PDA

View Full Version : Any work being done on MM's

KingMort
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Monster Missions ?? Would be sooo cool to have that working..

King

drakelord
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Fill me on what a monster mission is?

Randymarsh9
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Monster missions came out with DoDH where you could do special, instanced quests where you took the form of a monster related to that quest.

drakelord
05-21-2009, 07:09 PM
In this system, did the player also get the spells/abilities of the monster in question, or did they keep their own?

Randymarsh9
05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
They got the spells and abilities of that monster. Usually they were set levels as well so people of all levels could do them together

drakelord
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
That is definitely going to make things interesting. Its doable though. Just gonna take a bunch of extra code.

ChaosSlayerZ
05-21-2009, 07:24 PM
in one of the MM on live you take on a role of... LORD NAGAFEN! And must defend your lair against the invasion of an entire player raid :D

Thought from what I read of lvie forums MMs got boring fast

WillowyLady
05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
in one of the MM on live you take on a role of... LORD NAGAFEN! And must defend your lair against the invasion of an entire player raid :D

Thought from what I read of lvie forums MMs got boring fast

Many people levelled all the way up using MM and had never played mainstream, as a consequence during raids, thier player skill and char skills where totally useless.

MM's XP was nerfed big time, to stop players power leveling up in this manner.

If you remember it this, it was utter nuts. The idea was good but implemented without much thought.

KingMort
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Essentially it's like an instance but different you go up to the Quest giver he gives you a window where your group members pick the monster... As a group member selects a monster that monster name goes red or grey (forgot) showing the group that monster has been taken... Once everyone has selected a monster you hit go or whatever (forgot once again) and then they zone into an instance of say Great Divide as a bunch of Dwarfs.....

You hit V for your AA window and train in all the AA's that you get as a Monster in the mission (totally different AA's than regular of course)

Some times in these missions you have a few swords or a sword and a shield ect they are basically shroud items that go poof after you win / lose..

When you join it assigns you a Task to complete the mission ect ect.. When you win you poof out back to your normal self and given the reward for winning.. Or nothing for losing..

King

Order
05-30-2009, 12:08 AM
They had something similar to this that ran on the test server shortly before the release of Luclin (maybe it was PoP) that was accessible from character select. It would spawn you as a random low level mob somewhere in the world. I remember spawning as a moss snake in qeynos when I tried it out. The idea never made it to Live (at least not in that particular form) but I always thought it was a kind of neat idea.

Kobaz
05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I remember that - "Project M" it was called. It was incredible fun running around Tox as a mob when the live players were there due to patch day - there'd be screams about "the AI here is insane" in OOC as lots of us that played a lot on test messed with the minds of the Live evercrack heads.

eski2
06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
the Project M idea could have been very good if there was a specific instance for it, and rewards for players willing to try PvP against players who don't lose anything by dying (i can't remember if they lost xp, but they didn't lose items or pp).

Being low level and fighting against newbie monsters that can coordinate is much much tougher than normal!

eski2
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
One of the things about monster missions i recall was that dying might not mean anything unless the whole group wiped. For example, there was a highkeep one where you were a goblin and unless everyone died, you kept going until victory or you ran out of time. The reward was an item which could be quite important. Other such missions could give you very powerful items if you completed enough of them. I regretted not being able to get people interested in them... I think it was the Dain one that gave a decent augment.

KingMort
06-13-2009, 07:36 PM
In fact in most of those monster missions dying was just a part of it... Some times dying was even part of the strat to win...

Project M was also a really neat idea but that's not a MM... However it would be cool to see that as an option..

As I recall you could be an Orc or whatever and no one could understand you...