PDA

View Full Version : gcc 3.2 the right way?

Telmo
11-05-2002, 04:45 AM
so far, as I understand nobody has been able to compile eqemu in gcc 3.2, instead of posting links to how to compile a different gcc version to make eqemu work, I think we should try to find someone that could actually patch the code to compile in gcc 3.2. This is IMHO the best aproach for both eqemu coders and users. Because when you are running RedHat 25 or Gentoo 5000 with gcc 78.3 you don't want to have to compile gcc 3.1 to run eqemu.

I am not a C++ coder, if it were C I could probably figure out the problem and how to fix it, but I find really difficult to believe that the fix to the problem is a difficult one, mainly because GNU always try to make its code as compatible as posible.

just my 2 cents

Trumpcard
11-05-2002, 05:05 AM
Yep, thats what we are trying to do...

I havent been able to find any information on porting from gcc 2.95.x to 3.2, they changed the ABI drasticlly enough to cause a slew of template instatiation errors. I dont do professional C++ development anymore, mostly JAVA, so i'm not the best person to ask. We're looking into trying to figure out how to port the code over, but are you suggesting we shouldnt try to find a way to keep our servers up and compiling until we are able to modify the code for the new gcc version?

I agree porting code is the right solution, but there are two types of problem resolutions, short term fixes and long term solutions. Porting is a long term solution.