PDA

View Full Version : The need to vent.

spellcaster
06-27-2002, 08:24 AM
You guys (n girls) are great, and in the OT section I feel I need a vent, and you can all ignore my post, I'll understand. But, I publically need to vent my anger about some stuff going on RL for me and just how much it gets on my nerves.

I work for a company, Im one of their senior IT Technicians, Ive worked in IT some 17 years, admittedly my parents got me writing programs for companies from 13-16 when I left and got the money for me.

I worked as a techy and a programmer for the last 14 years, during which time Ive had plenty of xp in many areas of the job. I consider myself average, I have no qualifications to speak of, but, have I would say a reasonable all round understanding of many of the things that are computer related.

For 12 of those 14 years, I have worked a 8-4:30 job. Now, and only now am I suddenly told by the dirtbag company I work for that they *NEED* me to do shifts. why? Some pointy haired boss feels that the company will benefit. Theres a recruitment freeze on, 3 people are leaving as they have refused to do the shifts and it was do it or get out.. so, its less people working over more hours, standards are going down quick. Im treated like I feel out of school with a qualification in nose picking yesterday.

These shifts start next monday.

Along with that there are, as in many companies the morons, the big heads and the lamewads. However, our company seems to be 'care in the community' every harf baked useless fool in the entire country seems to work for us. The more stupid and annoying and incapable you are the more they pay you, I swear, my bellybutton fluff could be ECO/MD. Einstein though would be cleaner.

In all my years of working Ive never worked in a place where the senior staff are so blind to the working practices going on, so blinkered to their petty little empires and so frustrated with being responsible for tons and in control not even of my own desk space.

Ive been asked to do out of hours support. Guess what, they dont even want to pay 1 dollar an hour for this cover.. theres an answer to that. It aint polite. (hence ommitted) but off is half of it.

Now I've vented to the entire world just how frustrated I am.. Any moderator is more than welcome to delete this post, I just needed to tell the world in a semi anonymous manner so I cant be fired for it, but that anyone who knows will know.. you know?

Think of me monday... On the plus side, I may technically be getting to work less hours for more money, just odder hours and so.. MORE EVERQUEST!

Baron Sprite
06-27-2002, 09:32 AM
They suck :D

spellcaster
06-27-2002, 09:51 AM
That they do, but sadly because they dont see themselves the way anyone else does.. we all know it wont change.

Baltar
06-27-2002, 09:55 AM
but you get more everquest :)

Ariak
06-27-2002, 01:07 PM
If you think your company cares for you.. You are wrong..

They hired you to make money. :(

Capitalism at its best!

Ariak
06-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Side note..

Less work, same $?

Why complain?? :) Do you drive to work in rush-hour now?

Weigh the positives with the negatives.

Trumpcard
06-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Be happy you have a job... I know alot of people that have been laid off thanks to the big .com IT crash and the subsequent shitty economy. IT pro's don't have quite the options we did 2 years ago, and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

I picked a great company. They work the hell out of me, but they make it worthwhile. I do 24/7 support of several systems these days, I don't know what product you guys have, but it's not as bad as you might think.

Hmm
06-27-2002, 06:52 PM
heh be happy you got better than minium work hours and fulltime (or more)

i got only 10 cents higher than minium and only like 10 hours a week. i can barely pay rent.

spellcaster
06-28-2002, 04:36 AM
Maybe, but today they want me to sell my soul 24/7 for an extra 150 a month rather than the standard 40 whatever it is a week..

150 for my SOUL.. I wouldnt be able to get drunk, go out anywhere like cinema, restaurant etc, no going away, no stuff like that for 150..

**** and OFF come to mind.

So, today, when the offer was reduced to 150 for 360 hours work.. I refused point blank, no maybes no if yous.. NO. straight and blunt. NO

a_Guest03
06-28-2002, 07:11 AM
I love negotiations, and the battles that follow when one party has been clueless for ages, and insists that they get their way or WAAAAAHHHHHHHH. Of course, you don't fall into the WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH category spellcaster. I just think it's really humorous when a major national corporation has absolutely no real power to make you stay. To demonstrate, I'll list the major sources of power:

Retribution :mad:
Reward :D
Reverence :cool:

If they can't reward you, punish you, or gain your awe, they have no power over you. But, you have the power of Reward or Retribution (help them out, or let them suffer). Tell them to **** off. :) You know they need you more than you need them. Just make sure you don't fear the consequences, and you can either make your demands just as radical until the managers inform the honchos what idiots they are, and they cave; or just say no. You did a good job in saying that the matter is out of the question, because that's the only way to really make it clear that you're done negotiating until they get some power. Just hope that they don't get any retribution power over you. :p Good luck dealing with them

spellcaster
06-28-2002, 07:46 AM
Well.. They have no one to cover as from Monday, so, I hope they come round, coz no one else will do it, with us all doing shifts they will not do on call service as well, hence their decision to find 1 single moron who would agree.. Well.. The moron wont be me for that money..