PDA

View Full Version : start zone

hogosha
09-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Is there a way so that no matter what a character starts in a certain zone? For example :
for any new character created they would be sent to zone tutorial or qeynos.

I don't know if this could really have any benefits, but I think it could be nice.

Trumpcard
09-11-2002, 07:32 AM
I would think a little logic could handle that..

Have one zone server as a dedicated 'default' zone, if the server can't pass contact the zone youre trying to pass too, have it failover to the default one.

This is a 'outta of my ass' guess as I havent looked at it in the code, but I would think that this kinda fault tolerance wouldnt be hard to implement.

hogosha
09-11-2002, 08:28 AM
yeah, but the last time I played EQ they didn't have things like that, this would give EQEmu an edge on verant.

Trumpcard
09-11-2002, 10:32 AM
They have something similar, though most people dont realize it.
If youre character is in a zone that is down, and you sit for 10 minutes at the character select screen, when you login, you'll appear at their bind spot.

hogosha
09-11-2002, 01:29 PM
But what if the bind spot is down? hehe, maybe with my previous idea of the world running a single zone that is small like tutorial. Having World run that zone as a zone when other zones are down would be nice.

Trumpcard
09-12-2002, 12:43 AM
But then you're opening the world server up to having all sorts of zone related problems.. I'd rather lose one zone than all of them when the world server crashes because of a zoning problem.

hogosha
09-12-2002, 06:54 AM
I don't know, but it would be nice to have, or even have the world server just launch the zones with a really really small graphical interface, nothing with images, just command lines, etc...

Lurker_005
09-12-2002, 01:40 PM
so... you mean like a dos prompt?

Couldn't resist.

You know you can have a zone always run a single zone, then have any clients go to that zone IF no other zone is avaliable. It won't put ALL new client there, only if there isn't a free zone.

start zone arena yourIP PORT yourIP

note arena instead of .

and in loginserver.ini

Unavailzone=arena