PDA

View Full Version : restarting EMU to update items?

LeftRoad
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Wasn't really sure what to name this thread. I guess that's close enough.

If I shutdown the login/world/zone processes and then restart them after updating something in the database it doesn't seem to update them. I have to actually reboot the server to do it. I can see this while watching the world server start, where it usually pauses to load items it just skips right along in a hurry. No error messages.

I tried restarting the MySQL service but that doesn't help either. What I'm guessing is that libEMuShareMem.so, once loaded, stays loaded. What does that shared library do? Well, besides the obvious. Is it a plugin for MySQL? Most importantly, is there a way to unload it or reset it so I can restart the server processes without rebooting?

cavedude
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Items are stored in shared memory (libEMuShareMem.so handles this) which means they are loaded once on startup into memory and never touched again. This has the benefit of a great increase in speed as the data is all right there, no need to query for it. Faction, loot, and spells are also in shared memory. At the present, there is no way to alter any of that data and have it take effect without rebooting the server's binaries.

You're running Linux, so you need to run cleanipc to clear your shared memory which should be added to your stop script. Search the forums for info on both.

LeftRoad
02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've seen cleanipc but it's not in my stop script, for some odd reason. I'll dig for more info on that.