PDA

View Full Version : Can the Internet Stunt Your Social Growth?!?

Nira
10-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey all, recently in my Sociology class we read an article about this question. Im going to type it all out by hand and let you guys discuss what you think about this.

Many sociologists today are concerned about how the increased use of computers and the Internet might affect young people. They wonder if this will be the first generation of children to grow up lacking adaquate social skills.

Traditional games--sandlot ball games, for example--are socially oriented. These games require interaction and negotiation with other people, encourage sensitivity to others' viewpoints, help establish mutual understanding, and increase cooperative behavior (Casbergue and Kieff, 1998). These social skills are not developed by children who spend a great deal of time in isolated computer activites.

One researcher, Sherry Turkle, claims that the social isolation brought about by heavy use of the Internet leads to destruction of meangingful social contact (Katz and Aspden, 1997). Similarly, Cliff Stoll (1995) says that excessive Internet activity lowers people's commitment to real friendships.

Perhaps you have read stories in the news about children who arranged to meet adults through the Internet. These stories often suggest that it was possible to lure these children to these meetings because they did not have the social skills and experience needed to make sound judgement about their actions.

According to an important nationwide study, the Internet is promoting social isolation (Nie and Erbring, 2000). As people spend more time on the Internet (55 percent of Americans have access), they experience less meaningful social contact. Impersonal electronic relationships are replacing face-to-face interaction with family and friends. According to the author of this study, political scientist Norman Nie, "When you spend time on the Internet, you don't hear a human voice and you never get a hug."

Another concern is that extensive video game use will shorten the natural attention span of children. This could cause them to grow up requiring a continous flow of outside stimulation which interferes with normal social interaction ("Lego: Fighting the Video Monsters." 1999).

Defenders of computers and the Internet point to a survey (based on 2,500 Americans) that showed Internet users were just as likely as non-Internet users to join religious, leisure, or community groups (Latz and Aspden, 1997). The survey results, according to these observers, indictate that Internet users are just as socially active as other people.

Critics of this survey point out that the researchers failed to ask some important questions. They did not distinguish between heavy users of the Internet and more moderate users. Also, those surveyed were adults who had already gone through the early years of socialization. There will have to be more research before we understand the effects of the new technologies on children's social growth.

What is your position in the debate about whether heavy internet use stunts social skills? Give some reasons for your answers.

From: Sociology And You Copyright 2001 NTC/Contemporary Publishing Group, Inc.

Just have fun with this guys!

TetsuoAkira
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
I disagree, video games encourage social interaction... Well not ENCOURAGE it, but it helps people out... Lets say you can't ask someone something in real life, but you can on the internet easier, and it just makes talking to a person THAT much easier.

And about video games - Their training kids to be super soldiers :p

Nira
10-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Dont take this reply as a flame or that I am trying to prove you wrong. I want to state something that my class said.

Lets say you can't ask someone something in real life, but you can on the internet easier, and it just makes talking to a person THAT much easier.

Your saying it is easier to ask someone something because your real identity is hidden, you are behind a screen away from someone. Along the same lines, you are uncomfortable with physical interacting with people so you therefore do it virtually. That the jist of your post?

Again don't take this post as me trying to prove you wrong. I just want people to defend there views :)

TetsuoAkira
10-05-2002, 03:52 PM
This is just coming from my experience but I once had to tell someone something VERY embaressing that if they laughed at, it'd be pretty bad... So I told them online to see first and it just helped our friendship that much more..... Theres a good/bad thing with everything, and thats same for the internet

Nira
10-06-2002, 12:33 AM
Great example, Thanks!

Trumpcard
10-06-2002, 01:02 AM
I think the internet allows us to be socially lazy, but doesnt stunt our growths. Computers are causing an increase in the average person's 'comfort zone'. Do I go out less because of the internet, probably yes, am I socially inept as a result, not at all. I meet alot more people of varying backgrounds because of the internet. People you wouldn't normally interact with for iinstance. I think the internet has the potential of breaking down alot of geographic borders and fostering a better sense of understanding between people of different colors, races, religions, etc, you dont see that on the internet.

It's a trade off of course, but there are plenty of positive social aspects to it. People are alot more likely to be rude or cruel on the internet. I am a very polite person by nature, but I even have the tendancy to hammer people from time to time on the net.... I do believe it desensitizes us to other peoples feelings or emotions, we dont always see them as human beings with emotions, just electronic identities. Thats another big difference, how close people with pure eletronic conversations become.. This community for instance, how much do any of us really know about one other, families, friends, hobbies, favorite foods, etc? Ive been involved in this project for 10 months or so, and I know really very little about most everyone here. Its just a nature of the game for the most part..

Avengelique
10-09-2002, 07:45 AM
I can't say too much about social skills. I didn't come "online" until I was 21 and back then the internet was a much smaller place than it is now. I found that being on the internet at those times allowed me to actually grow my interpersonal skills. I was a pretty shy and boring person before I got my first modem. Quite a change from what I am today. These days however there are millions of people online at ANY given time. And with children in particular, the internet can be an emotionally and sometimes physically dangerous place. It' so much easier to "be yourself" and there are fewer means to know if someone is decieving you online. it can be very easy for people to manipulate or in some instances pervert a young person's forming sense of morality and proper social behavior.

As for videogames destroying attention span, I am living proof of it. In high school (at a time when ultima 6 was the most advanced game around) reading was my greatest hobby. It was nothing for me to sit down in one place for 4 hours or more at a time enjoying a book. and I did read about a book a day pretty consistantly all through highschool. In the years since I have spent more and more time playing increasingly advanced and realistic games. Now if I sit down to read a book I'm lucky if I can get through the first couple of pages without getting ansy. I don't know if it's reduced attention span but often I feel like if I"m not doing 2 or 3 things at once (which is pretty common to have to do todays computer or console games) then I get bored or feel like I"m not doing enough. I can see how this phenomenon would have an even greater impact on a younger child