To start the server, open a terminal window and type:

cd /home/eqemu/server
./start

I get this:

cd ~eqemu/server
./start
bash: ./start: Permission denied
eqemu@Necromongers:~/server$

So you must have X running? right click 'properties' on the file and check 'is executable'.

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
ok so what file is x??

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 07:21 PM
hehe ok now it shows this:

eqemu@Necromongers:~$ cd ~eqemu/server
eqemu@Necromongers:~/server$ ./start
+ LNAME=zone
+ '[' '' = test ']'
++ pwd
+ P=/home/eqemu/server
+ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/home/eqemu/server
+ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/home/eqemu/server
+ mkdir -p logs
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-zones -a '!' -e .lock-world ']'
+ for f in 'logs/eqemu_*.log'
+ '[' 'logs/eqemu_*.log' = logs/eqemu_commands_zone.log ']'
+ rm -f 'logs/eqemu_*.log'
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-world ']'
+ touch .lock-world
+ ./persist_world
+ sleep 15
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-launcher ']'
+ touch .lock-launcher
+ ./eqlaunch zone

does this mean i did right?

Angelox
07-29-2008, 07:25 PM
By X I meant X-windows, your (Linux windows). I was trying to make life a little easier for you; right click on your script(file) named 'start' and select 'properties' - you'll see the option for making it an executable there.

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
i did that and i got this

eqemu@Necromongers:~$ cd ~eqemu/server
eqemu@Necromongers:~/server$ ./start
+ LNAME=zone
+ '[' '' = test ']'
++ pwd
+ P=/home/eqemu/server
+ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/home/eqemu/server
+ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/home/eqemu/server
+ mkdir -p logs
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-zones -a '!' -e .lock-world ']'
+ for f in 'logs/eqemu_*.log'
+ '[' 'logs/eqemu_*.log' = logs/eqemu_commands_zone.log ']'
+ rm -f 'logs/eqemu_*.log'
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-world ']'
+ touch .lock-world
+ ./persist_world
+ sleep 15
+ '[' '!' -e .lock-launcher ']'
+ touch .lock-launcher
+ ./eqlaunch zone

does this mean the server has started??

Angelox
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Is this your 'first time ever' with Linux? Anyway, post your start script. under what are you running all this (root, eq, etc)?

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry yes this my first time with Linux my start script is

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DebianLinuxServer

#!/bin/sh

#ulimit -c 99999999

rm -f .zone_shutdown
rm -f .world_shutdown

set -x

LNAME="zone" #launcher name
if [ "$1" = "test" ]; then
LNAME="test"
fi

P=`pwd`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$P"

#make sure we have a place to log
mkdir -p logs 2>&1 > /dev/null

#clear out old logs, if both are stopped
if [ ! -e .lock-zones -a ! -e .lock-world ] ; then
for f in logs/eqemu_*.log
do
if [ "$f" = "logs/eqemu_commands_zone.log" ]; then
continue;
fi

rm -f $f
done
fi

#boot up world
if [ ! -e .lock-world ] ; then
touch .lock-world
# ./world 2>&1 > logs/world &
./persist_world 2>&1 > logs/world &
# wait for shared memory to load
sleep 15
fi

#start up the official launcher
if [ ! -e .lock-launcher ]; then
touch .lock-launcher
./eqlaunch $LNAME 2>&1 > logs/launcher &
fi

Angelox
07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Look in your /eqemu/server/logs/
what do they say?

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
well here thay are

---------------------------------------------
[07.29. - 17:09:53] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_debug_31133.log
[07.29. - 17:09:53] [LAUNCHER__INIT] Loading server configuration..
[07.29. - 17:09:53] [NET__WORLD] WorldConnection connect: Connecting to the server 127.0.0.1:9000 failed: TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: Connection refused
[07.29. - 17:09:53] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] worldserver.Connect() FAILED! Will retry.
[07.29. - 17:09:53] [LAUNCHER__INIT] Starting main loop...
[07.29. - 17:09:53] [COMMON__THREADS] Starting TCPConnectionLoop with thread ID -1213047888

31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_debug_world.log
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [RULES__CHANGE] Resetting running rules to default values
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [WORLD__INIT] Loading server configuration..
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [WORLD__INIT] Log settings loaded from log.ini
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [WORLD__INIT] CURRENT_WORLD_VERSION:EQEMu 0.7.0
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [WORLD__INIT] Connecting to MySQL...
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] [WORLD__INIT_ERR] Cannot continue without a database connection.

31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_error_world.log
31074 [07.29. - 17:09:38] Failed to connect to database: Error: #1045: Access denied for user 'eq'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
31083 [07.29. - 17:09:40] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_error_world.log
31083 [07.29. - 17:09:40] Failed to connect to database: Error: #1045: Access denied for user 'eq'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
31089 [07.29. - 17:09:42] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_error_world.log
31089 [07.29. - 17:09:42] Failed to connect to database: Error: #1045: Access denied for user 'eq'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

[Debug] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_debug_31133.log

[Debug] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_debug_world.log
[Debug] [RULES__CHANGE] Resetting running rules to default values
[Debug] [WORLD__INIT] Loading server configuration..
[Debug] [WORLD__INIT] Log settings loaded from log.ini
[Debug] [WORLD__INIT] CURRENT_WORLD_VERSION:EQEMu 0.7.0
[Debug] [WORLD__INIT] Connecting to MySQL...
[Error] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_error_world.log
[Error] Failed to connect to database: Error: #1045: Access denied for user 'eq'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Angelox
07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Linux is a whole new ball game, unlike windows, Linux is secure by default. I see a few issues in the log, you biggest one is, you haven't set up your MySql accounts properly.
See if your distro includes 'mysql-administrator', if so, install it. If not, go here;
http://rpm.pbone.net/ try to find and install it. This program (mysql-administrator) will make things very easy for you.

Jack Daniel
07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
i will sherch and get back to you tomarrow wiffy back got to go hehe

trevius
07-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Ya, that looks like you don't have your mysql account setup properly for the eq account you created (if you created one at all). The wiki should explain how to do that. You can post the line you entered here, but don't forget to replace your password before you post it. You don't want to post your password heh.

You might also be able to resolve this by adjusting your my.cnf file as described in the wiki for allowing remote access to the database. Your database will still be secure as long as you aren't creating mysql accounts for outside hosts, and/or aren't forwarding port 3306 on your router.

Jack Daniel
07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Linux is a whole new ball game, unlike windows, Linux is secure by default. I see a few issues in the log, you biggest one is, you haven't set up your MySql accounts properly.
See if your distro includes 'mysql-administrator', if so, install it. If not, go here;
http://rpm.pbone.net/ try to find and install it. This program (mysql-administrator) will make things very easy for you.

Ok so how do i install mysql-administraror-5.0r12-8.fc9.i386.rpm that i download. plz if you can

N0ctrnl
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Might be time for you to look at the Windows version dude.

To answer your question...

rpm -Uhv mysql-administraror-5.0r12-8.fc9.i386.rpm

Hopefully you won't be missing dependencies.

Jack Daniel
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Might be time for you to look at the Windows version dude.

To answer your question...

rpm -Uhv mysql-administraror-5.0r12-8.fc9.i386.rpm

Hopefully you won't be missing dependencies.

ok the terminal gives me this

bash: rpm: command not found

so if you can help plz im very new to debian linux

Jack Daniel
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
ok the terminal gives me this

bash: rpm: command not found

so if you can help plz im very new to debian linux

or how do i install navicat on my debian linux box

N0ctrnl
07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
See previous statement re: Windows.

Jack Daniel
07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
See previous statement re: Windows.

my windows version is debian xwindows and im new to linux hehe

N0ctrnl
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Navicat for Linux can be downloaded from their website at http://www.navicat.com/. I do honestly think you'd be better off going back to Windows (Microsoft Windows, not X Windows (X)).

Why did you choose Linux anyway? Seems to me that you need something a little easier to use. Learning how to admin a Linux box seems a bit out of the scope of the EQEmulator project, and given the exposed nature of it, you're probably going to end up hurting yourself in the long run.

Jack Daniel
07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Navicat for Linux can be downloaded from their website at http://www.navicat.com/. I do honestly think you'd be better off going back to Windows (Microsoft Windows, not X Windows (X)).

Why did you choose Linux anyway? Seems to me that you need something a little easier to use. Learning how to admin a Linux box seems a bit out of the scope of the EQEmulator project, and given the exposed nature of it, you're probably going to end up hurting yourself in the long run.

LOL because i like the Challenge

N0ctrnl
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Nearest I can tell, it's not you that's been challenged thus far. :)

Also, Navicat for Linux just runs in Wine, so I dunno if I'd count on that to get the job done or not.

Angelox
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
my windows version is debian xwindows and im new to linux hehe

This is sort of like jumping in the deep end of the pool, but not knowing how to swim - now you're in the water (drowning), asking someone how swimming is done.
If you want to learn Linux, that's fine - Linux is something good to learn, especially if you don't have a lot of money (like me!). You have to learn the new OS first - you need to learn what all these things mean such as 'rpm', 'script', etc. You have to get accustomed and familiar with Linux first.
EqEmu is not going do install and run like it does in windows - In Linux, it's a learning trip. You'll have to Google a lot because eventually people will start avoiding you at the forums with your 'Linux-elementary' questions. I still search forums/Google most everything, rather than start bothering everyone in the forums with questions that can easily be found.
Cavedude has a nice installer for windows, you should try it.

trevius
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Linux servers are superior to windows. The fact that player ghosting doesn't exist on Linux, but does on Windows is enough for any serious admin to try it.

But, Linux certainly isn't for the non-technical. It can be very complex and one minor thing can cause hours of headache.

You don't need to install mysql admininstrator or anything. As long as you follow the wiki, you can get a server running with minimal issues. Your current problem appears to be with your mysql account that you are using for the emulator. Or possibly with the access for that account in your my.cnf file.

Once you fix that, you should be good to go. You are 99% of the way done now and just need that final thing to get it working.

But, if you don't have a separate windows PC that you can use for editing your database, you are going to have a much harder time. It can all be done from the Linux PC, but you can't run any of GeorgeS tools, or the spell editors. All you can run are PHP tools (which are very limited) and Navicat or you have to edit your database manually in mysql command line. I wasn't even able to get Navicat working on my Linux box at all, and I worked on it for a while. Though, I do have it running on my windows PC and able to connect to my Linux server to manage my database.

If you only have 1 PC to devote to this, you would be better off just using Windows. But, if you do have a spare PC you can run windows on to manage your database, then by all means, keep trying to get Linux working. You are so close and once you have it running, there isn't much more to it. Try googling your problems. You can find alot that way. Between that, the wikis and posts here, I got mine running with minimal help.