PDA

View Full Version : Before I start

zergling
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi guys.

Im considering using this install guide
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DebianLinuxServer

And I noticed that it uses a command to get the most recent version of MySQL. Which was okay when the guide was written, but would now grab 5.1 which I have heard has issues with the range keyword thing.

Is there a way to specify to get the older version?

I'm starting with a new blank hard drive, so trying to decide between going windows or linux now. I'm new to debian, but have fiddled with Linux a bit a couple years ago for something else. I am a little inexperienced with Linux, but that guide was good enough to make me seriously consider it. Most of the windows guides I have found seem to have some issues at the moment.

Thanks for your time, and any input is appreciated, even "just go make a windows server newb".

zergling
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Can't Edit/Delete so figured I would just reply here.

Just noticed some other issues that will be making me not go for Linux. If anyone has power to, you can delete this thread.

pfyon
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I used that guide in addition to a couple other linux ones on the wiki for my install on a fedora-based system. Had no problems using the most recent versions of everything (gcc/g++, mysql, whatever else it called for).

There are a few small bugs in game, mobs tend to go through the corners of walls and such, but i'm not sure that's a linux issue and more likely something wrong in the pathing files.

trevius
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Linux has one major advantage over Windows, if you think your server ever has a chance to get a large player-base. The advantage is that Windows Servers get player ghosts on them that heavily use up resources and build up over time to lag servers out pretty badly. This means that you have to restart the server at least once a day for optimal performance. On Linux, the ghosting issue does not happen, so it is not a concern. You still need to restart a Linux server every few days if you have heavy server traffic, but it is much more stable from what I have seen and definitely performs noticeably better with the same exact hardware. One other minor thing is that you will have to restart a Windows PC every few days due to problems that build up and affect performance over time. On Linux, you never ever have to restart the PC itself, which is nice :)

zergling
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I might try it out anyway just to see if it works. I can always format and do windows after that if need be.