PDA

View Full Version : Some New Task

djeryv
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Here are some new Tasks for anyone who wants them on their server. Just...

1. Download (http://www.djeryv.com/downloads/djeryv_tasks.zip) the files
2. Shutdown your server
3. Put the perl scripts in your QUESTS/TEMPLATES folder
4. Source the djeryv_tasks.sql file
5. Start your server and you are ready to go

What you will get is 15 different NPCs. One will be in the Plane of Knowledge and the others will be near most of the starting cities (except Felwithe as there is one next to Kelethin). These NPCs are Witches of the Velvet Order. They are FINDABLE and they each have a handful of tasks that need to be done. They are placed far enough from the towns so any race can approach them and do the tasks they have. There are a total of 447 tasks among all the different Witches. The Witch in the Plane of Knowledge has tasks from Levels 20-35. The other Witches have tasks from Levels 6-20. They give Cash and XP rewards. They will also have a list of a few items that they will give for completing a task. When you get a task from one of the Witches, you will get a detailed task they want you to do. You will also see all the different items that you may get when you do the task. When a task is complete, you will get the first item in the list. If you do not want that item, simply give the item back to the Witch and she will give you the next item in the list. You can do this around and around until you get the item (from the list of rewards) that you want. Each task will have a sentence at the end that states you may trade in items in this fashion. Each task also has a recommened level so you know if you are ready to handle it or not. Each task is repeatable and has no time limits or level restrictions.

- Djeryv

djeryv
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I had to fix a couple tasks and a couple spelling errors. There is also a new NPC added in this update. He is the Craftsman of the Velvet Order. He hangs out in the Bazaar and will trade items (you get from the Witches) for items you can used in tradeskills. The items he has are items you cannot get from drops or merchants. You simply say the exact name of the item you seek and he will tell you if he has it and what he wants in trade. He will even tell you the name of the Witch, what zone she is in and what Task she needs done for you to get the item the Craftsman wants in trade. Simply do what I wrote in the first post, the DOWNLOAD is up to date.

I forgot to mention in my first post that these 447 Tasks are pretty much meant for people who run servers with very low populations. My server literally only has 4 player accounts. It is just for me, my wife and a couple other friends to play on. You could imagine how rare it is to see another player. The magic items you get from the Witches are very good items for a low population server, as you need to pretty much play alone and need all the help you can get.

As for the Craftsman...my wife likes to craft stuff. She was complaining the other day about getting components. She has a good point that you may need something only a Level 50 Shaman can make you...or even something only a high level Druid can summon. On a large population server, it is easier to give a shout out to those classes or craftsmen who can make these odd items, but on our server...she does not want to make a Shaman and go through all the work to get some component only an Alchemist can make that she may need to Enchant (for example). That is why the Craftsman was added to the Bazaar, so she can get these rare items to craft with. Like I wrote, he does not have stuff you can get from monsters or merchants...I wanted to keep that part because she can go out and buy/kill stuff to get those things.

-Djeryv

leslamarch
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
very nice work here, added some neat little touches to a server, Thanks for sharing.

djeryv
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I moved the link this weekend. You can get it here...

CLICK HERE (http://www.djeryv.com/_downloads/djeryv_tasks.zip)

Shiny151
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice touch. I added these to my server and some funny things happened. Turns out the witches scowl at everyone so when you walk up to them in a zone that allows combat you'll get your butt kicked.

I changed their NPC faction from 47 to 0 using George's Tools. The next issue I'm having is they don't respond to their quoted text; however they respond to the bind request. I didn't examine the perl code yet but perhaps I don't meet the level requirement (level 52). There should probably be text that indicates this since no one really knows what the witches are for.

djeryv
01-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I once used 47 for the faction, because the Priest of Discord was that faction...but I see it was changed to 0. I posted a question on the forums about the TASKSELECTOR not working in the Perl code. Someone wrote that some Perl code was broken a few revs ago (which I run 1052) and they claimed TASKSELECTOR works in 1111. I did not notice a problem because I have not played in months. I do update my server when new binaries are released though, so it must have broke a rev or 2 ago.

There are no level restrictions on these tasks. If you simply hail them and say "serve" (when it is working properly), they will give you a list of tasks with a preferable level (does not mean you have to be that level). There is enough text with the witches for players to figure it out...just need the perl code to execute the TASKSELECTOR command. I am eager for new binaries to see if the problem simply vanishes.

-Djeryv

Shiny151
01-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Hey djeryv

Yeah I figured that out too. I reverted to the compiled 1036 revision and they now work fine. Once they started working I checked out the items from the quests. WOW. Some of them are quite 00ber! I think they may be a bit unbalanced for a server like mine that's trying to stay as close to Live as possible. I only have about half a dozen active players on my server.

If you develop anything that more closely resembles other quests for gear on par with their appropriate level I'd be happy to implement them on my server. It's just that we players who are in our mid 50s have busted our butts to get the gear we have and if the young players are getting gear better than us with little effort seems to trivialize our efforts.

Good work tho, it is a great idea and was implemented well. I suppose I could customize them for my specific server but there are a TON of times you put in there. I appreciate the offer to the community. Good work!

djeryv
01-18-2010, 08:48 AM
If you read the 2nd post I made in this thread, you will see I stated that the items are that way because I have a low population server. My server does not mimic LIVE as I have some rules enabled (bots as well) that allow for a solo play experience without the frustations of losing corpses and xp.

-Djeryv

djeryv
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
The download has the faction id set to 0 now...and the Witches give tasks as of version 1114. Must have been something wrong with 1052.

- Djeryv

Shiny151
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
The task system works great now. I upgraded my server to version 1114 and I don't see the issues I saw in compiled revision 1052 which is when it started.

Again, thanks for your work with the witches. I think it is a great contribution to the community and would love to see anything else you'd like to release.

Cheers

djeryv
03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I rearranged my web server awhile ago so here is the new link...

HERE (http://www.djeryv.com/misc/djeryv_tasks.zip)

- Djeryv

revloc02c
03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey man, thanks for posting this. I also run a small server.

I have a couple questions before I implement this on my server:

1. I was looking at the .sql file and saw a ton of UPDATEs to the 'items' table that changes the price of things. Are these existing items that are being updated? Also, just curious--why the price changes?

2. I also saw a bunch of items getting changed to be not LORE anymore, just wondering what that is about please?

3. I probably could look this up somewhere, but since we are here: What is the purpose of the quests/templates folder? Almost all of the other folders there in the quests directory are zone names, what's the templates folder for (I'm still learning some stuff)?

Thanks.

sorvani
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
quest templates is active no matter what zone you are in. not sure which one executes first though. zone quest of templates quest.

djeryv
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
1. I was looking at the .sql file and saw a ton of UPDATEs to the 'items' table that changes the price of things. Are these existing items that are being updated? Also, just curious--why the price changes?

This was to fix an exploit with the tasks. Characters can get extra rich fast if I did not do this.

2. I also saw a bunch of items getting changed to be not LORE anymore, just wondering what that is about please?

Task rewards would not work properly with the LORE set on the items...since you can only have one of the items.

3. I probably could look this up somewhere, but since we are here: What is the purpose of the quests/templates folder? Almost all of the other folders there in the quests directory are zone names, what's the templates folder for (I'm still learning some stuff)?

Answered above.

- Djeryv

pepsiphreak79
11-29-2011, 01:04 AM
I rearranged my web server awhile ago so here is the new link...

HERE (http://www.djeryv.com/misc/djeryv_tasks.zip)

- Djeryv

Files gone missing

djeryv
11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't know your issue. I just downloaded from work and I got it just fine.

pepsiphreak79
11-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Sweet its back What done do i put the PL files into? are they all in pok you mentionsome are in other cities Or do they all go into templates?

djeryv
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Sweet its back
It wasn't really "gone". Not sure why you couldn't get it before.

What done do i put the PL files into? are they all in pok you mentionsome are in other cities Or do they all go into templates?
templates

djeryv
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36112