PDA

View Full Version : Why do I post that I hate Windows XP?

Kolo
09-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Ok, off topic, flame retardant suit is on.

Why Windows XP and Microsoft will be the end of the world....

One word : Wizards

Everyone asks me why I will not use Windows XP. They say, "It's so easy to use" What do I reply? "I just don't like it." Why?

Have you ever stopped to think about this. With an operating system that is incredibly easy to use, do you actually know how to use it? With all the quick and dirty features of XP and all the auto-configuration it uses, how many people actually know what it's doing? I can tell you for certain that only a select few people can, or will be able to, and most work for Microsoft. If you stop to think about the monopoly they have, they are only re-enforcing it by putting out OS's that do everything for the user. One day Microsoft will come out with the "Next OS". This OS will cost an arm and a leg, and everyone will buy it.

Why? "Because the other operating systems are just too confusing." Why do you say they are confusing? "Because you have to know what settings are needed for ...."

Stop and think about this when you tell your next employer that you know how to use your computer at home. Do you actually know what it does?

On that note, think of programmers. They write applications for an operating system using applications written by the person that wrote the operating system. When this company decides to make the OS "stupid" and the next batch of kids coming out of school that grew up on the "easy to use" operating system, what kind of learning curve will they have? They won't have alot of learning to do...come on, "Microsoft provides us with all the code samples we need to make Project X. Why should we learn how the computer handles this information? Microsoft gives us an easier way to do it." "Well, we are a start-up company that wants to make an operating system to compete, and we need people that can create system control code." "Oh, well, I'm sure we could learn. If everything went perfectly it would only take like six months." (ooc: every scripter/programmer knows you are going to take at least 3 times as much time as you originally state, and usually that's not enough time.) "Oh, we are on a tight budget here, we don't have alot of time and money, our investors want results."

I'm gonna stop now...I hate where this is going. Just put this thought in your head too, a local big name technical college just recently started supplying a full suite of programming tools to the students really cheap. (I mean, like $45, for the entire visual studio) This was done under the condition that that school remove averything concerning Macromedia from their PC's. This isnt Microsoft using their market share to further enforce the monopoly they will hold?

:edit forgot to capitalize Macromedia...Sorry

Trumpcard
09-30-2002, 12:40 AM
Imagine how we felt 12 years ago when we thought the old crappy MacOS was going to be the OS of the future...

<shiver>

Hardy
09-30-2002, 12:42 PM
You did leave out one thing though. Windows XP has so many bugs in it atm, they are coming out with a 2nd edition of it. They are making the owners of Windows XP buy the update. Which is really stupid, they fucked up on it, they should provide the update. Unless they put all the bugs in XP on purpose so they could come out with a 2nd edition so they have a higher income. I dunno, Bill Gates is just to damn greedy. I am just hoping that one day, someone will make Bill Gates go out of business, his software is good, but it could be better on some occasions

Arcalyn
09-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Kolo --- Good point on most people don't know jack about their OSes, hehe, its how I make a living!
RTFM ----> XP doesn't come with one! ROFL you gotta buy the manual seperately! Woohoo! Rake'n in the cash.

I love XP and MS

But do I have a "life" on my computer? HELL NO

The computer gets NO personal information from me its a 'tool'

Like the lawn mower.

So just as long as MS doesn't make an OS that'll blow up my system then I'll use it.

I still buy/obtain ALL new releases of linux/novell I can, just to have them.

Its the tards that start putting bank account PWs into there system that usually start whinning first.....waaawaaa....someone got all my JIT.....DAH. Soon as you plug your computer into the wall (56k,DSL,Cable) you are giving people permission to access your information! And so you PAY them(ISPs,Globel Phone Companies,Major Cable Access Providers) to NOT view or reveal that information to others.

Funny finishing note:

Some people know more about a computer software than they do the LAWs which govern them(US Code).

And some wonder why people steal or rape? DAH
Who ever showed you the law that said it was illegal AND then showed you the punishment you could be given if you still choose to comment the crime? NO ONE
Most of the 'BAD' things people know NOT to do has been passed down by parents or friends......"Dude, put that back we'll get in trouble." -----> trouble? isn't that like when you have a cookie before bedtime when your mom said you couldn't?
Big difference between mom not letting you play EQ for a week and going to prison for a Felony.
But lets not educate people on how they can destroy there lives this planet is over-populated anyways.
Last thingy....good example too.
When you were 15/16 and got your first REAL job where you filed out a W-2 form.........did you know what ANY of it meant?
Fuck no, you didn't.....well ya might have been smart enough to fill in your name and address but thats about it. And who did you ask for help with filling out your first one? A laywer? An accountant? A moderately compensated professional? Fuck no, it was the moron who couldn't get a job that required any intellectual abilities what-so-ever. You think that person knew anything about you or how you should fill out that form? Hell no, they get 10-15 bucks an hour and probably worked 60+ hours a week they have NO time for educating themselves. Yet like sheep to the slaughter house we all marched in to the butcher.
She-aught, I know a temp at work who is -< 21 >- YEARS old and her Dad still does her taxes, she didn't even know how to fill out a W-2! at 21 years old??? OMFG, its too late to learn now she's been considered an adult by the USC for 3 years now, if she fills out her w-2 incorrectly she could be charged with a FELONY! Jail-time and have her assests conficated!

RTFM ----> Title 26 of the USC

Windcatcher
10-01-2002, 12:51 AM
My new laptop came with XP Home. The darn wizards kept getting in my way. I put up with it for three days before making a decision: either the OS has got to go, or the laptop has got to go, so I wiped the HD clean and put Win2k on it. I refuse to use XP.

The dumbed-down-ness of XP and the WPA crap have driven me to a decision: Win2k is the LAST MS OS that I'll use. I specifically bought the laptop so I could dedicate my older laptop to Linux, for the purpose of learning to use it. I bought Lycoris Desktop/LX and Crossover Office. I can run MS Office, Visio, and about a third of my Windows applications on the Linux box, and from what I've seen, within the next twelve months I anticipate that that fraction will climb tremendously.

Is Lycoris XP? No, and I don't want it that way. That's not to say it isn't easy to use. I tried Mandrake before, and Lycoris beats it silly in that department. I'm not a Windows newbie, and I neither need nor want all those wizards. If I wish I can use KDE3 to make the look and feel 95% the same as XP, which I don't want to do anyway (I use the Liquid theme instead, which looks more like OS-X). In that sense Linux is infinitely more customizable. There was a learning curve, to be sure, but once I got the hang of file ownership and learning where confguration stuff lives it got a lot easier.

Kolo
10-01-2002, 07:24 AM
I feel the same way you do about 2K being the last for a while for me as well Windcatcher. Everyone tells me it doesnt run games/etc...but I haven't noticed a problem with it. I also run a RH 7.2 Linux server using Gnome as my Desktop and it works just fine for me after the learning curve granted from switching from DOS to Unix platforms.

Unfortunately, the way of the world is the easiest possible way will almost always win :( Most people by a computer like they do a refrigerator or microwave, if it's the right color, crushes ice, and has a "easy minute" button, they are happy.

steihl
10-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Although I totally agree with everyones' sentiment on MS, and personally on XP, I've had only ONE problem with xp. I use XP professional, I've never had a stop screen, I've never even seen a configuration wizard save for during setup and right afterwards, and I have seen no major upsetting defects with the operating system. I've ran Linux releases, some novell, and other MS operating systems, and I must say, that I've found XP the simplest for me to use. It allows me to do everything I need to do, I -run- the operating system, it doesn't run me. Windows NT was great, save for lack of modern hardware support. 2k was great, but for somereason, it didn't much like my PCI IDE controllers, and my SCSI RAID controllers... I was running win2k Advanced Server, and had SOOO many problems; albeit, it was from registry tweaking and overclocking, I don't have those problems in XP. XP's graphically slower with all its' enchancements, sometimes I have to wait 10 seconds for a program to open when I'm running alot of bandwidth intensive applications, but the only true problem I have is my second NIC. Although I've downloaded the latest drivers for my second NIC, that are supported by windows XP, XP will not recognize ANY drivers as being for the hardware. -shrugs- Thats' the only problem I've ever had with xp.

Symarra
10-02-2002, 07:26 AM
I also run a RH 7.2 Linux server using *Gnome as my Desktop*

Why do you run a desktop? oh for ease of use
DAAAAH, thats exactly how windows got started, so you are a hypocrit

Unfortunately, the way of the world is the easiest possible way will almost always win

Thats called intelligence. Do you WALK to work everyday? No you drive or bike, because its easier!

Kolo
10-02-2002, 06:01 PM
You know why I use gnome....for the internet, that's about it. Everything else I do in shell because quite frankly I find it easier to get the settings I want.

And I never said I walk to work because it's hard. That sentence was taken out of context by someone looking for a deeper meaning to it than was originally intended. I was simply stating the way of the world, and it's faults. Our faults bring along a whole new variety though. If everyone knew how to fix refrigerators...or cars at that matter, we wouldnt need mechanics. I was pointing to the fact that Microsoft will be the keyholders to that technology. There isnt only one car manufacturer, and most cars run pretty much the same. Microsoft is hell bent (copyright laws, etc) on making there way the only way. That's what I have a problem with.

Feel free to tear that apart....weren't you banned once?