PDA

View Full Version : Player position

Sion
06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Is there any way to setup a rule that controls how often player position is updated?

trevius
06-22-2009, 05:05 PM
There are quite a few tweaks like that, which I think could make a huge impact on servers with limited bandwidth. Here is a thread that discusses similar ideas:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26389

Sion
06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
The proximity spawning is an awesome idea. For what I was doing, I was just thinking of increasing the amount of player position updates. A lot of the perl scripts I use take player position into consideration and having a more accurate idea of where a player is actually located would help greatly. I just wasn't sure how difficult it would be to add some type of rule that would control how often player updates would be sent.

trevius
06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, if you mean for how often the player updates the server, that is a totally different thing. As far as I know, the rate of how often that happens is 100% controlled by the client and there is nothing we can do to change it.

Sion
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh ok nevermind. I wasn't sure if the player position was sent to the server more often, but the server just didn't send the positions of the other players back to the client as often or something like that. It seems like the client sends the player position to the server about once every second, which is fine for most stuff but really inaccurate if you are trying to do more action-oriented stuff.