PDA

View Full Version : Teasers

Kayot
05-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm making this thread for all teasers from this point onwards.

http://kayosblade.googlepages.com/teaser05262008.gif

The icon chooser is Dr Schlocks, he left before the project picked up. But as you can see. It's a work of art. I'm speeding along, I'm sure I'll have a beta run soon.

Bulle
05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
This looks promising indeed. You have probably thought about it, but with this many windows I hope the tool remembers their placement and restores them at their last position on-screen when you close/open them... Being able to spread that nicely over my two screens would be a great plus. Which should be possible if you use multiple floating windows "a-la-Eclipse", not MDI (yuck).

A few questions :
- what will be the (software) requirements to run the tool ? I guess Windows is the platform, but what about librairies (VB, .NET etc) ?
- have you tried it with Wine, on Linux ? Not a requirement, finding a Windows platform is not hard, but something worth checking
- will you make the source code and compile instructions available ?

The reason for the last question is I am working on a Wiki-based tool to define new items/NPCs etc at the moment, and the Wiki page specifies the item as a "delta" from another item, in a similar way your item editor shows the item stats, with only what has changed. I was wondering if I could come and try to plug a "Save to Wiki" button in there to use your tool as a front-end for Wiki page writing.

Kayot
05-26-2008, 09:52 AM
- what will be the (software) requirements to run the tool ? I guess Windows is the platform, but what about librairies (VB, .NET etc) ?

I'm thinking any system that can run windows xp can run this. The dev system I'm making it on is a 2ghz 1gb ram and 6200 nvidia screen size 1920x 1200. The docking system doesn't save screen layout yet. I'll probably add it as an option during the beta. This is a .net 2.0 project and the library is freely available at Microsoft's website and is included with widows update/ and is part of vistas basic install.

- have you tried it with Wine, on Linux ? Not a requirement, finding a Windows platform is not hard, but something worth checking

Mono should work fine, no need to do anything special except install mono which is free.

- will you make the source code and compile instructions available ?

Not sure, when I started it was open, but then the whole team vacated before the first form was finished (And it was the account editor which was simple). Dr Shlock did the icon extraction work, mainly because I couldn't figure out why it was blowing the icons up past 40x40. After he left I redid sections of his code and modified the icons/pallets, but I still consider it his work as I could never get it to work as well as he did. Sesmar made an SQL engine, but I stripped it out when I rebuilt the whole program from scratch (Long story), Sesmar was invaluable when he got the Drag'n Drop to work properly. As for it being open, I'm sloppy, very very sloppy. And a lot of my comments are both offending and probably racist on some level. If I do release the source it will be after I consider the program finished (Not complete, just finished where the only thing left is optimization and condensation. That will give me a chance to remove said comments.) As for options, when it goes into beta, get on then and I'll probably add it in, especially if its a challenge.

I abandoned the mdi form, I two box and run the primary window on my dev machine. Since PEQ releases their DB, I lookup the info while playing and it helps to have it on screen when playing. I plan to make it a system tray icon only when I get it to the point of beta.