PDA

View Full Version : Custom Classes

Melandril
01-25-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm setting up an emu server for the first time, and I was wondering whether there's any easy way to make custom classes. For example:

I'd like to change the BL class into a purely monster summoner class. To meet this end, I'd like to change the class's name, spells, skills, and items. What would it take to accomplish something like this? Are there any projects on this site aimed at that level of customization? etc

Thanks

Deimos
01-25-2009, 01:50 AM
You can't change character selection or add new classes

You can however re distribute stat points via an NPC in-game

You can make custom spells for classes

I'm 99% sure you can change the names of classes in-game, but that, I believe, would require a patch because changing GM stuff requires a patch form what I've seen.

You can make items, but once again these would be for the classes and would show up as the regular classes on items (BL would still be BL on the item).

I haven't tested skills yet.

KLS
01-25-2009, 02:38 AM
You might *MIGHT* be able to change class names via the strings files, though I'd put money on many references being hardcoded.

You can change most things about classes, what spells and disciplines they get. Skills are a bit touchy, you can change what level they get them and how high they can be trained but you can't change what skills they get.

You can pretty much change items to do whatever you want aside from letting people without dual wield use two one handed weapons. You could change beastlords into melee oriented plate wearers if you wanted for example.

ChaosSlayer
01-25-2009, 03:00 AM
i have succesefuly edited string file and changed Necromancers into Warlocks :D you can as well change such things as gods and races names - its all pure text (it may still appear as necro on things like AA tabs i think)

btw I have tried altering at what level a class can get a skill - and NPC GM would stil not train me (to be specific I tried giving bard dual wield at lev 5) - have anyone has been able to change this with success?

KLS
01-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Oh I got it backwards kinda, it's been so long since I've implemented it. You can change IF it's trainable not WHEN it's trainable. =[

So you could remove dual wield for a class or set how high it can go up but you can't change anything else about it.

Neiv
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
i have succesefuly edited string file and changed Necromancers into Warlocks you can as well change such things as gods and races names
Chaos, mind sharing what file you edited exactly? I have attempted to make changes to the eqstr_us.txt file in the EQ folder, but it breaks the game.

ChaosSlayer
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
ah thats cuase it contains crap load of inviseable chars like end of the line etc which programs like windows notepad ignore when they save the file which causes it to go out of aligment.
you need to use something like MS DOS shell editor or Notepad++ to preserve this file format

Yeormom
01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Notepad++ is a tool no developer should be without!

Neiv
01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Just downloaded it, thanks. Didn't know it existed, but I'm no developer.

Chaos, do I take it, then, that the file I referenced is the file I need to work with to make the class-name and deity-name changes you specified?

Neiv
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
eqstr_us.txt?

eqstr_en.txt?

eqtext.txt?

Some other file?

ChaosSlayer
01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
eqstr_us.txt?

eqstr_en.txt?

eqtext.txt?

Some other file?

a class may have MANY text references which may be spread across more than one file - for example class name which appears inside your inventory screen may be in one file, but class name which appears when you do /who may be in another

when I did it- I changed ALL references I found and didn't realy tracked which were truly important =)