PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Spell Resist Checks for NPCs Casting on Players

trevius
09-01-2008, 04:37 AM
If it is possible, I think it would be awesome if Charisma could be changed in the source to be useful for NPCs. Since I don't think it is a very useful (if at all) NPC stat, would it be possible to write some code to make Charisma decide how well NPCs will land spells on players?

I guess what I am asking is if CHA could be used to adjust resist checks. So, if you have a zone where you want NPCs to land spells almost everytime, you could set the NPCs to have really high CHA. Maybe 1 CHA = -1 resist check or something. For players with 500 resists, you could have 500 CHA to balance it out and allow spells to actually land instead of having to set the NPCs to be considerably higher level than the players to have a chance to land spells.

Anyway, this is just a thought.

ChaosSlayer
09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
would defently be intersting to work with this.

over all i am still not fully understand how resists work in general
it seems that most of the time its all or nothing. would be nice ot have that players resist (and mobs resist) would resist a percentage of a nuke based on actual resistance values.

cuase atm my players reporting that even with very low or ULTRA HIGH resists they get hit for all or nothing (they get hit less with higher resist of course but overall its still a wild guess) - and same applies to mob.
One of my primary play-testers tryied a few test pulls on nuker mobs aroudn lev 35 :with 0 resist gear, +50 and +175, and could not realy tell the diffirence. Even if his survival improved , it wasn't by more than 5% from a whooping +175 resistance gear
Idealy I would like to see a scaling resistance, so every few points of +resistance would actualy shave off a few %% of the nuke rather than roll for some random chance to take or nothign or some hard codded ammount

would be nice if devs could reveal in detail how resistance is coded in

KLS
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Partial resists work. I've had people complain to me a lot about it; usually about binary spells though. I don't think I've ever had someone complain about partials on damage spells or anything. Usually it's: I can resist almost all partial damage but fear still lands on me!

It would probably be better to add a spell penetration stat to npc types than tack it onto cha. That would require re-balancing a lot of npcs in people's databases for a select few encounters, since it's likely npcs will have normal cha for that level even though it barely does anything for npcs. Even baseline default of -75 resist with 75 cha would be a pretty big hindrance to a lot of players. You're talking a baseline 30% chance to be hit with spells with default cha.

ChaosSlayer
09-06-2008, 10:03 PM
one thing i am trying to understand - does partial resist takes off a portion of damage based on amount of resistance you have, or it simply determines that you "have partialy resisted" and reduced damage like by half?