any spell bugs or issues.

Bulle
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
To my knowledge the spells table is not part of any release of EQEmu or PEQ. It is an additional table created for the needs of other tools like EQBrowser or PEQEditor. These tools provide a script to load the table (something like all_spells.sql) as part of the installation process. This script has certainly be generated from the spells_us.txt file (the standard one) and has passed from hand to hand.

It is used as a spell browsing table. Easier to use in PHP than the text file.
May be you have it because you installed such a tool.

mamba666
04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
The spells table should only be used by one of the spells programs I think Georges.

I think this was just so the program didn't have to decode the spells_us.txt files everytime it looked up the info.

As far as I am aware the EQEMU program itself doesn't send any requests to this table.

The server uses the txt files straight from the EQEMU folder that it starts from.

The client does the same. It accesses the txt file right from the client folder and does not require access to the database for this info.

If you do update this text file, every client needs the same update or the client will not interperet the spells correctly.

trevius
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I must have installed that table when I was messing with the PEQEditor a few months ago and forgot about it. I think that GeorgeS' tools use his own custom reference file for spells and IDs. If it did use the spells table, I wouldn't mind updating it so I can see the newer spells on items. I tried adding new spell IDs and names to the spells reference files in the resources directory of GeorgeS' item editor, but it didn't seem to recognize anything I added. It just kept showing the last spell in the list which is some bard song that starts with Z whenever I would add a spell that was higher than the ones in the default Titanium spells file. I am curious if it does reference that table and if so, maybe his new spell feature for his NPC Loot Editor does as well.

I will look into it, thanks again!

Theeper
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Trev, you could use LOAD DATA INFILE to import the spells file into MySQL, just don't forget to tell it to use '^' as a delimiter. Of course the schema has to match or you'll need to specify the fields you want.

I imported the spells file as a CSV into Excel myself and hid the fields I don't want to see. It gives me a nice, clean way to lookup spells.

Lillu
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I made a custom spell file (Gate to nektulosa). Since the new spell data is stored in the spells_us.txt, it works perfectly ingame. but, I can not assign this new spell to any items as clicky (using Georges tools), since it works from a different data source. Is there a way to "easily" update Georges data source with the custom spells_us.txt file, and then use the custom spells with custom items?

Any help or workaround would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lillu

Lillu
05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Bump. Anyone managed to make a custom item with clicky custom spell?

blackdragonsdg
05-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I made a custom spell file (Gate to nektulosa). Since the new spell data is stored in the spells_us.txt, it works perfectly ingame. but, I can not assign this new spell to any items as clicky (using Georges tools), since it works from a different data source. Is there a way to "easily" update Georges data source with the custom spells_us.txt file, and then use the custom spells with custom items?

Any help or workaround would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lillu

While GeorgeS tools are very useful they do have limitations on item mods and a few other things. SQL Maestro for MySQL works great as a secondary tool and can be found here: http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/mysql/maestro/

This program is not free but the site does offer a downloadable trial version.

GeorgeS
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Ok I just noticed this thread, so I will answer all questions -

The item editor uses a delimited "^" file in resources called spells.txt
- add your spell there. This file is just for my program, but I think I will change it so it will use 'spells_new' in the database. Please use the spells.txt until I change the program in the next revision (which also will allow 'profile' blob editing :) )

To create a potion (has clicky) let's say. Examine item 51112 - 10 dose mist of the wolf.

click on 'new edit' and look at the field "click effect" = pack spirit spell
to change it, click on the white square next to spell name and load in the spells and assign it. If you have no idea how to prefill the click level and click type, use the ? help button and click on prepopulate with suggested values.
Change maximum charges to a new number.
item type=potions
Then save the item , and you have a click item.

Remember to use an existing item as a template to assist.

also in 'new edit' you should copy the item and then modify it - best way.

GeorgeS

blackdragonsdg
05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Well that bit of information solved the problem I was having.

When adding click effects to items why is there a difference between using new edit and old edit? Is this just an incorrect interpretation of intended function on my part or is there technical reason? Old edit kept causing runtime errors when attempting to add click effects to items.

Maybe it is just me but it would seem like old edit would be intended to modify existing items and new edit would be intended to copy the old item then allow you to edit the new copy. I Guess I just over thought that waaaay too much.