PDA

View Full Version : War in Freeport and Qeynos

eski2
05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
It's beyond my skills but as an idea, i wanted to see if anyone was interested. What about a quest or trigger to change the cities of freeport and qeynos so that the opposed guard or warrior factions would fight each other, and the city would spawn raiders inside, until either one faction won randomly or (more heroically!) the players tipped the scales? Sort of a permanent change to the server unless a GM reset it, like The Sleeper?

My understanding of the live servers is that they resolved the issue anyway? However, i don't know if or when eqemu will copy that, and this just sounds like fun. I can't even get my basic quests working consistently (grrr!) but the assorted factions fighting outside of shar vahl show that it is doable, and it would be nice as a human paladin to truly change the city for the better (or as a nasty dark elf agent, for the worse, bwahahaha!)

I guess if a faction loses, you'd have to change their bind/spawn points like with the frogloks and ogres? Potentially a lot of work i suppose? Still, an exciting thought.

xxarthurxx
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
you could put spawn points into the zone but it would probably work better if a gm was helping the event along, all very doable with just a little work and planning.

Cripp
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
you could use spawn conditions and spawn sets that you can trigger with quests.

Striat
06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
As cripp mentioned, spawn conditions and spawn events can be used easily based on what you want to do.

I've scripted something like this before using a single npc to trigger the event and keep tabs. When I rewrote it last time, I had an observer, an event coordinator, and a trigger. The observer would keep tabs of who was winning and signal the coordinator. The trigger started the event and spawned more soldiers, etc. Whenever the proper conditions were met with the coordinator such as all of the soldiers on one side being 0 and > 0 on the otherside with all of the defined reinforcements also = 0 on the losing side, then the win/loss sequence was triggered and the spawn_condition was changed to signify this.

This works well, however, I've noticed spawn_conditions do not work correctly when a player is not in a zone (especially with static zones) when triggered like this. I haven't looked into it better, but I've used quest globals and timers and had the spawn condition trigger when the global is defined. That works fine. I'll post an example in a day or two.