PDA

View Full Version : resists and dots

LumieX
06-06-2009, 07:32 AM
I've always thought resists should work a lot differently then they do now

each resist point should be worth exactly the same, each point in a resist should be a .2% chance to completely resist a spell and, if said spell lands, should reduce incoming damage by .2% so if you have 100 FR, you've got a 20% chance to fully resist fire spells and if they land, their damage is reduced by 20% and you become immune to a resist type at 500, unless of course, vs a lure spell

ive always hated how you just simply get 200 in a resist and you basically become immune to it unless it's a lure

ive also hated how resists work vs dots...only the initial cast has a resist check and this was especially annoying on pvp servers once everyone became well geared enough to resist my shamans dots constantly

how it shouldve worked was the initial cast gets a resist check and then if it lands, each ticks damage is reduced by a certain % based on your resist

so say you have 200 PR, you should have a 40% chance to fully resist the spell and if it lands, each ticks damage will be reduced by 40%

also, things like stuns and roots/slows should also work the same way

if you've got 300 MR and someone casts a 10 second stun on you, you should have a 60% chance to fully resist the spell and if it lands, the stun should have its length reduced by 60%, thus resulting in a 4 second stun

same with slows, 200 MR and someone casts a 50% slow on you, it should reduce the slow by 40% which makes the slow a 30% slow instead

just curious if this stuff can even be done?

AndMetal
06-06-2009, 08:28 AM
just curious if this stuff can even be done?

Yes, it can be done.

LumieX
06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
about how hard do you think it would be to do?

VallonTallonZek
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
On the scale of things to change in the souce to make custom, it would be one of the easier modifications you could do. Everything you need is contained within a single function, so theres no jumping around in the code. If you know even basic C++ syntax and basic math then it would take you maybe a day having no experience with how the emu source is setup.

LumieX
06-06-2009, 11:20 AM
why don't you do this for vz/tz? just seems to make way more sense, especially the dot resist checks per tick

would really take care of the people complaining theyre constantly being resisted since I think the chance to resist completely gets way too high too quickly

VallonTallonZek
06-06-2009, 11:54 AM
because I dont agree with a linear gain resist system. What we have now on our server gives greater gains in complete resist at lower gear levels, and at higher gear levels trades off complete resist gains for increase partial rate gains. This ensures that no matter how high you get your resists, you can still land spells that do some damage.

DoT spells work the way they do on our server because we dont change things in classic unless we need to for balance. Typically DoT heavy classes fair well, so no change in that area has been needed.

That is the short answer, but if you want go post a poll in our suggestions forum on our site and if enough people would rather see things the way you described them then I am willing to change it.