PDA

View Full Version : EQhost changer and game launcher.

Speedz
09-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I got sick of manually editing my host files for connecting to various servers so I created my own lil launcher that changes them for me.
Granted a slick batch file could work too, but I prefer more functionality and control. Not to mention a slick preview I added so I can see the host file before it is written and used.

So here is the screenshot (also posted in another thread)

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7281/eqlauncher.th.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/eqlauncher.jpg/)

And here is the program WITH source. The executable is in the bin/release folder if that is all you want.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JKHFSPDI

I hope more interest is shown in this tool than my last one (I think my last one pushed my noob coding skills to the max and it was rather depressing to see zero downloads :-/) I appreciate any bug reports (in detail) and suggestions. Also if you mod the program please share if you think anyone else would like it too. (source as well)

Rogean
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Or servers could just connect to the real loginserver and we wouldn't have this problem.

Sylaei
09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Cool Speedz, This will work great for my dad. It will easily let him play on my server and on the regular loginserver.

Thanks

trevius
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
For my Titanium install, I sometimes switch from Public to my personal test server when I need to test stuff in Titanium (I use SoF 99% of the time). What I did to make this really easy was just to create a shortcut on my desktop to my eqhost.txt in the Titanium folder. Then, in that file, I have it setup like this:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998
#Host=192.168.1.102:5999
#Host=192.168.1.101:5999

That one works for connecting to the Public LS and the # signs just comment out those lines so they get ignored and it works perfectly. So, to change it, I just move the # signs around like this:

[LoginServer]
#Host=eqemulator.net:5998
Host=192.168.1.102:5999
#Host=192.168.1.101:5999

And that will let me switch to my test server. You can have as many entries as you want in your eqhost.txt this way and all you need to do is open it, do the very simple edit and save it then run EQ.

Speedz
09-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Or servers could just connect to the real loginserver and we wouldn't have this problem.

I just like the option to easily switch to servers that are not based on the emu's login server. As you see I do shamelessly promote the use of the emu login servers by having that entry as default :-P

Aside from that I have a really crappy WISP for internet. I don't have the luxury of a strong fast stable connection. I am sure there are others in the same boat. So offline tools are extremely handy. IF I had a good internet connection I may not worry so much, since the emu has been up for many years and shown the login server is a reliable resource. But my net is not.

@trevius I just like to be lazy and like the interaction with GUI stuff that allows me to be lazy (tho not so lazy spending a couple days coding this up...but w/e lol)

Also if someone plays on Live still AND the emu it can simplify the process of not screwing up the emu versioned EQ folder by accidently messing things up. No matter how fail safe it is, someone can and will screw it up ( I should know I have too )

Lastly, I am trying to self teach C# so the more projects I do that I would actually use, the better I get. There is no better place to make tools than here :-)

@ Sylaei I'm glad you like it. Thank you for showing interest in it. If you have ideas to improve or add to it, let me know or code them up and share with us.

Speedz
09-24-2009, 02:23 AM
fyi to those interested, I am in the process of adding an auto cpu affinity option.

This is taking me a little time to research how I want to do this especially since I don't know the code needed. I have found a utility called psexec from sysinternals but I prefer to do it within a single application (ie. within my code) I hate relying on outside apps to do what I want.

Basically if I can find a way to do it internally I will have it check for multiple cores and display check boxes that correspond to each core and allow the user to tic the core they want the game to run on.

I am considering having it select core 0 by default. To make it simple for quick starting.

Thoughts or links to sites that would help? Any would be appreciated.

leslamarch
09-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Maybe something like this?

{
Process game = new Process();
game.StartInfo.FileName = "eqgame.exe";
game.StartInfo.Arguments = "patchme";
game.Start();
game.ProcessorAffinity = (IntPtr)1;
}

Speedz
09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
@leslamarch Again you saved the day. I found anything but this method in my searches. I am going to have to buy you a beer sometime lol. :-)

Shin Noir
09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
You do realize that if you register with EQEMU and try to connect to a LAN based IP machine it will utilize a local route right?
e.g. if I host on 192.168.1.100 and connect to eqemu login servers with it, then connect to it via 192.168.1.101 it'll route locally once I choose the server on EQEMU's server select.

That's what this line is for:
<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. -->
<address>youremu.com</address>
<localaddress>192.168.1.100</localaddress>
<!-- Loginserver information. -->

At least that's my understanding. *shrugs*.

Speedz
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
@Shin Noir

As stated previously, I have a real unstable internet connection and like to have the complete offline options. I am sure there are others that would like to not be tethered to an online server as well.

I also like to experiment with multiple servers and this tool simplifies that process. My favorite thing I like to say in computer terms "If it doesn't exist or what does exist doesn't do what I want it to do.....I'll make it myself"

Aside from the fact that I am self teaching C# as also mentioned elsewhere :-)

Speedz
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Updated Launcher in my Sig. It now has a set affinity option and auto sets affinity to first cpu by default. Also it will not allow you to set a value higher than the number of cpu cores you have.

leslamarch
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Speedz,
I think your doing some fine work with your c#, I looked through the source of your launcher and it looks good. Thanks for your efforts :)

Speedz
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you leslamarch, if you find any thing I can improve on please let me know. Also your AX launcher inspired me to create both tools :-) among other not so positive reasons......*silently cursing my ISP and lack of options

Sylaei
09-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Speedz,
Just a quick thought on the EQLauncher. I have been using it to bounce between two servers that I have running and I am using it in a T, and SOF client. I would like to see it display the current host.txt file under 'Current Saved Host File' without having to click Load. I can't seem to remember which server I was on last, :-). Anyways, just a thought and should be a simple fix, if you choose to implement. :-)

Speedz
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Good idea. Sorry for the absence from the scene. I had a major computer death and internet issues all at once. So I took a break to recover sanity. I'll refresh/post new releases when I get to tackling it. I came up with a few ideas and will add this one as well.