PDA

View Full Version : New tool addon/proposal

GeorgeS
11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
So I was thinking to build a tool to edit factions. I could add this onto the npc editor or work fom a standalone.

What sort of stuff/features would you feel useful?

Editing faction lists, editing toon factions?
and NPC factions?

GeorgeS

trevius
11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, there isn't really a ton of stuff to factions. I think the main thing would just be to have a tool that ties the multiple tables together to create a new faction. Maybe also have it list factions (with names) by zone so you can use the other factions of the zone to adjust how each reacts to each other. It would be nice to list off the ranges for each faction level in it for reference when creating them. Also it would be nice if the tool had information that explained how the assist stuff works so you know if the NPC will assist or attack or is neutral to other factions.

There are also a couple of other faction related things I can think of that you may be able to tie in somehow. One is that items can now have faction mods on them, but I am not exactly sure how that would tie in other than maybe listing all items associated with whatever faction is currently being worked on.

Another new feature is that faction can affect what a merchant will sell to you, so maybe you could tie that into your merchant editor.

ChaosSlayerZ
11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I would suggest NOT to combine it with merchant editor - its always too slow to initialize each time you open it up, so having it run just to work with factions will be a major pain.

ALSO, I am still concerned that faction system in Emu code is bugged. I can't exactly track down the source/causes, but when adding up/editing faction I occasionally end up with issues, where a mob/npc in questions cons PROPERLY in accordance to current faction, yet does not give faction adjacent on kill. I have been at it for a while, and pretty sure its not something I am doing wrong.

My best guess that faction system bug somehow relates to position ordering of faction entries in one the faction table, as well HOW MANY different faction are set to interact with each other. There is either, some sort of max limit in the source code I am not aware of, it simply stops working after certain number of interconnected factions have been created.

To give you an example: I have a certain Guard faction. This faction is set to agro on number of other factions. So say I add about 5 factions for the guards to agro on - all works well. Then I add a 6th faction - it works, but then 1st faction in the list stops working. Or, some other faction elsewhere stops giving faction hits, etc etc etc...

I know, this is not a bug report thread, but I figured if tool is to created, you should be aware of this. ;)

PS. my original faction bug report here: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26360

wolfwalkereci
11-04-2011, 03:28 AM
I would like to see this as a stand alone tool and think its a great idea.

Scendera
11-05-2011, 01:48 PM
To give you an example: I have a certain Guard faction. This faction is set to agro on number of other factions. So say I add about 5 factions for the guards to agro on - all works well. Then I add a 6th faction - it works, but then 1st faction in the list stops working. Or, some other faction elsewhere stops giving faction hits, etc etc etc...

In that particular situation, there at least used to be a hard limit of 5 faction interactions per npc, on live.

The tool sounds like something that would come in handy.

LordAdakos
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
ive been trying to edit factions so that I can make a custom NPC fight another custom npc. it's been a headache, something like this would be wonderful