PDA

View Full Version : Server Configurator

Kolo
07-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Is there much of a need for a small application that has a "pretty" windows interface to help people configure there INI files? I program VB for work and use INI Files almost too much and thought....this would be cake. I just ran accross this emulator, getting kinda upset at ethernalquest and decided to look, so I dont know if the INI's change alot or if they stay pretty consistent. The only version I have setup and run is 3.3.4 and only have a problem logging more than one user on from different PC's. But that's a whole other matter.

Please, reply with input on this matter....

Thanks

Lurker_005
07-03-2002, 05:48 AM
The files have remained pretty static. It would probably be nice to have a program help set them up. Especially if you do options to change between minilogin with localhost, minilogin with Lan IP, eqemu login with internet IP And also actually find out the real lan and internet IP automatically. Prompt for things like server name, number of zones. Verify proper program locations and paths.

I think I would also include a display of the files with the filled in data color highlighted so they can see how it should be. Perhaps they will learn a little from it...

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

Kolo
07-17-2002, 04:40 AM
Guess I didnt quite understand this completely...in the login server INI file there is a username and password. Is this the username and password required for the login server to connect to the world server (or vice-versa)? I was laying out the form the other day in my limited spare time and realized I dont understand entirely how they all connect together as far as:
Does the login server and all the zones connect to the world server...there are 2 IP's listed for each zone server...Which one is the IP for connecting to the worldserver? What's the other one for?
Does anyone have a nice little chart of the connectivity model? I'd be glad to meet someone on IRC so they could D/L it to me or whatever. Just wanted to get this project done to limit the number of configuration questions on the boards.

Lurker_005
07-17-2002, 06:45 AM
I'll give this a shot...

db.ini = gives eqemu (minilogin/world/zone) info to connect to mysql

loginserver.ini = info for world to connect to the loginserver (or minilogin) Also info for the loginserver to give to clients to connect to world. The username and pass are left blank (only the dev's use these)

Boot5zones.bat = number of zoneservers to run. The first IP, and port is the zone servers IP that is given to world, and passed to the client. The second IP is how zone connects to world. Oh yea, the peroid means auto load zones on demand (as opposed to forcing a zoneserver to run a peticular zone)

The real problems to try and solve for the user is that they don't understand about networking, public and private IP's and that 127.0.0.1/localhost ALWAYS refer to the same machine