PDA

View Full Version : When playing EQ sometimes on WinXP, BSOD, 0x0000008E error message phys. memory dump

Metroider
09-29-2008, 01:15 AM
E.g. I was with a friend and he was spawning certain monsters and mostly when I attack them this would happen. I used the portal in PoE to Freeport and after seconds of moving around this occurs again.

It isn't very specific the BSOD but what it does say is along the lines of

Disabling caching and shadowing in BIOS

Stop: 0x0000008E
(0xC000001D, 0xE4E87787, 0XA701F88C, 0x00000000)

And then it says something about a physical memory dump.

My specs are

Win XP Home SP3
a720n Hewlett Packard
Amd XP 3200+ 2.2 Ghz
Advanced 400 MHz front side bus Socket A
Via KM400A Chipset
ASUS name: A7V8Z-LA
HP name: Kelut-GL6E
DDR1-333 SDRAM (1 Gb)
Ati Radeon x1600PRO AGP 512mb
SB Live! 24 Bit soundcard

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00232962&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN is my full computer specs if need be

I've played games like Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights, UT2004, Morrowind and Oblivion (they crashed occasionally just to desktop due to Bethesda not knowing how to support a HP computer with HP printer software installed) Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, X3 Reunion, TF2, Garry's Mod, CS:S and Second life.

This is the FIRST game to do this to me like this. I of course have EQ: Titanium. I would think with games I have played like above I could do just fine with EQ...but something just isn't right.

Someone please enlighten me on what I can do to solve this major annoyance. Also I already have given my computer a good air-dusting.

trevius
09-29-2008, 02:40 AM
Normally the Blue Screen of Death almost always means a hardware failure. Most commonly it is due to bad RAM. But, sometimes it can be from your system overheating (especially if overclocked or in an area that doesn't breath well like a cabinet), or even from a hard drive that is starting to fail. Normally though, if your hardware is starting to fail, you will eventually start seeing the problem happen when running other programs. If it was overheating, running CPU intensive games like Oblivion at high settings for extended amount of times, it should cause the problem as well. If it is RAM related, you need something that is a RAM hog to test it, or just download a program to check your ram like mem86 or something. Even though EQ is pretty old, it can still eat up alot of RAM depending on your settings. And if you run multiple sessions at once, it is sure to really use up all of your system resources quickly. If you have file paging disabled, your 1GB of RAM could easily be getting filled with EQ and then crashing your system when there is no more memory available. If the problem is your hard drive, then maybe try uninstalling Titanium completely and deleting the directory, then do a defrag on your hard drive and install the game again and see what happens. But, if you have a sector on your hard drive that is currently bad, it is only a matter of time before the whole thing goes bye bye completely.

Just a few things to consider if it might be related to your hardware :)

Of course, it could still be something else, but from my own experience, BSoD is pretty rarely caused by an actual program in XP.