PDA

View Full Version : svn rev 1102, bot ghost adjustment

Frumph
01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Queluum: This revision is making the client update on the bots look clunky and out of sync with the server. Since running with your bots keeps the bots in isMoving() state the continual sendposupdate will refresh consistantly. Is qglobal_position_update_timer.Check() not working where it can be

if(qglobal_position_update_timer.Check())
SendPosUpdate();

which will send the position update at the timers interval instead?

Kinda just getting into the code so unsure of a valid fix but currently pre-1102rev was a much smoother client visual of the bots.

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the feedback. I haven't really understood that qglobal timer, but I'll try it and see if it works better. If it does, I'll commit it asap.

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually, that timer doesn't exist anymore. I know it use to be.

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Can you describe this "clunky" appearance more? I don't see it on my dev server and I did intend to have the server send a position update to the client while the bot is moving.

is there a specific situation I can recreate to see this clunky appearance?

Frumph
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Each movement makes it look like the bots are warping every foot constantly over and over while trying to catch up to me

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I think what you are describing isn't caused by the position updates that get sent while the bot is moving.. but rather another issue i am working on that has the bots "appearing" to walk fast instead of showing the "run" animation. If you watch them, would you agree that is how they appear?

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
You can see this "walking fast" appearance more clearly if you have only one bot in your group with you and that bot has no pets. then tell your bot to guard while you run a good distance away and then tell that bot to follow you. As the bot approaches you, this bot should appear to be walking quickly to you instead of running.

Frumph
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah it looks like it's switching intermittently between walk and run mode, it's very clear to see the jumping position effect when just walking backwards with the bot trying to go with me.

I've set my character up with full runspeed aa's so the bot is lagging behind constantly because it's run speed isn't the same which might have something to do with that, on my frumph test server right now i'm playing around with it and its clearly visible (to my client) the non-fluid effect which probably does have to do with what your mentioning above. Was this a change in the last 12 hours though, yesterday was very fluid feel of the bots running

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Sounds like we agree :-) I'm looking into it now. Its been an existing issue, but perhaps I have made it more noticeable since you can witness every painstaking foot put forward by the bot now lol

Frumph
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
hah, no doubt, put two bots together and it's like watching stop-motion animation at 7fps =)

Frumph
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I did just notice something, I moved the position of the posupdate in the bot.cpp to below the tic_timer.Check() and what that's telling me when viewing it in the client is that the bot is moving faster then the position the server thinks he's at, because every tic is warping him back some

Frumph
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I think I figured it out, it appears the Bot is in constant "I want to cast" mode, which is setting the run animation speed to zero at that time (walking)

Looks like it's doing it for meditation and all that as well, what if you set a if (!IsMoving()) before executing those particular things in the animation when !engaged ?

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I'll try it out on my dev server now. I was just talking to KLS and it seems I am incorrectly sending position updates.

WildcardX
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I cant seem to make it work as you describe. Maybe I am not adding code in the same spot you are. If you have a diff, I'll look at it. Otherwise I think I am going to revert myself in the repo and use this as an opportunity to correct all bot animations. I know pet animations can have issues being consistent in combat and i have seen bots cast spells while sitting down..