PDA

View Full Version : What do you want added to the emulator (priority or new feat

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Please post what you would like to see in the emulator id like to spark the EQEMu community up a bit, seems to be rather low lately :)

AcydRx
08-24-2002, 10:21 AM
We want the zone issue(s) fixed, first of all. ;) Everything else can come later. lol. Oh yeah, and we want you dev guys to be happy. happy people = more work... more work = more play... more play = more happy! lol. or something like that. ;)

Acyd

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Last I checked zoning is fixed, its being tested

unix_phreak
08-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Will that be included in 3.6?

kathgar
08-24-2002, 12:55 PM
3.5 hasn't been released?

Wiz
08-24-2002, 01:55 PM
My feature requests:

Mapping. LOS. This is a major thing IMO. Would allow to make much better aggro/wander code.

Bugs with Persistent Zone States fixed. They cause a whole lot of character corruption. Haven't been able to figure out why.

A way to read player resists. Is this already in? Been unable to find it if so.

Vipermmx
08-24-2002, 02:15 PM
The things I want will make the Emu as playable as possible.

Pathing for NPC.
Enchanced AI.
LOS would be nice.
Guildmasters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those would make the emu close to full use. You could play it like EQ almost.

hogosha
08-24-2002, 02:38 PM
I think it would be cool to bind zones to certain I.P.'s in MySQL. Like for each port, a zone is possible, or it could be switched to the way it was. Also the pets would be cool if they were fixed. Perhaps maybe having the skill increase NPC's would be nice.

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 02:40 PM
What do you mean by port?

Shawn319
08-24-2002, 03:09 PM
I think he means sea port (for boats).

Shawn319
08-24-2002, 03:10 PM
Last I checked zoning is fixed, its being tested

It's broke again =P

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Shawn: only because your attempting to use #zone which hes fixing :P

hogosha
08-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Ports in like 7995 7996 7997 and so forth, having those be bound specifically in mysql may be better, maybe worse, i think it's worth checking in to.
The zones don't work for me. Everytime i try to login and enter a zone the zone immediately crashes. Im running Windows ME on a laptop.

_OZZY_
08-24-2002, 03:25 PM
I, for one, would like to see the public login back. I don't care about the source code. I'd even settle for a windows-only version. I've got an old Celeron that I can put Windows on just to run it. Wandering monsters / NPCs would also be a good thing.

hogosha
08-24-2002, 03:27 PM
yeah, the NPC's need to be able to walk around and between zones. This I believe will call for some extra tables in the spawn entries.

morpheus014
08-24-2002, 04:38 PM
I would really love to see things like server side effects for AA abilities which would bring the emu another step closer to live, also getting horses working would be great too, always wanted one =)

mByte
08-24-2002, 05:04 PM
what id like to see if you have the time
Some Archery Code
and Um... Wandering NPC - this is prolly a pain in the ass

other then that you guys doing great job keep it up :)

DeletedUser
08-24-2002, 09:22 PM
Yes.. serverside pathing would be good.

Personally.. I think zoning fix should be first.

Then NPCs should be worked on. (AI,etc)

Then spells/effects. (Horses/AA Points/etc.)

(Fixing errors inbetween from patches).

Big things that I see need to be fixed.

Shawn319
08-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Shawn: only because your attempting to use #zone which hes fixing :P

I was using /zone AND #zone on Forever-Hacking (which was running latest code).. and i couldnt zone hehe.

Minuss
08-24-2002, 11:10 PM
First of all, I would like to have a zone fix :/
Second thing, a better netcode, I'm in france on a dsl 512k connect and its very laggy :(
Third, npc ai - pathing, guildmasters etc...
fourth, spell fix
and fifth, remove cmds like #zone, #summonitems #level etc, so we can play like on eq live...
Goodluck :P

Wiz
08-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Minuss, removing those commands for your own server is very easy, just takes a little coding.

And a couple more feature requests:

Guildmasters, Archery.

Shawn319
08-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Minuss, removing those commands for your own server is very easy, just takes a little coding.

And a couple more feature requests:

Guildmasters, Archery.

not even coding.. just a small tweak in addon.ini

I wish all the devs would work on a zoning/disconnect fix FIRST, then move onto other things (doing them one by one). After all, absolutely nothing matters if you cant log in, zone whereever you want and actually be able to walk around.

the "ohh this is too hard or i cant do it so i'll fix something else" approach isint gonna get the emu very far. We need teamwork =P

(MHO)

Aspirax
08-25-2002, 12:05 AM
OZZY>

Rejoice! PublicLogin works FINE under WINE. :)

hogosha
08-25-2002, 12:09 AM
I think the way the progress should go is like this....

Zones to be completely working
Spells to be working from pets to AA
Spawns to have better AI, wandering, aggro based of faction
Spawn zone to zone wandering, (Like Nerissa Clothspinner)
Spawn activated by point in quest

If you believe it should happen in a different order or something should be added, by all means correct me.

Wiz
08-25-2002, 12:22 AM
not even coding.. just a small tweak in addon.ini

I wish all the devs would work on a zoning/disconnect fix FIRST, then move onto other things (doing them one by one). After all, absolutely nothing matters if you cant log in, zone whereever you want and actually be able to walk around.

the "ohh this is too hard or i cant do it so i'll fix something else" approach isint gonna get the emu very far. We need teamwork =P

(MHO)

It's in the ini? Oh well, I haven't had those features for normal players since... 0.2.4 or so.

I agree. Zoning/disconnection problems should be priority #1, I wish I had more C++ knowledge than I did... heh. I can code any normal in-game feature fine, but network packets? LOS? Durrr.

How many devs are there nowadays anyways?

And final request:

Money trading and money banking.

Virion
08-25-2002, 02:59 AM
I agree, get all the zones working correctly first. I still can't spawn as a new char for certain races (but overall great work so far!) Also maybe some vendor functionality, just some random common items they sell (maybe someone with an active EQ account can gather some vendor info on items.)

*Also, can the randomly pathed npcs be done by having them randomly select which direction for x seconds while moving forward until they hit y distance then turn and slowly head to where they spawn (so you don't get orcs walking into Felwithe at random)?

Minuss
08-25-2002, 04:36 AM
if one day we could have a working emu, I don't see any interest to play and summon all items I want :/
so I think that when the emu 'll be "ready" devs should remove these cmds...
a very important thing is the netcode... I made a few little events with people and we were disconnected in all fights :/

kathgar
08-25-2002, 04:49 AM
You can have zoneservers with a certain zone on specific ports,like
zone arena ip port ip.. starts arena, and it says arena, always..
ugh, pathing/wandering are not happy.. we had code for it, but it LAGGED badly, the bandwidth and the processor.. would be heavily burdened with pathing or wanding (pathing being mobs walking around walls instead fo through them, wandering being the orcs wandering etc.. or even the ghouls in guk partoling)
lets see..
Pretty sure we have a thing to spawn on quest.. in the quest files...wandering between zones, that is really multiple spawns if I remember correctly, they just time them right
Factions- pretty sure they all work right, but the problem is the world buiders dont have them right.. things like wandering and faction is well, we make the tools, they make the databases..
Minuss: even if we make it like live, the GMs will still need teh commands, because we don't have the gm client.. just change the access levels in addon.ini so the normal users can use it?

Wiz
08-25-2002, 06:48 AM
What system did you use for pathing, anyways? I started toying around with a database waypoint system, but as you said, it caused insane amounts of lag.

Is it the reading where to go or wandering itself that causes the system strain? Have to be some kind of workaround.

hogosha
08-25-2002, 07:50 AM
i think with the traveling path what you need to do is make it have x,y,z, zone. Having multiple points of these you could make the spawn move to this point directly, then move to the next point in the list. I don't know if this is already implented, but I can see that being the easiest way instead of making every single point. It's going to be complicated unless someone hacks verant and gets their server software. If someone did that, then wow, we got it made, just gotta figure out how to run the mess.

Wiz
08-25-2002, 08:04 AM
i think with the traveling path what you need to do is make it have x,y,z, zone. Having multiple points of these you could make the spawn move to this point directly, then move to the next point in the list. I don't know if this is already implented, but I can see that being the easiest way instead of making every single point. It's going to be complicated unless someone hacks verant and gets their server software. If someone did that, then wow, we got it made, just gotta figure out how to run the mess.

Yes. We shall hack VI. That's not at all likely to get legal repercussions, or be next to impossible, or give us server software that's optimized for servers way beyond what a normal person can provide. :rolleyes:

#end sarcasm

Hardy
08-25-2002, 10:33 AM
Someone probably already said this and I missed it, but Tradeskills would be kewl, but first do the zoning and the other stuff that makes it playable. What good is a tradeskill if you can't use it? :p

Also, devs should work together on ONE area and get together for meetings and talk about what they got, if everyone works on the same thing (aka the zoning issue) then you might be able to resolve it quicker. I would say the zoning issues and anything else that makes it playable should always come first, features can come after. Features are no good if you can't even play on the emu, hehe.

I only scanned through the posts, to many :p, if I repeated anything....my bad :D

DeletedUser
08-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Trade skills do work I believe, you just have to create them :)

hogosha
08-25-2002, 12:03 PM
You know, maybe we've been going about this all wrong. Perhaps all the zones spawns and everything are inside Everquest all along, we're just unable to pop it up. If you think about it, for Verant to run the way they do would require lots of computer power, and a lot of time just optimizing the spawns. It would be nice to know how Verant actually runs everything to get a smooth game with lag only from the modem connecting to it or 2k+ in users.

Aspirax
08-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Distributed computing.

hogosha
08-25-2002, 01:42 PM
yeah, i could draw a diagram of how I think EQEmu would best work. But i think the database should be seperated. For each computer should be cut and run a mysql of the content it should have. For Example: There should be one computer to handle accounts and characters, and maybe items. Then each zone should be ran on a seperate computer with it's zone's spawns factions, etc. But I think going like that will remove a whole lot of lag and computer run-down.

Hardy
08-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Varent has a pretty nice size server running EQ, actually they have alot. They spawn the beasts through there server, it is not in the game at all. If you got online on one of there servers and you was the only one on there, you would still be running the internet because it still needs to read the spawns etc... What kind of server would you think you would be running if your GROSS income was $74,867,000? Take out bills, still have a nice size sum left, maybe $60,000,000? A month? Thats just wild! How did I get them numbers? Well, just take $13 a month times the number of people online, around 443,000, last time i checked. So I bet they run spawns off there server they are not in the files. If they are, I would be really surprised! I don't know much about servers and stuff, so I could be wrong you know.

Hardy
08-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Trade skills do work I believe, you just have to create them
I knew that! Just making sure you remembered! *grin* :p

Hisoka
08-25-2002, 03:07 PM
I have played the Emu for only 3 days now but i wanted to give my opinion :)

Hardy
08-25-2002, 03:19 PM
I got a hacking game! Will that work to hack VI? huh huh? I try! whats there IP address? Actually they might be in the game, I hack them now, mwahahahaha!........................../eyebrow

Quests do work, just don't have to many on servers. I believe that AI will be kinda difficult :( Would have to set most mobs where they go, what to do, how to do it, when to do it, I think the computer would explode pretty soon, or maybe even the programmers brain! Just hire some Varent workers, get them to come in, or go work for Varent undercover...yea, thats it! Go apply for Varent as a deep dark undercover agent! There we go!!! YEA!!!!!

I think its my bed time......no?

kathgar
08-26-2002, 01:47 AM
Quests are working, so are tradeskills.. you just have to make them
Pathing- we /have/ a waypoint system, it stresses way too much.. and the spawns aren't our problem.. since the world databases are third party.
Horses/aa/disciplines/ PACKETCOLLECT we don't have data on these
Luclin zones work.. bankers and vendors work.. GM training is the only one that doesn't work yet
/ooc works for everyone on the world
Guilds work, mostly
EQ servers run about 3-5 zones per server, based on average load(usage) and have nice amounts of memory, and are quite dedicated..

Wiz
08-26-2002, 02:30 AM
What 'bout quest container combines? Are those in?

kathgar
08-26-2002, 03:13 AM
Yeah, just make 'em like trade skills I bet

Wiz
08-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Well, wouldn't that force you to make combines in trade skill containers like tailor kit, jewel kit, etc?

Or can you flag a container to use a bogus skill, say, evocation, and have a evocation based combine?

hackwizofcent
08-26-2002, 05:42 AM
I currently run the EverHack server and I would REALLY love to see all the zones fixed and especially NPCs ROAMING!!!!!..... EverQuest is not everquest without roaming creatures. It just brings the game to life!

Nic

Minuss
08-26-2002, 05:47 AM
I think that the most important thing is a good netcode... because for events and people that are located away from the server to have a good ping...

curtdept
08-26-2002, 07:08 AM
I think the project could be helped along by dropping the Linux port and using non-generic libraries and functions. With that said, you could up it to a GUI type format with autoupdate capabilities. I could write that fairly easily.

Zoning is definetly high on the list. NPC AI pathing I dont care all that much about. Spells would help more then that. Being able to cast ports etc.

I noticed as the fight progresses towards the end of the fight it lags heavily. There is likely a codefix for it, havent even bothered to look at it yet.

-Asiel

Aspirax
08-26-2002, 07:27 AM
Why would you drop the unix port? That's just sillyness.
If you're dead set against GUI, then use a common platform.
(QT, or somesuch)

If you're serious about running a server, and you want to be able to have the dependability Verant has, make sure the unix port lives. Because I can guarantee that Verant doesn't use Windows for their servers.

Trumpcard
08-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Acually, youre incorrect.... Zone servers in Verantland are NT based, as much as I hate to say it... They have a huge farm of them.

I would have guessed Solaris myself, but heard technical data to the contrary.

Dropping the Unix ports is a bad idea though, I really dont think theres much to be gained by trying to use MSFC. The standard C/C++ api is fine...

Aspirax
08-26-2002, 07:42 AM
I'll be damned, I did not know that.
Thanks for claraification.

curtdept
08-26-2002, 07:49 AM
Its terribly difficult optimizing code when your programming for multiple OSes. You cannot use all the nifty precoded features of things like MFC, .NET Namespaces, Streaming programs for Windows execution etc. As for stability, I have a box over here with Mandrake 8.1. Personally I would take Win2k Adv. Server or .NET Enterprise Server over it any day of the week.

-Asiel

Aspirax
08-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Yeah, you will also be shelling out $3-$4k to legally run those OSes.

curtdept
08-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Nay, Technet Subscription gives all I ever need ;p

Aspirax
08-26-2002, 07:53 AM
I said legally.

DeletedUser
08-26-2002, 08:28 AM
Some members on the EQEMu team are trying to recover some source from the original map pathing, hoping to build off of it, it was great code..

hogosha
08-26-2002, 08:30 AM
I plan on making my computer a server for a EQEmu server. I think it would be nice if EQEmu put together a group of people to run servers. Maybe implent a code inside of it that monitors the actual bugs or errors or anything unusual for that matter and sends them to some server to be read. I would keep a server up and run software like that if EQEmu did that.

kathgar
08-26-2002, 08:37 AM
I think the project could be helped along by dropping the Linux port and using non-generic libraries and functions. With that said, you could up it to a GUI type format with autoupdate capabilities. I could write that fairly easily.

Alright, you are just stupid. Why the HELL do we need a GUI? Not to mention, we can and do use specilized functions thats wtf #ifdef _LINUX_ #ifdef WIN32 are for..
Not to mention the most popular servers have run, guess what, LINUX?
The netcode is not completely optomized, but its not horrible either..
And seriously, someone please tell me, why everyone is psycho about roaming? 99% of the time people are #spawning stuff and beating it up or going to sleepers or something and beating stuff up.. and always with uber gear so they just have to hit autoattack and they rape..

Aspirax
08-26-2002, 08:40 AM
My end goal here is to run a server for me and my close friends to play together. For real. From level 1. Not cheating by spawning shit, and whatnot. So, roaming would make the environment more realistic.

Also, how well does using switches work? I noticed in Great Faydark (or whatever?) there are switches to go up to the place in the trees and they did not work. I've no idea what piece this uses, or i'd look myself.

kathgar
08-26-2002, 08:44 AM
Objects/doors.. there is only like.. 8 thinks like that total int he game iirc.. so its not a big deal

Hardy
08-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Some people would like roaming mainly because either a) they don't have the cash to play on Varents Servers or b) it does get pretty boring when stuff don't roam, I would like roaming also and I play on Varents Servers, well used to. And one more thing............

Alright, you are just stupid.
I would call that a flame, read the rules :p

curtdept
08-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Didnt say you needed one. Was a suggestion, integrate an on the fly item editor into it or something. I dunno, frankly I dont care. The console app atm is fine with me. Just though the project could possibly get a boost from using features inherently built into windows and windows specific libraries. I still see Linux as having a lot of "dirty code". Which would be an inherent problem when dealing with the way it is developed.

-Asiel

hogosha
08-26-2002, 09:52 AM
First off, to have a graphical interface is bad. It will cause cpu usage that is unnecessary. A seperate program could be built. But to have EQEmu built with a graphical interface, thats just unneccesary. So if you want a graphical interface, build a seperate application. I believe the goal of EQEmu is too build an application that can successfully run Everquest and be stable with the features Everquest has. Anything more is just too much.

khuong
08-26-2002, 10:18 AM
i'm sexy

hogosha
08-26-2002, 10:20 AM
what are you talkin about, get off this site! lol

khuong
08-26-2002, 10:28 AM
*dances around ^_^ so sexy

DeletedUser
08-26-2002, 02:50 PM
www.khuongissekcy.com

Hardy
08-26-2002, 03:23 PM
lol :p Back to features.......I don't have anything else to report, bye :D

fwiggles
08-27-2002, 12:09 PM
well...the zone thing which everyone has said lol, and i'm not sure if it is possible, but what about an ingame item creator for server op's or something? that would be kind of cool lol...just a thought

DeletedUser
08-27-2002, 12:37 PM
in-game item creation would most likely be limited to text unless the bazaar interface has some secret things (for gms) we dont know about, have to find out :)

DeletedUser
08-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Ingame Item Editting is possible as the devs already made a command for someone to edit it ingame.. it just has to reload the zone server.. and you can't zone so :)

- Don't know if item creation is possible... but you can edit them so I probably think there is a chance its possible.

:D

hogosha
08-28-2002, 01:04 PM
im hungry

khuong
08-28-2002, 03:45 PM
actually its possible ^_^

lol we have the code to edit items without need to restart zone servers :)
hehe

Kolo
08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
#1: Zoning...
#2: Net-Code
#3: Which nobody mentioned? Groups
#4: Make the #searchitems return more items :)
#5: I cant think right now... :rolleyes:

DeletedUser
08-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Groups do work...

DeletedUser
08-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Its very easy to add a new item to the database without restarting, its just making the ability to edit in-game thats a challenge (a easy setup not #makeitem asdkfj4 t280t5208 jae0t438 j4t083gj 340t8 tj380tjt803 3tjatgj034) :)

DeletedUser
08-30-2002, 02:55 PM
groups used to work. wasnt working 5 minutes ago.

#4: Make the #searchitems return more items
Cough #itemsearch cough cough :)

DeletedUser
08-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Todays changelog:

--------------------
- August 30th, 2002-
--------------------
Image: Added some more safe-guards for pets attacking clients
Image: Incorrect account flagging for hacking has been fixed.
Image: Zoning fixed!
Image: Pets will now cast damage shields (if they have that capability)
Image: NPCs will now cast spells again while fighting
Image: You can now summon the magician epic pet
Image: NPCs weapons are fixed
Image: Added basics for GuildMasters, still need to understand the special skill system for them.
Image: Fixed #spawn, no longer will crash the zone server.
Image: Setup the Instill Doubt opcode, doesnt matter much at the moment.
Image: Found the proper place that face is held in playerprofile, meaning, facial features fixed.
Image: Found skill points in player profile (points that you use at your guild master).

DeletedUser
08-30-2002, 11:58 PM
could you fix dietys too? I don't think this is hard... maybe the numbers were changed? but all characters are made agnostic. (even if I select tunare)

Other then that, good job.. keep up the work.

Baron Sprite
08-31-2002, 04:44 PM
too lazy to read if anyone else posted this.
IMAGE - how about field in spawn data for spell types that can not effect npc? ehe ;)