PDA

View Full Version : ultra-newb!

MiNdLeSsSpAcE
07-03-2002, 09:27 AM
mkay.... i wanna get serious with C (and/or) C++ programming... would anyone (who is good at this kinda stuff) be able to give me a title of a good beginners book or maybe something that is easy to pick up on? anything would be appreciated.

oh, and if you're gonna say C for Dummies save your time and don't post.

once i can do this stuff i will gladly help the eqemu dev. team or join one cause i'd love to get this stuff working perfektly... that and i've nothing better to do.
along with learning this stuff i wouldn't mind pointers on world creating (not sure if it's the right term... just wanna learn better ways for spawn creation, item creation stuff like that)

thanks a lot.

aren't these things awsome? http://www.doggles.com/

MiNdLeSsSpAcE
07-03-2002, 09:32 AM
oh ya... i forgot to mention i DO have a C compiler (don't remember if it's C++ too, i think it is). though i've yet to install in on this computer i've got Microsoft Visual Studio which includes the compiler along with a few others. any input on that program (if any of you have it) would be nice too. thanks again

somedude
07-04-2002, 07:59 AM
first get KaZaA and you can download tons of e-books on there for free, have fun, C++ is very hard, from what I hear, but im 13 and going to colledge, so its C++ \ Java \ Ruby \ vB for me... ehehehehe... so ttyl

Trumpcard
07-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Lots of good C beginner tutorials out there on the net, and eBooks. I always liked the Deital & Deital C/C++ books myself as far as hard copy books go.

C++ is not that hard, it's just learning to understand object oriented programming methodology thats the kicker.

Ariak
07-04-2002, 03:36 PM
I can't program. =/

MiNdLeSsSpAcE
07-05-2002, 06:13 AM
mkay. dunno why i never thought of using kazaa thanks =D i'm still looking for some good titles though. oh and hopefully i won't have to much trouble... i've learned a little and have had no problem so far, but it was all basic stuff (i.e. text, key response, cursor response, random text/number generators)

somedude
07-05-2002, 03:07 PM
never tried books on KaZaA, was just a suggestion...

Zio
07-05-2002, 08:07 PM
but im 13 and going to colledge

Must I add my comment?

- No put i'll add this.

LOL :D

I'll also add this:

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=colledge

MiNdLeSsSpAcE
07-06-2002, 10:56 AM
lol i didn't notice that.

oh well that's what ya get for reading posts when you're barely able to keep your eyes open eh?

stiiillll looking for some titles people. i've been looking around borders but there's to many.. i've found a good book to learn C++ but of course it assumes the reader knows C.

well if nobody knows a good title what should the book have in it? start with basic messages and work up to what?

madborg
07-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Must I add my comment?

- No put i'll add this.

LOL :D

I'll also add this:

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=colledge

You will have a field day with me then because I am the typo king.
I made my first typo 30 years before you were born and I will make my last 30 years after i am dead.

madborg
07-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Forget about about C -- it will just confuse things for you with C++. You can still program C-ish with C++. Every job ads says "requires C/C++" but all the interview questions are really C++. So unless you plan to do embedded programming, make the leap to C++ as soon as you can.

donfi
07-21-2002, 06:20 AM
Sorry mindless the problem with suggesting a book is the one for me may not be the one for you when it comes to learning to program. Anyone can learn the syntax from any book that accuratly displays it, but to learn the art requires something more then a book.

The best advice is for you to go to Boarders, Barnes and Noble, or the largest bookstore in your area and spend a couple of days thumbing through them till you find one that looks good to you. Then come back and ask about it by name and author or check the comments on Amazon.com preferably both. Only then decide whether or not to buy it.

The most important part is to not only copy the programs from the book (Do not use the cd that invariable comes with them.) but begin to modify them. Break them in various ways in order to learn the messages your compiler gives and how to correct those messages. After a while you will not need books to come up with code to fix problems. You will have begun to learn the art.

After that expose yourself to as much good source code as you can. There is a lot of it on the net. I keep calling it an art because that is how you learn it. It already has to be in you or it will never come out right. Books, exposure to code and other programers will only help refine what is already there.

I am 36 and have been programing since I was 14. I have a library full of books on programing, and several hard drives of code and still I am only a mediocure programer. I wish you well and good luck.