PDA

View Full Version : linux setup help

opyrus
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
im running ubuntu 8.04 i was able to compile eqemu 1118 with out any issues but after i try to run the server i get segmentation fault. as soon as anyone trys to log in the server world gets segmentation fault.

trevius
07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Any reason why you are using Ubuntu? There is a debian Wiki page that includes pretty much every aspect of getting a server up and running and tweaked and it works well. You can use whatever flavor of Linux that you like, but I am just curious why you chose Ubuntu over one with better information. Unless you already had Ubuntu loaded prior to deciding to setup an EQEmu Linux server.

I don't know why you would get a seg fault, as I have never experienced that on my build. But, you might want to post the ./start and ./stop scripts that you are using for the server. Maybe those scripts are what is causing your problem.

opyrus
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
ive used ubuntu b4 and i had a copy laying around as far as scripts i dident use one i just did ./eqlaunch zone and ./world everything loaded fine ubuntu is a deb based system thow.

trevius
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, again, I don't know offhand why you might get a segfault, but you might want to check out the Debian Wiki just incase it has some helpful info that could be some assistance. Since many versions of Linux have quite a few commonalities, most of this stuff probably applies to all of them:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DebianLinuxServer

opyrus
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
ya ive been reading and trying the wikis.

Bishop4351
07-10-2008, 09:10 AM
You might try starting the server manually like ./world and a few ./zones to see if those work.

I've run the server on gentoo and centos and it worked well there.

mrthelarge
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I had a similar problem with 64-bit Ubuntu. Specifically, world, zone, and eqlaunch segfaults when trying to handle the logs/ directory.

You could always compile it in a 32-bit chroot environment or if you have vmware compile it in a 32-bit Ubuntu install, then copy the binaries back to your 64-bit system. If you have all the 32-bit compatibility packages in place it should run just fine.

You'll also need to drag along a 32-bit libperl.5.8.so library so embedded perl works correctly.

Hope this helps!

lazypower
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
In my experience, segfaults are due to a few things...

A segmentation fault occurs when a program attempts to access a memory location that it is not allowed to access, or attempts to access a memory location in a way that is not allowed (for example, attempting to write to a read-only location, or to overwrite part of the operating system).

Other reasons are due to faulty hardware, a non-sane build environment, and a few other things I cant think of right off hand...

roostermhm
10-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Ubuntu is the only linux distro that sees my network and shared printer out of the box, that's why I was cruising the forums to see if it works.