PDA

View Full Version : running login server on linux?

btuch
09-25-2002, 02:21 AM
Greetings,

Last night I compiled and set up the world and zone apps on a Linux system (Slackware 8.0) and got them running. (btw: phpMyAdmin doesn't like the .sql file, it had to be modified a bit for import). I noticed in the readme there is info about running a login server in windows. Is there source for running the login server on a Linux system? Since my dB resides on my Linux box it would be nice to have everything running on one system.

One other question... When pointing "world" at the eqemu.net login servers, and configuring my client, I was able to login, and see my server listed in the list, but it would timeout when trying to connect. I was able to connect to other servers listed though.

I am using emu v0.3.7

If I left out any needed info, please lemme know.

Thanks!

btuch
09-25-2002, 08:30 AM
nm...

I saw the post where the source for the Loginserver is not available. I guess I can run the Windows version, and then portforward 5999 over to my windows machine...I'll try that tonight.

Are there any plans though to compile the Loginserver and release it for Linux?

Thanks!

unix_phreak
09-26-2002, 05:22 AM
I tried to run everything but the Minilogon on my unix box, and it will not work.

So, either you run everything on Winblow$ or you use the public logon server. There are no 3 ways about it.

Telmo
11-05-2002, 07:52 AM
did the port forwarding work?

flipper
11-05-2002, 08:22 AM
You could try running the mini login server via wine. I was able to run the world server via wine -- the zone server was another story.

I will try this tonight. An all-Linux self-contained emu server would be quite nice.

Telmo
11-05-2002, 08:38 AM
that is exactly what I was thinking flipper, running the login server with wine.

[root@dhcppc9 EQ]# wine MiniLogin.exe
Could not stat /mnt/floppy (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
Could not stat /mnt/cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x40f55d,1) - no error checking or testing yet
LoginServer.ini read.
MiniLoginAccounts.ini read.
Server mode: Standalone
Login server listening on port:5999

no errors so far... haven't tried to log in, I am running this on my laptop at work, I'll see if I can login when I get home.

*update*

connecting to the port seems to work fine, this of course doesn't mean that EQ will actually work, but it is promising :)

flipper
11-05-2002, 09:33 AM
That's encouraging news. I will have to give it a whirl tonight.

flipper
11-06-2002, 06:58 PM
I got around to testing it, but was unable to login. Here is what I get...

eqemu # winex MiniLogin.exe
LoginServer.ini read.
MiniLoginAccounts.ini read.
Server mode: Standalone
Login server listening on port:5999
New TCP connection: 127.0.0.1:40601
87458 New client from ip: <my ip#> port: 1680
Client disconnected (eqnc->GetState()=102)

The "New TCP connection" came up when I ran the world server (as expected). When I tried to connect via my Windblows box I got the "New client from ip" dialogue. Unfortunately it was immediately followed by the above error. I don't understand what that error message means. Anyone have a clue?

zORN
11-20-2002, 07:58 PM
yesterday is startet my eq emu testings :D ... and well ... everything runs fine... i used the windows minilogin server and startet it up with winex ... then i used the world and zone stuff... and after that ... i connected to my server with the everquest client (also winex) ... runs sweet ... :D

... i compiled the eq emu source on a gcc 2.x box and copied the bins over to my gentoo box (gcc 3.x) ... and everything is still running :D

... well... but where is the "big" login server for linux? with the minilogin server only one user can use my server or? i need a "big" login server for my next lan-party ... where about 50 people wants to play everquest ... is it possible?

flipper
11-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Hmmm. Perhaps I need to try again. Last time I tried was back when I was having problems getting EQ to connect to any emu server. Now I connect to any server without incident. I'd be quite happy running the minilogin via winex. A native minilogin isn't going to happen soon because the devs dont want the source for that getting out.

Elrach
04-19-2003, 04:43 AM
More and more I get into the EQEmu world; i'm realizing that development seems to be done mostly on Win32 now :p

Anyhow, I'm not looking to argue, to each our own :)

Ok, is there any possibility for the minilogin code to be released? I'd like to port it to linux where I'm gonna be running my server. For development, I'd much rather be able to have a local running engine that doesn't show up on the main server list till it's ready.

From what I've read here, seems the development team is keeping the code pretty close to their hearts for whatever reason. (Not my place to say it's right or wrong). Anyhow, would be nice to have a minilogin that doesn't have to run through wine (trying to not waste too much resources). There are so many benefits to running a linux server, I'm sure you're all aware. I'm a console type of guy..what can i say? :D

Can't wait to have all these issues resolved so I can start doing the real work...