PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about open zone and 3ds

Drahkon
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Without a tutorial to go by, I've been having more than a rough transition from OZ to 3ds studio max.

It seems that no matter what I do with the textures in 3ds (using the bitmap ones from openzone) the texture i import into OZ comes up just as one single tile of that texture. I can't seem to figure out how make the scaling stay.

Drahkon
04-30-2010, 06:28 PM
In retrospect, I don't think I was very clear;

I am trying to make a scene using 3ds max. I have created a single plane for test purposes. I used the textures from OZ to paint in in that program.
I see scaling options in 3dsmax, but they don't seem to carry over to OZ. Any ideas how i could fix this?

RichardoX
05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
What is your method for texturing the plane in 3dsMax? Are you actually using UV Mapping or are you just dragging/dropping a texture and tiling a seamless texture? Either way, it should carry over just fine but to me it seems that you're using the paint texture tool in 3ds max. If that's the case, then the .3ds format itself doesn't support that feature.

Unfortunately .3ds is pretty limited. :(

RichardoX
05-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh, also what's your pc specs? Windows 7? 64bit OS?

EternalBlack
05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I dont know if this is your issue, but, when it comes to the materials editor and applying a material from max to an object, changing the scaleing within the material its self does not translate over.

Idea to test:
Go into the material editor and set the scaling of x,y,z to 1. (this should make the material that is being used scale to have 1 tile cover the entire plane)
Next using the modify tab within the object you want textured, select "UVW Map"
Following this, make sure "planar" is chosen, and change the tile scaling numbers from "1" to whatever you had used within the materials editor to have the texture change back to how it looked before u reset the material.
Now export using .3ds .
This should fix the texture scaleing issue. (If you are not already doing this)

If you are using another method to texture the terrain, I will see what I can do to help you out.

-As an FYI, this method of scaling the textures using UVW Mapping works with "drag and drop" texturing as well. (It saves the texture "grid" to the texture when exporting)

I hope this helps