PDA

View Full Version : Focus Effects and Modified Spells

erik_llewellyn
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
I have been working on modifying the spell list quite heavily, but found that all focus effects stopped working. So I reverted back to the originial spell list and all is well and good once more. Then I try to modify just 1 spell (changing only what classes can use it), and focus effects become broken, but the spell does work for the new classes now.

Any one ran into something similar and been able to figure out what causes it? My end goal is to make all spells usable by all classes at what ever level I set them to.

Thanks for the help!

erik_llewellyn
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
After countless testing, I have discovered the answer to my own question.

The fix: do NOT set a spell to bard usable as it gets treated as a "song" reguardless of the players class and thus focus effects dont work with it, nor do bard items like flutes, drums, ect...modifiy the spell since it doesn't have the appropriate fields flagged for the spell.

As another note, you can change any other class to use it and all is well.

ChaosSlayer
07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
have you tried giving a bard song to another class? will another class be able to use the song just like bard can?

would be nice to have say druid raidiating a healing aura around him

erik_llewellyn
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I tested your idea out, and yes, adding a "song" to say a druid's list of usable spells does allow the druid to use it, but they still cannot move while casting it. I did not try out instrument mods to the added spells, but based on my previous post, I doubt they would effect the song.

Also, adding a spell to the bard's "song" list will let them "cast" it. HOWEVER! it still lets them run around while it's being cast and not interrupt the spell due to movement thus making bards the UBER class to be if you did a true all/all spell/song server.

KLS
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I know it's been a few days since this was posted but I'd just like to comment. The difference between spells and songs as you found out is who can cast them, song behavior is built into the bard class and does not easily translate out of it.

Basically any spell that has bard on it is classified as a song for purposes of spell focus, yet only bards can get the song like behavior because that's built into the class and not the spell. I know you already came to that conclusion but just wanted to clarify it was because of how the classes react to spell casting not because of how the spells react.