PDA

View Full Version : NPC Attack Skill Type

trevius
07-08-2009, 03:34 AM
I was thinking that it would be cool to have 2 new fields added to the NPC table that would allow NPCs to be set to use a certain skill type for primary and secondary attacks without requiring them to have a weapon of that type in their loot table. Since we can already set the weapon models for either hand in the table, it would be good to have the option to set the correct attack messages and animations to go along with them. So, if the NPC is weilding a 1hs, the player would see the 1hs animation when they attack and also get the "slashed for" message when they get hit. If the default was left at 0 for these fields, it would just either punch or use the skill of any wielded weapon. If it was set to anything other than 0, it would use that skill type from the list for items.

I am not exactly sure what it would take to add this option in, or I would add it myself. I may eventually try to look further into it eventually if I have time. Figured it would be good to note here and also to see if anyone else might like to use the idea or work on code to support it.

ChaosSlayerZ
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
this is brilliant! We can get npc slashings and piercing without the need to actualy give them any actual weapon to wield

ChaosSlayerZ
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh Trev, you should also add special attack type to represent animals/insects etc.

I am rather seek of seeing messages like:
"A snake slashes you" or a "A bat kicks you"

I know they got those attacks cuase they are of correspanding class, but it would be better if we could assing them one of these new variables which would ALWAYS show their attacks as "bites" or "claws" or "mauls" even if its not a primary attack.

I know SOE a while back replaced the default attacks with those that corespand for cretaure type, but many new models stil have attacks messages as if they were humanoids

Same applies for armed BST pets =)

So:

0 - default
1 - 1hs
2 - 2hs
3 - 1hb
4 - 2hb
5 - 1hp
6 - 2hp
7 - bites
8 - claws
9 - mauls
10 - whatever the birds do

may want to think of a few more

trevius
09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I was checking on something else and happened to verify that they already do exactly this on Live. In Stone Hive, they have a bunch of NPCs wielding weapon models that are not in their loot table and they do show the correct message types when attacking like "slashes", "crushes", etc.

I think the best way to do it might be to use the attack types we already have defined and create 2 new fields in the npc_types table like "prim_atk_type" and "sec_atk_type".

Also, to do what ChaosSlayer is wanting, we could just have an extra field that overrides any other attack message type if it is set. A text field like "atk_type_msg" that you just put the attack type message such as "tailwhips" or "bites" or "scratches" or you get the picture :)

Rogean
09-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Theres no need for a secondary attack type because all offhand attacks look the same regardless.

I'll see about getting the primary attack type added.

ChaosSlayerZ
09-27-2009, 02:16 AM
I was checking on something else and happened to verify that they already do exactly this on Live. In Stone Hive, they have a bunch of NPCs wielding weapon models that are not in their loot table and they do show the correct message types when attacking like "slashes", "crushes", etc.

actually LIVE had this thing all way since GoD
I remember fighting those purple towering brutes in Barindu and they all were slashing with those huge black halberds, yet never had them for loot.

ChaosSlayerZ
09-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Theres no need for a secondary attack type because all offhand attacks look the same regardless.

I'll see about getting the primary attack type added.

look the same?
but are they texted the same?
What will happen if mob has sword in primary and mace in 2ndary?

Rogean
09-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Valid point.

trevius
09-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah, the message was my main concern, but might as well do matching animations as well for different weapon animations for primary and whether or not to use offhand animations.

submaysense
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
does NPCs can use the archery skill now?

when i root ranger mob,they only stand and watch me..

i had add mysql tools stats on Npc ID_specialattack line with "Y",

but not work..

what IF_

quest::Ueskill archery ?

trevius
10-06-2010, 08:19 AM
No, archery combat for NPCs has not been implemented yet. It would be nice to get it working, but requires a bit of AI for the NPCs to be able to do it properly. We would need to take certain things into account like having the NPC check for the range to their target, stop moving and start shooting if there is LoS and they are within range, and so on.

submaysense
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
do like to see it happen on future,

thanks Trevius.