PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to remote database with GeorgeS' tools

csdimebag
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Hello,

Having a hard time connecting to the database remotely with GeorgeS' tools, but I CAN connect with a sql editor, whats the secret?

I tried to go to http://66.159.225.58/eqemu/eq.html as mentioned in a post by GeorgeS, but the site no longer exists,

Yes, I have installed the ODBC Drivers as well as register_ocx.bat, I also have a user for me specifically for my IP address, so I know for a fact I can connect with the mysql editor since I can go in and view all the tables and edit them at will.

I am running windows vista and I have read that vista works fine with these tools.

Thanks for the help in advance!!! Btw I love these tools, used them for some time, this is just the first time im trying to use them from a machine that is not the localhost.

Thovar
11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
figured it out. it has something to do with my router and it not being properly forwarded. since there isnt a place in the db.ini to specify the port, I dont think the router knows where to send the request for the database. I tested this out on a website hosting account I have that allowed for mysql databases. I was able to connect fine to that with these tools.

Anyways, thanks for all the views but no replys since it had me stumped as well. lol

~GM Thovar

GeorgeS
11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I simply did not know either about the port forwarding, or at least remember this. I think I use port 3306 or something like that.

Never remote my mysql databases - only local, so I have no exp in that, but this is good info.

Regarding why it can be slow to update over a remote connection is probably due to the way the recordset is kept live and the dynamic nature of it.

I'll look at this - assuming i'm also able to connect in remotely too...

Thanks for you solution

George

Secrets
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I simply did not know either about the port forwarding, or at least remember this. I think I use port 3306 or something like that.

Your tools work fine over a router boundary if you port forward, your tools are not to blame, just MySQL is.

Though, I can't remember if MySQL port numbers were an option in your database editing suite. Some of us like to us change it from 3306, so this might be a good idea to add it in a config file, like I said i'm going off of memory so it may or may not be there.

Thovar
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Well I know my router is a retarded Belkin, but thats what I get for being broke, lol.

I know I can connect remotely to databases with your tools because I set up a test database on my public website hosting account I have with godaddy.com. using the ip address I was able to just fine get to that database.

I think my router needs it to be told which port to use, even if its the default port 3306.

Maybe something you could add into the tools later on into the db.ini file? I have a work around for the issue I was having (My brother and I are trying to work on the same database, me with the localhost and him from his apartment across town). I have a database setup on my hosting account we will work off of and ill have to back it up and import it into the database on my local machine that runs the game.

I tried to get the game files to use the test database, but I think the delay is too long for data transfer and I just can't get it to work.

Anyways, thanks for all the help and your tools, they are "facking 1337"