PDA

View Full Version : EQEMU and NwN

SlappyOil
06-23-2002, 03:37 AM
Someone posted a thread asking if EQEMU would soon be obsolete due to the release of Neverwinter Nights...I must say, I bought NwN... and it SUX!

It is basicaly a ramped up Diablo interface...playing it for more than a hour or so gives you a serious headache due to the crappy way the camera pans and the angles.

Play it and see..I hate it and it was a waste of money! PERIOD!

WHY was there such a HUGE hub-bub over its realease???

EQEMU is STILL BY far the best!!

Just my honest opinion.

Anyone else agree?

Ariak
06-23-2002, 04:44 AM
I don't plan on buying it.

James
06-23-2002, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I thought the game looked pretty crappy. I never buy my games unless they are worth buying so I give the company my support.

SlappyOil
06-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Wisely spoken...I got suckered in by all the hype..60 bucks down the drain..oh well...you know what they say>>TIme, and the new EQEMU release, heals all wounds (or something like that)

Slappy

Zeitgeist
06-23-2002, 12:07 PM
I was a big fan of NWN pre-release and I'm looking forward to the user created campaigns. I think its fun but don't expect it to be more than it is. If Dungeon Siege is Uber Diablo II then NWN is Uber Dungeon SIege with an even bigger bonus --- the Toolset-- sit down and play with the toolset you can do some amazing sh!t. :)

nikl
06-24-2002, 12:44 AM
is nwn jsut like ds (fighting and collecting items and again and again...) or does it have quests which can be soiled without a weapon, just like a normal rpg and not like these boring "action rpgs" because i thought about bying it but i bought ds and was so dissapointed. next to stupid invaders the worst game ive ever bought!

Trumpcard
06-24-2002, 12:59 AM
I agree that the camera angles are a pain in the ass, but overall I think it's great It's not the game itself that is so amazing as much as the implementation of the concept. Have you actually played with the DM client? Thats where the true power lies, the single player game (which I actually like) is just a tiny tip of the iceberg, the real focus of it is the ability to run a 'REAL' D&D game from a computer. The DM has the ability to quickly create modules (its got a great toolkit), and further, he has the ability to interactively run the game, adding dynamic content and making up 'as he goes along' , just like a real D&D game.

The power comes in the ability to take it and make it about anything you want. Is it an EQ killer? Absolutely if you ask me, because the power lies in the hands of the indivudual server owners, not in a 3rd party company. Plus, theres no monthy fee, and characters can be carried onwards into other campaigns/modules.

You can only compare the interface to DS or D2 (both great games on their own)

SlappyOil
06-24-2002, 01:15 AM
Well, I must admit, I have not actually fooled around with the toolkit...was an initial dissappointment due to the interface, but maybe the DM client is its saving grace..will check it out soon..and as far as "no pay to play", well, I can't argue with that at all..paid for 2 accounts for over 2 years now...it does add up!

Thanks for the new perspective!

inkubus
06-24-2002, 01:52 AM
I personally have not had chance to play it yet but i will definately be buying it sometime this week. Classic games just need to be in your games collection even if they get boring after 3 weeks of constant gaming. You never know when you're gonna be bored and fancy owning joor friends on a custom built campaign with another 50 players.

Trumpcard
06-24-2002, 02:36 AM
True.. I hit Babbages every couple of months and rack up on all the 9.99 reduced games. You never know when you might end up with time to play with it..

I had some fun playing with NWN nights though this weekend, we created an army of dragons and set them loose on a horde of giants, liches, and Doom knights...

I have to give NWN credit for being the 1st company to be able to do dragon models right, dragons in this game are REALLY cool. I can't wait to see the custom modules that people start writing, its like a super form of the old 'Unlimited Adventures' game.

Brykanst
07-01-2002, 09:27 AM
lol you people are far to addicted to EQ NWN is awsome

Ariak
07-04-2002, 10:32 AM
DND = lame..

Trumpcard
07-04-2002, 03:05 PM
How the heck can you call D&D lame? If it wasnt for D&D, you'd be addicted to EverPong right now....

Ariak
07-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Lets just put it simply: DND requires no skill; only attitude.

DND is based on how serious you take the game. I do NOT like role-playing. It is nerdy, IMHO. I am a damn hardcore gamer (1st lvl 50 in daoc, heh) but I will not cross over the line.

Sorry. Personal preference.

stormgod
07-04-2002, 03:59 PM
its well known , D&D is only for fools who think of themselves as gods and the like

Arghhhhh.

its anything but serious , role playing is to make great fun with good friends a little away from your screenlight

I cant understand how someone could love so much online rpg without playing one single time to a good IRL rpg with some friends , in a small room with cigarette smoke , drinks ( maybe some beer ) and peanuts dealing with monsters till early in the morning

come one just try it one time you'll see what it really is , or you will play with really bad DM cause a good RPG cant be boring.

anyway , its your opinion , but if you dont like rpg then dont bother to play IRL-rpg players oriented games like NWN

(its not a flame though , I know many peeps thinking like that too not to say almost all.. )

Trumpcard
07-05-2002, 02:34 AM
Hmmm... Powergaming, Ive never understood that.. You only understand 1/10 of the games true potential. Not my cup of tea, I prefer the depth of involving yourself in an inticate story.

I guess the differences showed when I played EQ. When everyone else was powerleveling and twinking characters, I was running around doing quests, getting excited when I replaced my 7/30 1 hander with a 7/28 one, or finishing a quest I had been working on.

Hmm, maybe D&D is nerdy, but personally, I'd consider anyone that spends 16 hours a day with his ass planted in front of a computer monitor while he tries to get uberloot much more of a nerd than a guy that gets together with 6 of his friends, drinks beer, talks about girls, and plays a serious game that requires imagination and innovative thinking. Personal preference. Computers, even NWN with its innovation are only a pale shadow of how much fun a real Roleplaying sessions can be.

I don't think most EQ powergamers have 6 friends, so actually playing a real RP game is probably out of the question... LOL

I respect your opinion Ariak, but your probably way in the minority here.

And REAL DND requires lots of skill and imagination, much more than a computer game ever will. Even the most advanced computer games are nothing but an incomplete imitation for the glory that is a true Role Playing game. I'd prefer to be quick with my mind rather than quick with my finger.

Brykanst
07-05-2002, 10:29 AM
they are sort of right about DND but hey i prefer vampire and warewolf over it anyday hehe that and L5R

Zio
07-05-2002, 08:34 PM
How the heck can you call D&D lame? If it wasnt for D&D, you'd be addicted to EverPong right now....

OMFG OMFG, SORRY IF THIS IS AN OLD POST BUT OMFG.

TRUMPCARD. YOU JUST MADE MY DAY LOL! :D

EVERPONG

Zio
07-05-2002, 08:37 PM
I don't think most EQ powergamers have 6 friends, so actually playing a real RP game is probably out of the question... LOL

OMFG. SO TRUE. MORE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAY :D

Trumpcard
07-06-2002, 02:02 AM
LOL... Sorry if I flamed a bit on that one, though I must say I made sure to not direct it at anyone personally. (but anyone who wants to get personally pissed off if they fit the category is welcome to do so).

I try really hard not to bash what other people enjoy doing, but I'll damn sure return a bashing when they make rash generalizations about my stuff...LOL..

somedude
07-06-2002, 06:07 AM
Amen Trumpcard.... I have a good imagination.. And there will ALWAYS be more things to do in your mind... Than a piece of hardware :) And theres NO point to power gaming... I remember in eq... I was happy about getting 2 Langsaxs for my warrior at level 20.... at 20 my warrior was using 2 Langsaxs and full banded, but I was proud, because I didnt use some UbAh character and camp some camp for 24 hours to get UbAh gear for my level one... and I did it all myself... I even MADE the banded LOL..... its much more fun that way... maybe your not a pro ass kicker (excuse the language) but... at least you dont need UbAh gear to have fun in eq... just a few of my thoughts

Brykanst
07-07-2002, 01:10 PM
lol i had my last account the banned one hehe for over a year before i got it banned and my high was 18