PDA

View Full Version : Pet speed and some other anomalies.

vales
05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Just a minor problem I came across.

Currently, all pets (necro, mage, shaman, familiars, etc,) are very, very slow. Seems like they can't keep up with the owners and are constantly getting left behind. I did a small test and it seems like they chase after the owner just fine albeit a little slow, and stop in intervals then continue. This is without SoW, of course.

Also, all pets seem to zone fine except for familiars. I made a Wizard and the Minor Familiar (level 25) spell's pet doesn't zone with the caster. The spell icon is still there - just not the little guy.

Mage Air Pets don't turn invis like they normally do as well. And (I believe there was already a topic for this one) the Monster Summoning spell summons a weird model instead of a random mob model from the zone. It's the standard human model with the crazy gnome hair. :-D

ChaosSlayerZ
05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
the reason pets falls behind when you run is not cause they are slow moving is cuase of LAG =) Not kind of lag that makes you go LD, but kind of lag which piles up when pet continusly need to measure the distance betwin istelf and owner and run up to you. Essentialy the server simply doesn't update position of the pet (who is an npc after all) often enough, thats why it looks like pet is falling behind, and then it takes time for the server to make him reapear again next to you.
This is espesialy noticeable on servers which are run on old machines.

You can notice simular effect when you pull a mob from a large distance - the mob starts runing towards you then disapears few steps away and then reapears right in front of you. Thats because the server has told the client where mob is runing and at what speed, and then client extrapulates mobs appraoching visuals and "shows you" the picture of mob running to you. But when next mob position update arrives from the server- the mob is not actualy where it looked it was - which cuases gaps in appearaence and movement.

vales
05-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I highly doubt it's lag. This wasn't an issue with the previous builds when I was playing it. Could it be a recent issue with newer builds?

Besides, if a dual quad core system can't handle it, then there's something seriously messed up going on, lol. :-D

Edit: Just tried it on 3 servers, and I got the same result. So it's not an internal problem - I hope. :)

yoman258
05-16-2009, 01:43 PM
What chaos said sounds pretty close.

When you say a quad core system can't keep up, are you the one running the quad core system? If so, that isn't what he was referring to. The server that is hosting needs to have the updated hardware, not the client.

I am not entirely sure on this, but I think you can change update rates or something for the server?

vales
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I wish I can afford a dual quad core for home usage, lol. No, it's the machine at the datacenter.

Like I said, I tried it on 3 other servers already and got he same result. So I'm pretty sure it rules out being on a single system.

Another strange thing I just found out is that bot Mage air pets turn invis like they should, but not for the player. Had to do a double take on that one. :)