PDA

View Full Version : bard speed spells

slynnes
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I ran into an issue with the speed line of bard songs. Up until I actually got AA's, I had great speed. On linux server i'm able to see that movement was around +240. Then I upgraded my instrument enhancement AA's and my speed went to +305, but unfornately I now move with NO added speed benefit. Any ideas?

AndMetal
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Just off the top of my head, it sounds like there may be a data type issue (using an unsigned 8-bit integer) which causes it to be +49 (binary 100110001 becomes 00110001, which is 49). However, I don't currently have easy access to the source code, so I don't have any way to verify this. If that is the case, though, we just need to mess with the code a bit to make sure we don't overflow like that, either by changing the data type for run speed to 16-bit, or running checks using 16-bit before making it 8-bit.

Deim0s
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
After an extensive search of the forums I found a thread of my exact problem so Im bumping even though its abit old.

These has now become an issue with me as well. Any hope in helping me fix this?

Thanks so much!

jenco420
06-19-2009, 12:04 AM
i remember they put a cap on movement speed and it might be limited in the client also? at least it sounds like it by what Thott wrote years ago

http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/movement_cap.php

Maximum bard speed has remained unchanged for two years now, since before Kunark. A cap was set on bard speed, when the game was young, to thwart crackers that were modifying the running client (by changing the speed modifier in memory to 255). The cap was set to the fastest speed a bard could move at the highest possible level (50), using the fastest possible drum (Selo's Drum of the March). Anyone setting a higher value was set to no modifier at all. One can assume the attempt would be logged.
All bard songs increase with level, and when Kunark came out, Selo's increased as well. But nobody remembered the movement cap. When a bard levelled past 50 and used a Selo's Drum of the March, his speed went past the anti-cracker cap and was reset to zero. This wasn't discovered until just before Kunark ship (surprise, bards weren't well tested), and thus there wasn't time to get a code fix before release. So Selo's was changed to cap at level 50, as a temporary fix until the movement cap could be fixed. That temporary fix still exists today.

From my tests, the cap is set at 24 instrument modifier, for any bard level 50 or beyond (+65% base boost from Selo's), or +156% speed. This same speed should be obtainable by a level 46 bard (61% Selo's boost) with a Drums of the Beast (26 modifier).

Note that faster speeds are supported by the client and the server. GM's move much faster than the bard movement cap. Since there isn't any more processing required to track an object adding 100 units per second as there is an object adding 50 units per second, there aren't any technical reasons for this cap.