PDA

View Full Version : SOF spells_us.txt & spells_en.txt

djeryv
05-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Can I use these files from my SOF install on the server? Will it cause problems with the server itself or Titanium clients?

-Djeyv

trevius
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Actually, if you use that spells file, it should work pretty well for Titanium. I think it is when you try to use Titanium spell files with SoF is when you can have problems. I haven't tested the SoF spell file on a server yet, but it is actually probably much better, since it is much more complete and current.

Andrew80k
05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Been using it on mine for a while now. Works just fine... But mine is private and the number of users there never exceeds 2.

cavedude
05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
If you mix spell files you will run into problems, although most of them minor. Not long ago, I quietly snuck the SoF spells file onto PEQ and some players reported problems with their spells (I didn't tell anybody I did the switch) Reverting back to Titanium the next day and they were back to normal.

trevius
05-13-2009, 05:40 PM
LOL, nice one, Cavedude :P

Yeah, I am certain that there are differences, but ultimately the SoF file should be better since it is more complete. I think the main issue would be that certain spells have been added or removed between the expansion so people wouldn't have access to all of the spells they previously did, but would also get access to new ones they couldn't have had before.

I am still trying to think of the best possible solution to handle the spell files between the 2 clients, but I think for now, the best solution is to use a combination of the 2 files. Basically, you would use the 8400 or so spells from Titanium and then just paste any spell ID after the last Titanium spell from the SoF spell file into the file and use that. This way, you have something that works flawlessly for Titanium and mostly for SoF as well.

There is no way to have both clients spells working 100% at the same time other than to require a custom spell file download for at least 1 of the clients. If you made 1 master compilation spell file of the 2 expansions, you could give a download of it and everything should work perfectly. I don't see a way around this as long as we have multiple client versions using EQEmu. Though, both clients would still be very functional no matter what spell file they have, since most of them remain unchanged between the 2 versions.

cavedude
05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I am still trying to think of the best possible solution to handle the spell files between the 2 clients, but I think for now, the best solution is to use a combination of the 2 files. Basically, you would use the 8400 or so spells from Titanium and then just paste any spell ID after the last Titanium spell from the SoF spell file into the file and use that. This way, you have something that works flawlessly for Titanium and mostly for SoF as well.

That was exactly my plan. Great minds think alike!

Congdar
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
If the import_spells.pl file could be updated to import the SoF spells without overwriting the Titanium 8446 spells, would that work for #define DB_LoadSPDat ?

trevius
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
The import doesn't really need to be edited to do that, it is easy to do with notepad. You should be able to simply paste in all spells from SoF past 8446 into your Titanium spells_us.txt file and then import that. Even though they don't have the same number of fields between the 2 versions, I think import will just fill in the Titanium ones with 0s automatically.

Then, you can do an export of that newly modified table and you will have a spells file that has all of the fields required for SoF and will work with both clients. SoF cannot work with a default Titanium spell file because it lacks the extra fields. But, Titanium works just fine with having the extra fields from SoF, because it just ignores them. So, by doing that, you could offer a custom spell file download that works for both SoF and Titanium at the same time.

The nice thing is that by adding the extra SoF spells in there, it should make all items in the database that have effects on them so that the server at least knows what those effects are. Using items that have spell effects on them that the server is not aware of will crash zones, but this corrects that problem. Though, I haven't heard about that crash happening in a while, so maybe someone added a null pointer check in to fix it at some point.

The spell file limitation of Titanium was one of the reasons why I decided to start work on SoF in the first place. I don't know what the limitation is for SoF, but it must be at least 13k or higher. Wouldn't hurt to find out for sure at some point. If the limitation is set high enough (30k or so), it would be possible to add in a bunch of spells to the end of the SoF spell file for custom spells or just for adding in SoF spells that would normally overlap with Titanium ones, but have been changed.

Congdar
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Does the spells_us.txt file from the SoF client work with the Titanium client? If so then give everyone that file and just use the SoF one for the server... or is that one of those no-no's.

djeryv
05-14-2009, 11:28 AM
...and what if ALL of your clients use SoF...then can you simply get away with that SPELL file or will the items (with spell effects) still be messed up?

-Djeryv

trevius
05-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Items with spell effects should work best on the SoF spell file. Because it is more complete and will include all of the newer spells that Titanium didn't have. If you try to use the Titanium spells file by itself on the server, many of the newer items would have "unknown spell" or whatever on the item. Last I checked, using an item with an unknown effect will crash zones.