PDA

View Full Version : Game Loader - I hope this is the right area to post this; so

Zafar
10-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Hi, everyone.

I hope that this is in the right area; don't want to get in to any trouble for my first message here. But I figured that since it is, to at least provide the community here with something that I feel, will be a good contribution to everyone. I cannot guarantee I will be able to offer support for it, but feel free to ask and I shall try to help unless others are willing.

I was reading through the forums here and came across this thread:

http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3070

image had passed a comment about, "Who's Washer?", and does have a very valid point there. The program that I wrote I feel will help others out in some form; or at least, make things easier.

I released the source code to it for people to review and compile when the feel comfortable with it. I also made a compiled copy of the program also, so both are available for download.

The Setup program was used using InnoSetup 3.0.2-beta with ISX 3.0.2-beta. The software was written using Visual Studio .NET with Visual C++ 7.0 on a Pentium II based machine. The installer software can be found at http://www.jrsoftware.org/ or http://www.innosetup.com/

Purpose of Software:
The purpose of the program is to allow you to do one of two things. First, to allow you to execute EverQuest without having to go through the auto-update process, so any files that have been modified by you -- won't be changed and therefore, you can use the full EverQuest client itself. Secondly, you can also execute the EverQuest client like previously, to automatically update the full client as it normally would. The third option, is self explanitory. To close the software. :-)

Installation Notes:
You are required to install this software in your EverQuest directory or if you use the Source Code version, to copy the files to your EverQuest directory.

The typical default directories are usually C:\Program Files\EverQuest or C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest Trilogy

The installer (as mentioned above) is free, which is one of the reasons why I use it frequently. But apparently, it seems to have a bug (not by me), that does not properly setup the icons that it creates on the program menu or desktop. You will have to modify the properties of each icon linked to the EQLoad.exe application.

To do this, you must:
1. Right click on the EverQuest(tm) Game Loader.
2. Select Properties.
3. Look for Start In:
4. Enter "C:\(directory to everquest)"

So it should resemble this in some sense:

Start In: "C:\Program Files\EverQuest"

I will make a new release of this program in the next two weeks, and that will include a different installer -- in the mean time, I must apologize for this minor issue.

Note: I also am aware that the "WinExec" function is not a wise function to use; but seeing as the other commands I knew, were giving me some trouble (I'm used to Visual C++ 4.0 and 6.0), I had to use this function temporarily.

Download Link & Information:
http://www.100free.com/zafar/

curtdept
10-14-2002, 04:31 PM
If you are using .Net just add the .NET Framework "Process" component. You can then set it properties, stuff like working directory and executable location, and execute the program from an object such as a button using <Processcontrolname>.Start(); Then you wont need all this thrid party software. PatchMe launcher from start to finish in C# is 1 line of code, 4.5 kb, and 2 minutes ;p As for touching base with installers. Being that the .NET Framework is the "end of DLL hell." Unless you use some hemped up third party libraries, DLL, or external applications you can just distribute the executable and tell them to grab the Framework off of WindowsUpdate, if they dont already have it.

To extend this you could do a compare of the EQHost and replace it for either EQEmu or EQLive upon launch, using an object like radio buttons. Store the working directory path in an ini or XML and hardcode a keep alive in a relatively short period of time ;p Could even take it that much farther and add things like an autoupdate for it. All depends how far you want it to go :) Just some ideas.

WinExec is somewhat legacy now as well. They currently recommend and most major institutions tend to teach CreateProcess in VC6+ for the degree of control it offers.
-Curtis

Zafar
10-15-2002, 04:46 AM
Yes, was using Visual Studio .NET to compile it and all, as I went from Visual C++ 4.00 to 6.00, then to .NET over time. The code was initially written under Visual C++ 6.00; and the .NET took care of the code ugprades.

I know the WinExec function is rather old, but I did not remember how to use the CreateProcess and previously, used I believe ShellExec -- another old one. Seeing how WinExec did it's job, it shouldn't really pose any problem.

I have a few ideas that I wanted to experiment with, but my programming skills are not up to par -- like they use to be, and not saying I am a professional programmer either. Just had some good points and some bad points; but don't everyone? :)

If you are using .Net just add the .NET Framework "Process" component. You can then set it properties, stuff like working directory and executable location, and execute the program from an object such as a button using <Processcontrolname>.Start(); Then you wont need all this thrid party software. PatchMe launcher from start to finish in C# is 1 line of code, 4.5 kb, and 2 minutes ;p As for touching base with installers. Being that the .NET Framework is the "end of DLL hell." Unless you use some hemped up third party libraries, DLL, or external applications you can just distribute the executable and tell them to grab the Framework off of WindowsUpdate, if they dont already have it.

To extend this you could do a compare of the EQHost and replace it for either EQEmu or EQLive upon launch, using an object like radio buttons. Store the working directory path in an ini or XML and hardcode a keep alive in a relatively short period of time ;p Could even take it that much farther and add things like an autoupdate for it. All depends how far you want it to go :) Just some ideas.

WinExec is somewhat legacy now as well. They currently recommend and most major institutions tend to teach CreateProcess in VC6+ for the degree of control it offers.
-Curtis

Lurker_005
10-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Havn't tried it, since I don't have a need, but...

While I encourage you to make tools ect for the emu, how is this any different from what EQW can do, except I guess not in a window? Adding an eqhost.txt manager (and license.txt, I remove all the text from mine) would be something good, make it get eqhost.txt from the eqemu.net site

Zafar
10-15-2002, 10:47 AM
The reason why I wrote this program was, to avoid having to manually go to DOS and change directories then execute
"eqgame patchme" over and over, specially if the game should crash.

I know that you can create a link to the program directly, or create a small batch file -- but to exercise programming skills, or
to maybe help others just learning; the code was released.

Additionally, EQW tends to run slower whether in a single window or multiple windows -- and for people who rather use the original default client, this could be helpful. Some things that I already had planned out, but didn't implement yet were, to ship a default eqhost.txt file, and another file to use the original default hosts from the main servers. So, it would lessen any chance of them wondering, "Hmmm, why are they downloading eqhost.txt almost every day, etc.." Which can be easily avoided as well.

Personally, I run more than one machine here so using the original client instead of EQW is fine for me. I used EQW before, and I only enjoyed it when I wanted to sit by one machine all the time.

Havn't tried it, since I don't have a need, but...

While I encourage you to make tools ect for the emu, how is this any different from what EQW can do, except I guess not in a window? Adding an eqhost.txt manager (and license.txt, I remove all the text from mine) would be something good, make it get eqhost.txt from the eqemu.net site