PDA

View Full Version : I guess Ariak is out..

Shawn319
08-06-2002, 11:53 PM
http://www.hackersquest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2628

Ariak
Lamer

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:53 pm Post subject: Greetings, from a EQEmu (Former) World Builder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, guys. I've noticed that the EQEmu is starting to show its death throes and have decided to abandon ship so I can hopefully learn the ropes ASAP.

My first and most important question is.. Is it possible to convert an EQEmu 0.3.4 item DB to work with HQ?

Thanks, Guys!

TheClaus
08-07-2002, 02:04 AM
I don't blame him though. Lately all we are seeing is you saying that NO IT ISN'T DEAD. Though developers leaving or bitching about stupid things. What do you expect people to do? Blindly put faith into it. The only thing I know people blindly have faith in is GOD and sorry but eqemu is not. The lack of releases is also frustrating. I have been a long time eqemu supporter. Hell I even have helped out in the chat room and forums where I can. It is frustrating and some people will leave to the only other EQ emulator project out there. I want the project to live on but right now the outlook is not looking lovely. I surely hope eqemu will get out of the rut and show us all that there is hope.

a_Guest03
08-07-2002, 05:08 AM
What, me worry?

Ariak has objectives to rebuild the database. He needs to test it. He has certain objectives that are different than the developers. Just because he left doesn't mean he's not a powerful ally of yours. If he can convert his db to HQ, and you can convert it back, then his work is to the benefit of all. If not, be glad that he's getting some work done, and we can thank him for his time.

He was faithful to the cause of the developers when many people quit. Give him time. I'm sure he loves you guys and will do whatever he can to make his database totally badass and universally usable.

About giving blind faith to only God, that's crap. I don't have faith in any god, but I have faith in the company I work for. They're good people with good objectives who fall on bad times. It's not always about profit (manager objectives) and it's not always about employee happiness or raises. We do what's best for us all. I can see Shawn doing that all day. He just wants a good emulator (his objective) and to make us all happy (like he should care, but he does). There's a lot of talented people here, waiting for the machine to start rolling again. And if everyone jumps ship, the ship is going to sink. We don't need too many database programmers when there's no emulator working. Ariak's departure is for the best. At least he left without a big scene, without burning all of his bridges. He's done nothing wrong to any of us, and he's done much good.

As for the emulator dying, that won't happen. Shawn, keep it alive and stifled if that's what it takes. Stick it in your pocket for a rainy day, and forget the drama. Remember the good times, the first time you made a mob, or the first character you made. In my opinion, it's better to tank and bleed than to let the whole party flee to ruin. This emulator will return in force after EQ 2 comes out. Believe me. When Everquest becomes a stable, final version, and the updates become minor, making the DB will be nothing. There won't be triple redundant coding. Code it once, get it working, distribute. Letting it die is just foolish. Enough people are addicted to this game that Verant will tap them for all the money they're worth over and over with new games, new fees... It becomes the next tobacco. You have the experience. You have the knowledge. You have succeeded in emulation before.

What happened to all the support? People are getting tired. They're getting bored. It happens. But the emulator can't die unless everyone gives up, including Shawn and Hogie, Lurker and Kaiyodo, and sorry to say, Ariak and the hardcore believers. But he's still emulating, just elsewhere. This project will resurrect itself when the time is right. For now, be patient and keep an ear out.

:D Good job so far to all the emulator designers, the people with recommendations, and the people who keep a positive attitude about this. I think you do great work for ungrateful people. You love what you do, and I'm amazed at what you can accomplish. This isn't just about whether EQEMU will survive. It should be about how to make it survive. For now, let's just sit back and bleed. Verant and bugs in software are the real opposition. Ignore the drama, and be patient, relaxed. Be glad we got to see this project even exist.

Retarded development doesn't equal death.

DeletedUser
08-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Ariak
Traitor

hehe
:D

kathgar
08-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Lack of releases? We have released FOUR beta builds, with major changes (movement from spdat.eff to spells_en, and fixed spell casting)? People asking too many questions for support and people just being morons slow the dev's down. I DO NOT CARE if you go to HQ, please do, let them hold your hand through the simplest shit, just don't post on our boards about it.

a_Guest03
08-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Those HQ guys are mean... Even the devs. They remind me of my CIS future convict roommate from college:

Can't spell
Think they're > you
Talk like everyone's an idiot but them
Argue about symantics without listing any details
Confusing to listen to
Communication skills are terrible

Devs, maybe you just need to stop responding to n00b questions and list "Read the manual. If it doesn't work, you didn't do EXACTLY what it said. Start over from scratch. Thanks, the devs."

a_Guest03
08-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Hey, if someone other than Ariak changed his title to Traitor, please change it back. He's just trying to be useful, and he feels he's more useful at HQ. Cut the guy some slack.

DeletedUser
08-07-2002, 12:11 PM
a_Guest03 are you Ariaks bodyguard or something?

Its not your forum :D

Ariak
08-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Christ. All I wanted to do was see if items could be converted to EthQuest format so I could do some tweaking. I know that items were converted FROM EthQuest format to 0.3.4 format.

I assumed it was do-able.

As for EQEmu being dead.. Who cares? It's the furthest along. EthQuest has been around for ~2-3 years. EthQuest had an ENTIRE YEAR of 0 progression.

Banning me/renaming me for asking if I can convert on another forum is just a obscene.

Ariak
08-07-2002, 12:43 PM
EQEmu is not dead. It is in a period of dire-straits.. If you don't want to admit this, look at the past update frequency. Look at the current update frequency. Will it over-come? I think so.

I have 0 biasm towards EthQuest. I don't even want to use that emulator, in all honesty.

DeletedUser
08-07-2002, 04:37 PM
would suggest lock or delete of this useless topic.
Even if ariak left you didn't have to make a big post over it shawn.

Shawn319
08-08-2002, 02:17 AM
I'm just sick of everyone saying EQEmu is dead and to move onto hackersquest. We lost ONE dev (Lyenu) because he lied about a bunch of things and was going to quit anyway.

We still have Hogie, Pyrotek, Quagmire (sometimes), Kasai (aka Murderous), Khuong, Kathgar and myself (though I dont code).

It's just going SLOWER than usual because we got stuck on a few problems.

Releases? when's the last time you joined chat?

[10:20] <Shawn319> !files
[10:20] -EQEMu- .:. Files Currently Offered .:.
[10:20] -EQEMu- http://eqemu.sf.net/downloads/beta/eqemu-0.3.5-b4-win32.zip - EQEmu 0.3.5 Beta4 (Win32 files only)
[10:20] -EQEMu- http://eqemu.sf.net/downloads/beta/eqemu-0.3.5-b4-source.zip - EQEmu 0.3.5 Beta4 (Source Files)
[10:20] -EQEMu- http://64.81.113.125/~daniel/PacketCollector.exe - PacketCollector with Bazaar support
[10:20] -EQEMu- http://eqemu.sf.net/downloads/beta/MiniLogin.exe - Minilogin. Should work. Dont cry if it doesnt.
[10:20] -EQEMu- http://eqemu.sf.net/downloads/beta/eqemu-0.3.5-b2-win32.zip - EQEmu 0.3.5 Beta2 (Get This first and upgrade with the rest)

I apologize Ariak, when I saw that post on HQ forums it made me think "darnit, there goes another great EQemu Dev/helper"...

If people start leaving BECAUSE of the slowdown, it will get even worse until it IS dead. We need to stick together and work even harder, not run off to another emulator.

DeletedUser
08-08-2002, 06:03 AM
We lost ONE dev (Lyenu) because he lied about a bunch of things and was going to quit anyway.

We still have Hogie, Pyrotek, Quagmire (sometimes), Kasai (aka Murderous), Khuong, Kathgar and myself (though I dont code).

Image left too.

Ariak
08-08-2002, 06:48 AM
I think I just over-reacted. I was getting impatient.

I did not mean to imply in any way, shape, or form that EQEmu is dead and or dying. It is not updating as quickly as it was a few months ago, but it is a free program.

I've not downloaded EtherealQuest, yet. I do not think I will. They've not even got attacks to work, yet. :(.

Also, the killer...

"As to my knowledge, it is easy to convert items between databases, though it would require to write small C++ program to merge both databases. I am not sure about 0.3.4 but in earlier versions for EqEmu items were stored in the same format as in everquest item packet and in EthernalquestDb I are using the same format. Unfortunately, I think, items is the only thing that can be converted. Also I though that in 0.3.4 items were taken from out database, though I might not be right."

I can't write a C++ program to convert a database, lol..

TheClaus
08-08-2002, 09:01 AM
I would never say move on to HQ. Hell I am glad that SEQ got away from it. We want to help but cause a lot of us can't code we are just waiting. I was frustrated about what I said earlier. I remembered when coming to the forums was fun and helpful and not OMG someone is being a prick or whatnot. I will be here till the end. Either completion or just goes away i'll be around. EQ has a spot in my heart and I always come back to it. Since I hate Verant though the EMU is my special spot for EQ now.

I'm just sick of everyone saying EQEmu is dead and to move onto hackersquest. We lost ONE dev (Lyenu) because he lied about a bunch of things and was going to quit anyway.

It's just going SLOWER than usual because we got stuck on a few problems.

Releases? when's the last time you joined chat?

I apologize Ariak, when I saw that post on HQ forums it made me think "darnit, there goes another great EQemu Dev/helper"...

If people start leaving BECAUSE of the slowdown, it will get even worse until it IS dead. We need to stick together and work even harder, not run off to another emulator.

Shawn319
08-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Image left too.

Left? more like decided not to join chat 24/7 :)

Ariak
08-08-2002, 02:56 PM
Ohh, Image did not leave? That's the best news I've heard since..

since..

Well, anyways, it is great news. :)

DeletedUser
08-08-2002, 03:33 PM
He said he isn't leaving but he's also working on a game so he won't have time to code for the emulator..

but true.. he hasn't left.

Shawn319
08-08-2002, 10:23 PM
He still codes a little but doesnt devote all his time to EQemu anymore (I cant either anymore.. I have night school and a job now).

TheClaus
08-09-2002, 01:44 AM
You mean I might actually catch up to you Shawn post wise. Sweet.

Shawn319
08-09-2002, 02:50 AM
Yeah maybe =P

Baron Sprite
08-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Well if you wanna go with HQ, :D http://hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2436

Shawn319
08-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Well if you wanna go with HQ, :D http://hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2436

ROFL

In return for this, we will naturally expect some kind of payment. If all we do is take a few peeks at the game, peek a bit at protocol data and make some general assesments, we'll expect lifetime free accounts for the entire HQ team (Let's say 10 accounts). For extended work, we'll set up a paypal account.

Thay want a MMORPG to GIVE them the source code for their game, AND PAY THEM.. omg i feel sorry for any company/developer that puts their mouse cursor ANYWHERE near his e-mail address =P

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 09:28 PM
10 lifetime free accounts.. source code.. payment.

;) assholes.

Ariak
08-27-2002, 04:20 PM
... No offense, money rules the world.

If you wish to contest this, fine. Enjoy the alternate reality..

What they did was *SMART*. Hackers are very, very well paid in the security buisness. We all know this. Watch the movie entitled: "Hackers II : Takedown" for some information..

Trumpcard
08-28-2002, 12:26 AM
Assholes for getting paid to do what they love to do? Get a grip, thoses guys are smart, theyre exploiting the talents theyve been using for the past 5 years.

Thats just common sense, though posting it on the HQ boards seems a bit stupid, they definately aren't very bright on how to market themselves...

DeletedUser
08-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Do not even relate a movie to hacking, they never have the slightest idea of what is going on :)

I think the problem with HQ offering such a service is their capability of doing it, we all know it, they are lazy, they do not care, who would want to hire people like that?

How are those EthQ databases coming? (raw text files?)

Trumpcard
08-28-2002, 04:35 AM
Well, lets look at who were talking though, if I remember correctly, slicer works with OdinsEye/ShowEQ, not the emulator, totally different story. ShowEQ is one of the best organized and maintained OS projects Ive seen, those guys have their collective shit together. I don't know anything about Odins Eye, but I wouldnt call any of the ShowEQ developers lazy in the least bit...

As far as being lazy though, being paid is a great motivator to work on something. I wouldn't be nearly as effective at my job if they asked me to do it for free...

DeletedUser
08-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Too bad ShowEQ has nothing to do with HackersQuest (http://seq.sf.net , not hackersquest.org :P ), eh? :) Even look on the HQ forums, the SEQ forums were moved :P