PDA

View Full Version : Level limits on buffs?

Irreverent
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Is there a flag somewhere to turn on the live-like buff limitations? Like a conviction can't be cast on a level 1 toon.

chrsschb
07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I can't remember where but I know on my server the level limits were in effect.

ChaosSlayerZ
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
i believe that buff duration formula type determines that property (including like duration scaling up and down with level), but how to fine tune them still mostly a mystery.

Irreverent
07-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm using the 1589 database spells...and they're still landing on players. Really would like to block the over-plvl'ing going on.

Irreverent
07-24-2010, 07:13 PM
still looking into this...is there a way to check

(again, not a coder...but just flowing this out)

if {rule_value_player_buff_restriction == True
if {spell_type == buff (but need to exclude illusion)
if {spell_level() > target_player_level + (target_player_level / 2)
abort_spell()
send_message_too_low_for_buff()
return
}
}
}

with this you would need a few items in the database:
rule_value - something to indicate this is checked or not
new_spells - new column to indicate spell level
new_spells - something to indicate that the spell is used for buff exclusion

Irreverent
09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Ok, I'm no coder...but still looking at that buff duration logic...and don't see it taking into account level.

Secrets
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
http://samanna.net/gen.info/buffs.shtml

This has a "level limit" for buffs table on it. It appears to be level dependent.

I don't see a consistent formula for it, though, we're only up to level 65 (70?) on PEQ, so implementing it for even the lower levels would help. Of course, it would need a rule value determining if you want to enable this per-serverop.

Irreverent
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Any chance this can be queue'd up as it would be a huge boon to the EMU. :)

Caryatis
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
You could always code it yourself. I know you will reply with but I don't know how to code and the answer is... learn. If the feature is so important to you, then sitting down and running through some C++ tutorials is not much to do plus then you can use that knowledge on other features you would like to add.

If you prefer somebody else do the work for you, then be prepared to wait... a long time.

Most people don't realize that they are sitting on the best resource you could ask for... thousands of lines of working code that is commented well(for the most part). You don't even need to understand C all that well to be able to grasp the very basics that allow you to do 90% of the additions that people want, just look through the code for working examples of what you want to do and alter them to suit your needs.

wheeljack
09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
That's the good and the bad about open source projects: coders tend to only work on features/fixes they care about. I know I've been guilty in the past and since I never liked this "feature" on live, I'll be guilty again. ;)

Irreverent
09-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Sent a tell instead to "help" him out. :)

ChaosSlayerZ
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
yes having universal DB controlled formula would be nice.
Something like (level*X)
and then X could be a rule set in %

So if X is 70%

then level 50*0.7=35
which means lev 50 spell cannot be landed on person below level 35