PDA

View Full Version : Exp Loss Rule , care to test it anyone?

Angelox
10-25-2008, 01:46 PM
This works on a scale of 0 -9 ; '0' will loose you about 1 blue on death and '9' will loose you almost a level. I based it on Cbodmers exploss code, as it seems more sane than the current one we use.

ruletypes.h at around line 26;
RULE_INT ( Character, DeathExpLossMultiplier, 3) //Angelox, adjust how much exp is lost

attack.cpp at around line 1716;
// figure out if they should lose exp
float GetNum [] = {0.005f,0.015f,0.025f,0.035f,0.045f,0.055f,0.065f, 0.075f,0.085f,0.095f };
int Num = RuleI(Character, DeathExpLossMultiplier);
float loss = GetNum[Num];
exploss=(int)((float)GetEXP() * (loss)); //Angelox: loose % of total XP pending rule (choose 0-9)

And the SQL;
Insert into rule_values values (0, 'Character:DeathExpLossMultiplier', 3);

I've been testing it today, looks to be OK - hoping some one else will test too.

ChaosSlayer
10-25-2008, 01:53 PM
how much is 1 yellow?

Angelox
10-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I think was around 3, I changed default - set to three, i put zero by mistake

Derision
10-25-2008, 02:25 PM
You want to check the sanity of the rule setting, to stop a crash when accessing the array if someone sets it to an invalid value:

float GetNum [] = {0.005f,0.015f,0.025f,0.035f,0.045f,0.055f,0.065f, 0.075f,0.085f,0.095f };
int Num = RuleI(Character, DeathExpLossMultiplier);
if((Num < 0) || (Num > 9))
Num = 0;
float loss = GetNum[Num];
exploss=(int)((float)GetEXP() * (loss)); //Angelox: lose % of total XP pending rule (choose 0-9)

I would also change GetNum & Num to more meaningful names.

Angelox
10-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks - I'll let it stand around here a few days before committing it all, incase anyone else has more ideas.
I wasn't really sure why this never got in, probably just forgotten I guess.

AndMetal
10-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Just a thought, but couldn't we just set the rule to the % of a level we want to lose on death instead of predefined options?

common/ruletypes.h
RULE_REAL ( Character, DeathExpLossLevelPercent, 20) //1 yellow of exp lost on death by default. float for a little more accuracy if needed

zone/attack.cpp

float loss = RuleR(Character, DeathExpLossLevelPercent) / 100.0f;
exploss=(int)((float)GetEXP() * (loss)); //Angelox: loose % of total XP

SQL:
INSERT INFO rule_values VALUES (0, 'Character:DeathExpLossLevelPercent', 20);

Angelox
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I went ahead and put it in as I originally had it, since it's based on what cbodmer posted and was running on the Rathe server for a long time now (Derisions addition included).
Not that I think it's any better than yours, I'm just sure it all works as is since it's all been tested doesn't show any problems. The variable experience thing was what I added, and I tested it all week too.
It's always up for change anyway.

ChaosSlayer
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Just a thought, but couldn't we just set the rule to the % of a level we want to lose on death instead of predefined options?

yeah the plain % xp way does seem more straight forward

Angelox
10-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Cavedude; I saw you put back the old exp multiplier back? You can take the one I put in out if it's no good.

cavedude
10-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I added a rule, so admins can either use the old formula or your rule to specify a multiplier. The default is to use your system. I created the rule for purely selfish reasons, I liked the old formula and wished to keep it. But, this is a win-win situation. Stubborn folks like me can continue to use the old system, and people who want control can use yours. :)

ChaosSlayerZ
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I had an interesting idea.

I like idea that peopel loose Xp on death but I don't like idea of people loosing their level.
Is it posible to implement a rule that when you die, you NEVER loose Xp beyond your level?

WillowyLady
05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
CharacterDeathExpLossLevel

This rule exists, Table (rule_values)

Just set to desired level, > than can be made on server?

:)

trevius
05-24-2009, 04:27 PM
That rule sets the level that you will lose exp at if you die, not whether or not you will lose a level. He still wants exp loss, just doesn't want players to lose their level. This is actually not a bad idea. I have exp loss disabled because I don't want people losing their levels when they die, due to the special circumstances of my deleveling system. But, if we stopped people from losing their level when they die and could still have exp penalties, I would enable that.

ChaosSlayerZ
05-24-2009, 04:28 PM
well acutly yes and no
I know of this rule, but this rule doesn't help to address the question asked =)

the rule determines LEVEL after which you START to loose XP

I asked for rule to prevent loss of level

in other words. I can set a rule to you mentioned to level 50
this will mean you do not loose Xp until lev 50

NOW you are lev 65 and you died. And you unding to 64
the rule we set do not in anyway prevent deleveling from 65 to 64 due to death.

PS. Trev beat me to a reply by a second =P