PDA

View Full Version : Classic Spell Effects Do Not Come Out of Hands

Fifflefluff
01-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I think this might be a well-known issue, but on the two servers I've seen recently (Project 1999 and Vallon/Tallon Zek) that have made efforts to bring back the classic spell effects, they haven't been able to get the particle effects to come streaming out of the characters' hands like they should. This is pretty awkward, and it robs a lot of spells of their classic charm. I've tried searching for information about it here on EQEmu's forums, but nothing definitive has come up. I did find one thread (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24628&highlight=classic+spell) that mentioned there was another server that had the same problem:

Old Spell Effects (except on hands).

However, I was unable to find any other threads that discussed the problem.

My own observations on Project 1999 yielded some interesting results that might also already be known. I was in the Greater Faydark, grouped with a friend of mine, when I noticed these blue sparks coming out of thin air in the middle of the zone:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3291/particlesgfay1oq5.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3091/particlesgfay2cc6.jpg
^casting Salve in Greater Faydark (by actually casting the spell I'd memmed)

This happened whenever I or the player I was with cast a spell (the spell "Salve," to be exact). The location of the spot from which the particles were flowing was right around 0, 0, 0. When I asked my groupmate to try casting the same spell while he was far away in another part of the zone, I did not see any particles flow from 0, 0, 0. That kind of makes sense, though, since you wouldn't expect the client to render particle effects for a spell being cast by someone beyond clip range, anyway.

Later, in Neriak Foreign Quarter, I observed the same phenomenon:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7496/particlesneriaka2uw8.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3552/particlesneriaka1ee2.jpg
^Casting SoW in Neriak Foreign Quarter (by clicking on Yttrium Studded Leather Boots in inventory)

Here, the particles were located on the ground rather than in the air, but the location was still right around 0, 0, 0. I see NPC spell effects appear here, too, for example when the X`Ta sisters (Timpi, Tempi, and Tompi, the three necromancers who stand on top of the parapets and speak in rhyme) cast their spells.

I also tested to see if the phenomenon happened on the Vallon/Tallon Zek server, and sure enough, it did. I saw particles behaving in exactly the same way in exactly the same spots in both the Greater Faydark and Neriak Foreign Quarter.

So, it would seem as though the particle effects that should be coming out of player/NPC hands is indeed in the game, even with the Titanium client (which is what I was using, of course). And it seems like all one would have to do is tell the client to make those spell particle effects appear on the players'/NPC's hands, going in the right direction. Needless to say, it would be fantastic if someone were to fix this problem, since it would mean bringing back a significant and essential visual component of Classic EQ -- so does anybody have any thoughts on where one might start to find a solution?

Secrets
02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't know if it still works, but you can try deleting spellsnew.eff and spellsnew.edd, prior to titanium this worked, I haven't tested it but it should bring the old spell particles back. I remember reading this years ago, so i'm going off memory.

Xzerion19
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Secrets,

You are correct, that does bring the old spell effects back but what he is referring to is the graphics that used to come out of your hands will instead come out of a random place in each zone on the ground. The effect particles work just fine, its the ones from the hands that do not match up right.

Zard
02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
It may not be random...tutorialb also shows these particle effects at location 0 0 0. does anyone think or have any thoughts as to if the fix may be in the files of the everquest game directory....or might it take a programmer to get into the code to tell these particle effects where they really belong?

Fifflefluff
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't know if it still works, but you can try deleting spellsnew.eff and spellsnew.edd, prior to titanium this worked, I haven't tested it but it should bring the old spell particles back. I remember reading this years ago, so i'm going off memory.
Yes, I removed these files before playing on either of the servers. In fact, in order to play on the Project 1999 server, I removed all of the following files from my EverQuest root directory:

spellsnew.edd
spellsnew.eff
arena.eqg
arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
lavastorm.eqg
nektulos.eqg
Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt

I also replaced the spells_us.txt with the spells_us.txt provided by Nilbog here (http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1739086&sid=3fc207e425e952f513b925e8549d66fe&gid=62867). There's a similar spells_us.txt replacement necessary for playing on Vallon/Tallon Zek.

nilbog
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
sorry for backwards npc here.. but i believe what he is talking about is the spells shooting out of their hands like this

http://i44.tinypic.com/2jrvra.jpg

Fifflefluff
02-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Slaya21
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
so still no update on this huh?? what a shame :(

PathToEternity
03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
How would this be coded? Isn't this sort of thing client based?

I would really like to see this fixed also.

Dibalamin
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
This would most likely be source based. The source needs to be told to find the player/mob and attach that particle effect to the models hands.

That is the simple version =p

Since the primary focus of the project is move forward (as it should be), the back stuff gets archived and forgotten.

I truly wonder though, how easy this would be to fix? C++ ain't my forte...at all, ever, however.

Tabidzukare
04-20-2009, 01:03 AM
What you have to think about is this:

If deleting the file brought back the old graphics, but changed the positioning of said graphics, then IT (meaning the deleted files) should contain the positioning information. Since just by deleting the file no one changed any source code, yet the position changed.. that's why it would lead me to believe it's not hard coded.

Even if it is hard coded, I have some ideas how to get around it. Namely the fact that the 'newspells.edd/eff' positioned itself properly right. If position data ISNT stored in the .edd/.eff files, then wouldn't changing the file name of the original spells.eff, into newspells.eff change this..

Another thought. The 'newspells' use two files a .edd/.eff, while the old spells are just an .eff file.. that could mean positional data is stored in the .edd file, in which case if you keep the .edd file and rename the original spells.eff to newspells.eff it might preserve the correct position.

I have several more thorough ideas but until I get home I can't try. Good luck guys, lets not settle for "no" as an answer, get in the files and make this work. I know we can do it, if we all share our thoughts and tests.

trevius
04-20-2009, 05:43 AM
If I was to guess, I would say that this is probably a limitation of the Titanium client. More than likely, whatever was used to tell the spell effects where to source from has been removed in newer clients since effects are obviously handled at least somewhat differently.

Though, if the client is still able to receive the hand location for old spells, my best guess would be that the info would be somewhere in the spawn structure or one of the other structures. It almost sounds like it just doesn't know at all where or who to tie the effects to, so it just sends them to 0 0 0. Otherwise, I would guess that it is something coded into the newer versions of eqgame.exe that can't be corrected in any normal way.

Tabidzukare
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much Trevius for your insight. I went ahead and did some tests myself, just to see if anything yielded .. well.. anything! Here's what I did..

Quick notes- T.Ed = Titanium Edition, VE = Velious Era, (actual) means not renamed from my first experiement (the T. Ed spells/spellsnew.eff/edds)

TEST 1
Using

spells.eff --> spellsnew.eff (renamed)

Not Using:

spellsnew.edd
spellsnew.eff (actual)

Results:
No spell graphics OR sounds whatsoever.
Notes:
Now having observed more closely the file structure .eff appears to be sound storage files... if that's true.. why then does deleting of all things an .eff file restore the old particles.. intriguing to say the least.

TEST 2
Using

spells.eff (actual)
spellsnew.EDD

Not Using

spellsnew.eff (actual)

Results:
Classic Spell Graphics (CSG), Not Bound To Hands (NBTH)
Notes:
Restored the visualization of spells -- whats interesting about that is that, by restoring a .eff (supposed sound archive..) the graphics returned. Making use of the .edd file for the new spells changed nothing readily visible. (Haven't tried a renamed spells --> spellsnew.eff + spellsnew.edd)

TEST 3
Using

spells.eff (actual)
spellsnew.edd
Folder: SpellEffects (VE)

Not Using

Folder: SpellEffects (T.Ed)
spellsnew.eff (actual)

Results:
CSG NBTH
Notes:
At this point seeing no direct connection with spells.eff/.edd I started looking closer at the folders. I compared them to what existed back with a fresh trilogy install and now. Many things were missing however they did share (relating to spells) a single 'SpellEffects' folder. While this test yielded no difference. Take a look INSIDE of the folder. There's a 'paths.ini' and inside it details information such as offsets of spell effects and the control of the graphics themselves, it's text based even replacing it with a velious paths.ini though didn't yield anything. I'll be digging into this file later and seeing if I can't change anything with it, but for now it remains an entertaining mystery.

TEST 4
Using

spells.eff (actual)

Not Using:

spellsnew.edd
spellsnew.eff (actual)
actorEmittersNew.eff
Folder: ActorEffects (T.Ed)

Results:
CSG NBTH
Notes:
ActorEffects doesn't exist in the Velious install, so I'm thinking it only matters to the 'new spells' as it didn't effect anything visually by removing it.

TEST 5
Using (All Velious Era)

spells.eff
spellsnew.eff
spellsnew.edd
spdat.eff
Folder: SpellEffects

Not Using (All Titanium Edition)

spellsnew.edd
spellsnew.eff (actual)
spells.eff
actorEmittersNew.edd
Folder: ActorEffects

Results:
CSG NBTH
Notes:
There was an additional Velious file called spdat.eff... I thought it might contain something, so I added it.. sadly there was no effect, perhaps sp here means split paw?? Well.. I'm no professing to be smart here :) One notable exception here is including spellsnew.eff yielded 'new' graphics for a few spells like Siphon Strength, yet NOT for Lifetap which was changed visually at the same time.

TEST 6
Using (Velious Era)

spells.eff
spdat.eff

Not Using:

spellsnew.edd (T.Ed/VE)
spellsnew.eff (T.Ed/VE)
spells.eff (T.Ed)
actorEmittersNew.edd (T.Ed)

Results:
CSG NBTH
Notes:
Well.. I'm hitting a brick wall (repeatedly!) though I'm sure some more enlightened individuals will note this with sympathy and perhaps a bit of humor as well...

TEST 7
Using

spells.eff (VE)

Not Using:

spellsnew.edd (T.Ed/VE)
spellsnew.eff (T.Ed/VE)
spells.eff(T.Ed)
actorEmittersNew.edd (T.Ed)
SPOffsets.ini from Folder: Resources (T.Ed)

Results:
CSG NBTH
Notes:
Another pleasing mystery as paths.ini, this SPOffsets.ini contains information on offsets of spells based on player characters.. it has the ability to alter X/Z if i recall correctly though deleting it had no effect whatsoever on the old graphics. Perhaps altering this while using the new graphics could prove that something internal is using this information (in which case we couldn't alter it .. easily)

Final thoughts
Though my tests were in essence, useless.. I've learned a few things.
The spell particles themselves, appear to be controlled by the text file paths.ini which links the .tga files in SpellEffects together to form an effect based on a line.

The particles in the .tga files don't relate to the graphics coming from the hands that I can see..

Ok - so two separate entities. Now, the curious thing is that .eff files seem to alter the appearance of the graphics despite them also controlling sounds. There remains one set of files in the SpellEffects folder (.dds if I remember correctly) and these could possibly be the hand emissions.

On a side note here. I haven't had time to look at the tool that views spell particles.. but in that video are there hand emissions floating with the various effects?? If not, the first big thing is to locate where these hand graphics are and try to identify a link between them. Even if we can just mess up the hand portion of the graphics we'll at least know what affects them and see about controlling it.

I'll try more on these leads later.. but holy smokes batman did this post absorb 40 minutes of my day..

Dibalamin
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
The following is actually serious:

When Erudites cast Ice Comet with old graphics, the hand graphics are in their ass. I mean literally shooting from their ass. I'm serious. :?

aaron1231
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I know that If you delete the files to restore old spell graphics there is a Hand issue.. Hopefully someone can resolve that...

But I was going back to the good ol' graphics for my Bard spells, They are breathtaking I think... BUT!!!

Only Selos works!, All other bard spell effects dont work! Only the Selos/charm/sleep spell effect (the white orb style effect) works, The healing/clarity line style doesnt work, nor the others!!!

So, Who ever figures out How to Fix the Hand problem should look into this for all us Bards!!

Thanks..:? :? :? :?

Tabidzukare
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Aaron,

It's interesting that you have that sort of result with the bard songs.. Perhaps there is more in depth testing to be done regarding this... because for me (I can't remember what config) the bard songs were the *only* thing that worked.. I have a level 28 Bard on my own ML server, and the effects for the songs I use work fine... Melodic Binding, Selos, Bruscos Bellow / Dissonance line as well as the attack lines. I'll try out the healing line and report back what's going on there later today (I should have time).

The ice comet, comment is interesting is also. We need to find out more external links that control origins for spells or at least where those graphics are controlled!!

Keep up your work everyone, either we'll crack this issue or we'll learn enough to know it's out of our hands (legally).

trevius
04-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Tabidzukare,

From what you reported from your testing, it now sounds to me like the paths.ini file may be used for the client to reference for certain things. I haven't looked at the file yet, but if there are actual offsets in there, it may be that this file is where it tells the client where to look in memory when doing some actions. If so, and if this is where the hand info originally came from, then maybe it is still in memory somewhere, but wasn't updated in this file because they don't use it like that anymore. And, if that is true, then if you can figure out which one is to set the hand location, then it may still be possible to set the correct offset in that file so that it points to the right place in memory. But, that also assumes that the memory for hands is still being set at all. Considering how lazy SOE is about removing old unused code and files, it is fairly possible that this could be done with the right expertise.

That idea is assuming alot of stuff that I don't easily have a way to check, but it is something to maybe consider. It would take someone with more offset knowledge than myself to have any clue where to find this info in memory, though. Since this is purely speculation at this point, I don't want you to get too hung up on it, but figured it would be worth mentioning.

Also, the .eff files are effect files and they probably contain multiple effects within each file. You can probably think of them like a .zip file with a bunch of sound and graphic files in them. I don't know that for sure, but that is essentially what the .S3D and .EQG files are.

Tabidzukare
04-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Trevius!

Thanks so much again for taking the time to share your insight into this issue. I will certainly begin testing now on altering data within the paths.ini file for original spells and whether or not it has an effect. I won't have time perhaps for a day or so with work and what not to do proper testing.

I'm putting attention out to others interested in the results of these tests but who have been as of yet... un-interested in helping to produce them to help me out a bit. I have only a slow 8 year old laptop I do work on outside of work and while I can go in and test spell offsets (by posting at a 0 0 0 mark and watching for a difference) by myself, after about 3 log outs from my own ML server my machine starts begging for mercy and I have to shut down for a few minutes. In addition the more minds working on this problem the faster it will get resolved.

Again thanks for your helpful information I have several ideas from it and only wish I could test and post results more quickly. Whether or not 'victory' over this problem is at hand or not knowledge certainly is and one way or the other we can at least put it to rest definitively. (This of course is assuming we will stick to 'legal' means of affecting this ability to display spells properly i.e. not altering the client itself. Which I for one plan on sticking to (legality that is..))

Kindest Regards ~~

trevius
04-21-2009, 03:05 AM
LOL, when you said offsets, I was thinking of the Memory kind, which is not the case in the path.ini file. I finally checked out the file and after looking at it and the path.tga file in the same directory, it appears that it is only used for the "find NPC or Player" path thing. The glowing trail that you see that leads you to something you have selected to find. I don't think that should have anything to do with the hands thing. So, you can probably ignore that file.

Tabidzukare
04-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Wow, that's great to know as that will save a ton of time. The next task however is finding out whether or not the hands animation is stored separately of the bursting effects. I'm thinking it has to be but the two might be stored within the .eff file. I'll look into it more in depth but does anyone know off-hand whether or not there is a way to open or manipulate the .eff files themselves?? Also, I'll try manipulating that paths.ini file regardless and seeing whether or not altering it changes anything about that line for the Finder. Hehe, it's so interesting to see where all the little pieces of the game come from. Thanks again for that information Trevius.

Kindest Regards~

aaron1231
04-23-2009, 11:19 PM
No one has figured anything out? I cant program, so I cant personally work on it, but I would love for it to be fixed? Make sure you check out the Bard song effects when you are doing testing..

Tabidzukare, I deleted the normal files, at first just the .eff and .edd files I moved out. Then when I saw it did not work I tried to move out the geequip etc. etc. So, I got all the spells to work like they would for anyone else, on my shaman and other characters. But My bard only had the Selo/mez orb style effect that worked. No hands still on my shaman.. But I know thats still an issue.

Thanks

Tabidzukare
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey there,

Well, I'm on another block of interest for the time being with extracting EQ's models and zones for other uses so I've taken a rest from this issue. However, I did want to comment on the bard songs.. Here are some photos of my bard on my ML server using things like haste/HoT, I have more screen just not on that flickr page atm. But the fire based DoT's show up properly, of course Selo's works fine as do the mez's. I am currently running on a goofy setup of files because I did all those tests.. However if we can get some other people using the 'classic spell graphics' to do a quick test for you with a bard, we can start narrowing down your particular problem with the songs.

As you can see here, they're working fine on my current setup (Interestingly Selo's sprays from the bum like ice comet.. definitely hilarious though sad at the same time..). Can anyone else verify their functionality with just a basic setup of the removed spellsnew.eff/.edd files??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3468347324_fe10205b63.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/3467532607_7046cb89c1.jpg

And a final mention: we will solve this problem either in the fashion we want to (correcting the hand position) or find out it is out of the legal realm of our influence. I can't program (not really) either, however you CAN dig into the EQ directory and start messing things up and trying to get results, that's how it all starts my friend. Hang in there with the bard spells issue, we'll get it solved for you too.

Kindest Regards~~

wsbsteven
04-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Old spell effects work if you use a client from the gates of discord era or older. The Shards of Dalaya server has working old spell graphics if you delete the edd/eff files and nothing more. I'm pretty sure they use a much older version of eqemu though.

Maybe some investigation into a Shards of Dalaya install would help your cause?

Tabidzukare
04-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Hi Steven,

Thanks so much for your information. I checked out the site and the first mention I'll give is to how professional it looks! What a great project and thanks for sharing it. I looked at what files they require to play, lo-and-behold they utilize a patcher. I didn't want to patch myself to find out but luckily they did have a manual download for the files.

They are using a hacked PoP client, so i'm assuming they're using the 3.8-4.3 era EQEmu. I could be totally wrong but when I downloaded the patch they had older Dx8.dll's eqmain.dll and an eqgame.exe. When I loaded up the game to the connection point it was an old PoP login screen. Beautiful to see though I didn't patch the rest of the files or register with them to test their spell graphics.

Can you post a screenshot with the old hand graphics working??

Now that that's covered I'll go ahead and cover some other general to ideas I've had regarding this issue as well as some general inquiries in case anyone knows, I'll be on holiday for about a week so I won't have time to test things myself and in preparation for the holiday have been too busy on other projects to do much save for some quest work:

Ideas:

Spell editing: I downloaded two versions of a spell editing program, one was WindCatchers spell editing front-end, the other's from GeorgeS's site is Ailia's spell editor. I noticed that there are two entries for spell effects a new number and an old number. I wonder if deleting the 'new' entries and putting an appropriate 'old' number in will do anything positive? This one feels like scratching at a wall, but hey what can you do?

EQInside SDK: I've heard whispers of this SDK in posts in various archives. But apparently it was a .dll or set of tools that facilitated open the various file type archives of EQ. If we can get INTO the .eff's and see what's been changed perhaps we can patch original spells.eff to make it sync properly with the client (if it is indeed 'hard' coded). Has there been anyone that anyone knows of to have opened or patched .eff's? I'm learning OpenGL now in hopes that I might one day be able to make my own solutions but with all the darn math involved it's going to be almost a year or more before I get to any sort of developmental level with it. If we could get our hands on this SDK it could possibly give us a set of tools to begin extraction of those archives and modding them.

General Tests: The first idea I had is just to check the ability to alter at least the Z positions of the hand graphics by changing races and casting spells and seeing if the hand particles change height.. Another 'general knowledge' answer I don't have and haven't looked into is, do the new spell graphics make use of hand particles or are they centered around the body?

I think the most important element here and now is to be able to bust open or view the spell graphics themselves. I had thought that Ailia's editor had this feature but I've not been able to get it to do that. Without having access to at least open and view those archives I think we have very little in the way of problem solving tools at this point. I still have other 'throw myself against a wall' kind of ideas but we need more input than just my own efforts to try to solve this problem. I've got an extremely narrow range of knowledge and skills though I'm never lacking in enthusiasm or dedication!

*cough* Sadly in this instance for at least another year that enthusiasm and dedication won't yield any results.

With hope,
and as always,
Kindest Regards~~

Tabidzukare
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone!

I apologize this issue has rested for so long! Indeed I've been busy programming and learning everything I can about programming to affect some greater changes in this community.. Difficult stuff really!!

Consequently I haven't had much time to work on this, however, recently I did make a character on Tallon/Vallon Zek. Guess what.. renaming arena.eqg, nektulos.eqg and lavastorm.eqa to .old + downloading their spells_us.txt file fixed the old spell graphics to launch properly out of the hands.

What is interesting about this is that I did NOT erase my spellsnew files at all! Yet old graphics for buffs, leech effects etc show up now.. This btw is from an absolutely fresh install of Titanium, I just changed what was mentioned above and began to play.

Regardless of where I play (any other server) the old spell graphics stick except for some newer effects which might not be linked to older style graphics internally.
I have not tested:

Removing the spellsnew / naming spells.eff
Playing with the original spells_us.txt to see the old graphics still work without it
Renaming the eqg files back to normal.

This can lead us to two possibilities:

Spells_us.txt controls the 'problematic elements' of classic spells 'misfiring'
The eqg files somehow factor into spell graphics.

Once we figure out what is really affecting the changes all we need to do is institute those changes and everything should work flawlessly. If it is in fact the spells_us.txt files (I didn't back up the original one from install so I can't see it.. ) then the question arises as to how they edited it.. Not that it matters at this point since it works and the only important thing is saving it or downloading it for use on your own server. Also, if someone has a fresh spells_us.txt, can you open it up in a plain txt editor?? Does it display plain text for you or is it all jumbled crap? The T/V Zek spells_us if all garbage and voodoo while spells_en is plain English.

Either way, the solution is a few steps off, and when I get the time I'll do these myself, in the mean time if some industrious individual decides to try post your results here please!

With success close at hand,
Kindest Regards~~

steve
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
The EQG zone files shouldn't have any effect on the spell graphics. Those are only loaded when you're visiting those particular zones.

You can rule that one out :)

nilbog
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Finally figured this out.

You can get the old spell effects by a combination of *not* deleting your spellsnew.eff and .edd files and changing the value of particle effect. (field is labeled as particle effect in spell editor and spellanim in spells_new table.

Once again, a GeorgeS tool has saved my sanity :D
http://wizardportal.dyndns.org/eqemu/eq.html

The Spell Encyclopedia and media file includes a folder of high quality video avis. The correct spell particles for symbol of pinzarn according to these videos is 86. In the spells_us.txt file, it is particle 10. Watching the videos, you don't see the hand-casting effects because they are instantly being cast. Actually casting the spell with a casting delay looks great.

Changing your db entry and/or spells_us.txt file for the desired particle effect you are looking for + having spellsnew.eff and spellsnew.edd in place = classic spell effects coming out of your hands.

Late, but well worth it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z89qja.jpg

nilbog
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Well maybe I posted too soon! After getting to that step, I assumed that would take care of the rest of the issues.

Classically, your spells would change/improve graphically the higher level you were.

Symbols, for example, would start out green, then around 24 the blue effects would be added to it. After 40 (i think? ) it would also include red particle effects and give you the nice tri-color buffs.

The only other issue I have found so far is that the spells don't actually *shoot* out of your hands, they just float from the top of them.

Anyone have further ideas about how particle colors can be level based, or how to effect the velocity/gravity of spell effects? :confused:

Telin
10-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Has anyone figured out a way to force the titanium client to put together the classic spell effects properly? I have played around a bit on the spell files. I can change particles by changing the names of the .tga or .dds files. The classic spell particles mostly use the .tga files. I don't know how to begin building layers to the spell animations. For example it looks like you can combine spelb1, spelc1, and speld4.tga from the spell effects folder together to recreate the generic buff spells from the hands. And spelb2, spelc3, and speld4.tga for the firework on the target.