PDA

View Full Version : Loginserver Changes

Akkadius
10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Grats to Varlyndria on Green status.

Ozzudan
10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Now if only the three other servers who actually deserve green could get it instead of the one server that's pay to win...... sad day for EMU.

chrsschb
10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Now if only the three other servers who actually deserve green could get it instead of the one server that's pay to win...... sad day for EMU.

Strong first post. The door is that way ---->

Drakiyth
10-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Non Donators are more than capable of achieving almost every item on the server but it takes a bit more work than somebody who has helped with the financial stability of Varlyndria by donating. That's really fair when you think about it and your comment about "pay-to-win" is extremely unfair. Without help the server wouldn't exist. Do you expect to get on every server of emu and just play for free without ever lending a hand to the people who work hours to bring you the place? I've even donated to my fair share of emu servers over the years before I became a dev and actually had the time to play around. It's common courtesy and appreciation for the work that's put into it. Even with that said, players who don't donate can literally get all items on Varlyndria except 1 mythical item which is Tier 10 only. That's pretty fair! Now if donators were getting 100% of the best items and a non donator could never achieve anything close I could see you having some validity to your point but that's not the case.

Also, you probably played a long time ago before I did some major changes to the server which greatly helped new players, new drop zones for armor sets, new augment NPCs for low level progression, Bazaar gives plat for just being inside there every 5 minutes.. New players have it really good on Varlyndria now and progression is greatly improved for lower levels. Those older changes were simply growing pains and made the new player experience a lot rougher than I had wanted and overall was a rookie dev choice, but honestly I feel you're jumping the gun thinking I would shaft all new players so much over the course of Varlyndria's life.

With that said, I'm sorry you had an earlier (bad) experience and I welcome you back to try the new changes out.

c0ncrete
10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
win? who -ever- "wins" at everquest? what are we winning? who are we winning against? i must have missed seeing the "sour grapes" server the last time i was browsing the list. i'm not sure how i managed as it is apparently filled with players! i need glasses...

in all seriousness, if there's a server you think deserves green status, try getting off your can and making it meet the requirements instead of whining. if it's such a fantastic server, it shouldn't be all that difficult. all it takes is a good idea, some dedicated development, and advertisement. if the people who are actually playing on varlyndria had any issues, i'm sure we'd hear about it from more than just two lonely malcontents.

Caryatis
10-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Without help the server wouldn't exist.

That's the line that every server op uses to get donations and its total bullshit for 99% of servers. First off, the only servers that require a dedicated server are running 100's of people concurrently(PEQ, P1999, EZ) and secondly there are tons of free server hosts within this community, just ask.

The big line of bullshit is when people host the server out of their house and then claim to need donations to pay for upgraded residential service and all sorts of meaningless upgrades for their personal computer.

That said, if you run open ended donation systems, you are shady. Their is a finite amount of money needed to host a server and their is no reason to collect money for 5+ years of hosting(get the bills paid with a safe cushion, close it up, reopen when needed). Obviously that won't work when you build half your content around donation items but then its pretty clear whats going on with the money.

c0ncrete
10-29-2012, 10:16 PM
valid points, but they have no bearing on the server's status. the primary (implied) argument has been that it shouldn't be green because of the donation system. the guys who are complaining aren't making a stink about any non-green servers that accept donations, just the green ones.

Drakiyth
10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
That's the line that every server op uses to get donations and its total bullshit for 99% of servers. First off, the only servers that require a dedicated server are running 100's of people concurrently(PEQ, P1999, EZ) and secondly there are tons of free server hosts within this community, just ask.

The big line of bullshit is when people host the server out of their house and then claim to need donations to pay for upgraded residential service and all sorts of meaningless upgrades for their personal computer.

That said, if you run open ended donation systems, you are shady. Their is a finite amount of money needed to host a server and their is no reason to collect money for 5+ years of hosting(get the bills paid with a safe cushion, close it up, reopen when needed). Obviously that won't work when you build half your content around donation items but then its pretty clear whats going on with the money.

There is nothing Shady about any of this. If players want to help and donate they do if they don't they don't. I'm not selling anything on the server. I give gifts based on players reaching a certain tier. It's not like you can pick something out and purchase it out-right. Rewards are based on tier status of how much a player has donated. It's completely legit. In no time in Varlyndria's life has a player had the ability to pick out an Epic or a certain item from a list only and just buy it out-right. Donation packages are completely optional and are linear 1,2,3,4,5 etc but they even stack! You actually have the ability in Varlyndria to reach the highest tier just by donating a little every month. There is ZERO unfairness to the donation system. It's more fair than anything on EMU probably. Not saying THF or other servers are wrong for what they do, as I have personally donated to their cause myself when I was a player.

Caryatis
10-29-2012, 10:22 PM
True, having never played on Varlyndria, I can't comment on the quality.

On the other hand, the people donating to these servers obviously don't mind and its their money to spend(and lets be honest, if people want to give you money, it would be more foolish to not take it).

Ozzudan
10-30-2012, 04:12 PM
valid points, but they have no bearing on the server's status. the primary (implied) argument has been that it shouldn't be green because of the donation system. the guys who are complaining aren't making a stink about any non-green servers that accept donations, just the green ones.

Since when is the EMU project about making money or running a business? Was this the vision from the start? I highly doubt that. And no the donations have no bearing on the server status.... having it hosted and backed by Akka does but I digress. Accepting donations to cover server costs is one thing but this guy is running a business here and "I" do not like that. Its my opinion and if you can't see that for what it is then well I don't need to finish that statement. As far as the other servers that deserve green they have been covered over the last few months but they don't have someone of importance to back them so nothing has been done and before anyone starts no I am not talking about EQ Titan.

Anyway have a nice day.

Paladinsteve
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Maze_EQ, is that you hiding behind a fake account?

THF is pay to win .. its Gold, Does anyone care? I sure don't, people pay whatever they want whatever they think its worth.

I could say the same thing for EZ server, it's also gold.

See a trend here? Once again, I care less and i don't see how it effects anyone, people will play on servers they like, period. I would think like most people like myself, i server hop and random log into all kinds of server.

Is Varlyndria pay to win? Prob, but once again, it does not effect you. People will continue to pay whatever they think items are worth. Im sure they are getting less people to donate to just support the cause. Most people just want the items.

All im trying to say here there is OTHER POPULAR SERVERS THAT ARE ALSO PAY TO WIN IN SOME SENSE. THF is the worst of the bunch if you played there but thats their thing.

I'm getting tired of reading comments of who deserves what due to donations.
Especially consider if you don't even play there. Its the PLAYER'S CHOICE if they wish to play there it's the PLAYER's CHOICE if they donate. If you don't like something on a server, complain on their forums. If that don't work, leave -- its a game.

THE END.

opyrus
11-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I really wish people could stop worrying about everyone else putting there nose in everyone's business where it don't belong. If people are willing to pay they must be doing something right but its really none of anyone's business who spends there own money on something they want. I don't know what kind of world people live in where they don't work hard for there money and they can't decide what they want to spend it on. Seriously people need to find something better to do with there free time because they must have a lot of it to sit around telling people what they can and cant do or spend there own hard earned money on.

Maze_EQ
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Hilarity you calling me out as if I'm hiding under a false account.

You should probably stop making servers bro, your last one stayed around for a whole month.

Kudos to you.

have fun, learn how to investigate.

Paladinsteve
11-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Hilarity you calling me out as if I'm hiding under a false account.

It only took you over a week to reply to this.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/obama_applause.gif

Caryatis
11-11-2012, 12:07 AM
It only took you over a week to reply to this.

SICK BURN DUDE!!

c0ncrete
11-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Since when is the EMU project about making money or running a business? Was this the vision from the start? I highly doubt that. And no the donations have no bearing on the server status.... having it hosted and backed by Akka does but I digress. Accepting donations to cover server costs is one thing but this guy is running a business here and "I" do not like that. Its my opinion and if you can't see that for what it is then well I don't need to finish that statement. As far as the other servers that deserve green they have been covered over the last few months but they don't have someone of importance to back them so nothing has been done and before anyone starts no I am not talking about EQ Titan.

Anyway have a nice day.

my opinion that you (and anyone else complaining about the status change of a server that you likely don't even play on) take yourself entirely too seriously is of no less importance than your opinion. if you can't see that for what it is, then you're as much of a hypocrite as you are a crybaby.

as for "the vision"... you've made a total of two posts, and both have been in this thread. so let's not pretend you've got a lot invested in anything other than your ego, shall we?

Maze_EQ
11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Oh wow, over a week?

Possibly because people have other things to do than troll forums 24/7 trying to come up with slick comebacks?

Get a fucking life kid.

While you're at it, find something productive to do with your spare time.

I happened to come across this post because I just opened my laptop and hit refresh.

Shows you how pro I am.

I'll let Caryatis take the lead on this one, he'll be sure to rip you a new anal cavity.

Kkthxbai.

Protip-Romney was the better choice..

Paladinsteve
11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh wow, over a week?

Possibly because people have other things to do than troll forums 24/7 trying to come up with slick comebacks?

Get a fucking life kid.

While you're at it, find something productive to do with your spare time.

I happened to come across this post because I just opened my laptop and hit refresh.

Shows you how pro I am.

I'll let Caryatis take the lead on this one, he'll be sure to rip you a new anal cavity.

Kkthxbai.

I don't think I will see someone rage so hard for a server going green ever again. Lol

And why would Carystis have anything to say about this? He is not the one in a full force rage over the subject. Just seems to be you. Sure he is a troll but my concern was not with him, just you.

Out of anyone else, if you had your way Varylndria would never see the light of day the way you seem to speak of it. It's shit like this that pisses me off, yet you continue to rage. And it just baffels me to no end.

Care less about other server's and more about your own.

trevius
11-12-2012, 04:25 AM
That's enough please. Any more drama in this thread and it will be locked and temp bans may need to go out, since this is an official warning on the subject.

Responses and discussions are fine as long as they can stay civil.

I don't doubt that there are other servers out there that could use Green status. Any server that can maintain a decent player-base and remains up with active devs for a few months should certainly be considered for it. Rogean handles the actual changes for status like that, and he normally runs them by the devs to see if they get yays or nays for the new status. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen.

Of course, there are certain things that will prevent servers from making it on the green or gold lists. This is mostly only for servers doing things that are frowned on by other server owners and devs, such as servers that try to make copies of another server without the owners permission. It wasn't long ago that people were trying to make copies of EZ server by using the Extractor to collect all spawns and such to make an exact copy. We won't stop a server from doing that type of thing, but we don't have to support it and give them raised status and such.

Ozzudan
11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I was long done with this anyway Trev and all I did was state my opinion I was never uncivil. Would have been nice to get some kind of relevant response as to whether or not the EMU is for profit or not cause from what I am seeing from the responses to what I said it would be a resounding yes. Anyway I'm done and back to just lurking like I have been since 08.

trevius
11-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I was long done with this anyway Trev and all I did was state my opinion I was never uncivil. Would have been nice to get some kind of relevant response as to whether or not the EMU is for profit or not cause from what I am seeing from the responses to what I said it would be a resounding yes. Anyway I'm done and back to just lurking like I have been since 08.

I wasn't really referring to your posts, it was the others that were starting to get nasty with each other. Though, your first post was a bit of a shot at a server, that as far as I know does not deserve it. Flaming servers is against the forum rules, mainly to reduce drama. See rule 6:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28924

Not a big deal since it didn't get too carried away.

EQEmu is not for profit as you suggest. Individual servers are able to do just about whatever they like, though. Their actions may or may not effect their status in the server list.

I believe that Rogean is the only person setup to get donations directly made to EQEmu and considering that he hosts the website and Login server for our whole community, I don't have a problem with that. I don't know how much he gets donations directly for EQEmu or how often, but I would guess it probably isn't much and may not even fully cover the costs for our hosting (since we are on some pretty badass hardware and network connection).

Most of the other devs for EQEmu don't see any money from it at all. I was probably one of the few, but that is because I have ran my own server for years and had some very basic packages for it that went to costs for the server (upgrades, upgraded ISP connection, electricity 24X7, etc). It wasn't much.

Most of the servers that actually make decent money such as (and I am speculating here) EZ and THF, are not directly affiliated with EQEmu. They don't have people from their teams on the EQEmu staff and to my knowledge they are not paying anything back to EQEmu to get any special treatment. Those 2 examples are just servers that are heavily populated and have earned the gold status by meeting the criteria. I have been on the EQEmu team for years and my server was one of the top custom servers at one point, but it was never a gold status. That should speak to the fact that we try to remain fair and unbiased when making decisions to change server status and such.

As for Varlyndria getting green status, I believe that was decided because they have a higher population than most of the white servers (check player averages on the server list). If there are other servers that you think should be considered and they meet the basic criteria for it, then feel free to make the suggestion to get their status changed. Unless their is some specific reason not to give a server status, I am generally a yes vote if one is brought up.

Keep in mind that Rogean isn't always actively looking for servers that might deserve a status change. He mostly relies on others to recognize that a server deserves to be considered for a status change and then will bring it to a vote from the team.

That being said, here are the general guidelines we try to go by for choosing when a server should get a status change:

Green Status:
1. Server has been up for at least 3 months straight.
2. Server has 95% or greater uptime.
3. Server has ~50+ players on at peak daily and maybe ~25+ average for Green status.
4. Server is in good standing in the community and with the EQEmu team.

Gold Status:
1. Server has been up for at least 6 months straight.
2. Server has 99% or greater uptime.
3. Server has ~150+ players on at peak daily and maybe ~75+ average for Green status.
4. Server is in good standing in the community and with the EQEmu team.

These are not hard set rules, but are just the general idea of what we try to go by for server status change candidates. So, please don't rage if some server does or does not meet these requirements and has a status other than what would be mandated by these guidelines.

DexxMexx
11-21-2012, 07:01 AM

Actually Gary Johnson would of been a better choice