PDA

View Full Version : eth0 and 192.x.x.x increases each reboot

thepoetwarrior
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Im setting Linux up on a differnt pc now, and just from a fresh install of Debian from the install guide, doing ifconfig -a is giving me a higher eth0 and 192.168.1.x each time I reboot. Im trying to set to static and its not working. I been google searching for a few hours now, trying differnt stuff, such as:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

From continued searching, looks like dhcp might disable static ips. The Debian install guide got cut off at the end, and the last part of the install before auto-reboot is the question "Modify smb.conf to use WINS settings from DHCP?" and Im assuming the answer should be "no"?

Im trying to figure out this local ip thing before going any futher in the setup of the eqemu server. Or else I'll have to edit the local ip in eqemu_config.xml each time the computer reboots and obtains a new local IP. Worse case senario with that is leave the PC on forever unless power outage, in which case I'd need a battery backup anyways. I rather have this fixed as static and not worry about the ip again.

Also, under Network Settings Window, Connections Tab, showing Ethernet connection - The interface eth5 is not configured. That eth5 would become eth6 on next reboot, and local IP would increase +1 too.

The network wire connects to a 10/100 port in the motherboard, not a seperate NIC. Maybe its not recognized by Linux? I wouldn't know what drivers to install for that since its off the MB.

I thought maybe it was cause the PC was connected to a switched thats connected to a router, since the router was full, but after switching wires realized that wasn't it. Trying to eliminate possiblities.

Sorry for being noob on Linux + Networking. Been google searching for several hours with no luck. Would appreicate if anyone has any ideas on this. I've already gotten Linux EQEMu up and running on another PC without any problems.

thepoetwarrior
08-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, I installed a NIC to use that instead of the MB one, and its finally working as eth1, and the MB connection keeps increasing, started at eth2, now eth3, etc. At least the NIC Im using, eth1 has the same IP after reboot, so that might have fixed the problem. I've already successfully gotten linux server up and running on another PC so the only thing I can think of that is differnt was the hardware. Note: Use PCI NIC to solve some IP problems.

lazypower
09-11-2008, 01:46 AM
The behavior you are referring to with your motherboard was common among some tulip module based NIC cards. I experienced this with a 2.2.x kernel and a Linksys PCI 10/100 LAN NIC. Needless to say, I did what you did, trashed it and got another.