PDA

View Full Version : Implement the /bug feature

Bardboy
11-20-2002, 05:16 AM
Allows a player to submit a bug report directly to a text file on the server. include the players name, time, date and anything else usefull, along with the description of the bug.

neotokyo
11-20-2002, 05:31 AM
with decentralized servers not really a good idea ...

keep posting them into the boards, mkay?

or use the bugzilla feature on the homepage ...

Bardboy
11-20-2002, 05:49 AM
Would it be good for that particular server admin? Perhaps they are working on a specific problem and have compiled a different version than the release. (http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4216)
In that circumstance, might it be less confusing and helpfull in troubleshooting?

Just a thought.

alkrun
11-20-2002, 07:05 PM
How about having the bug / feedback reports sent up through the world server to the login server? Tag them with the version of the zone, world, login servers and log them to the database. Maybe give an option in the ini file to log to the world server's database or the login server's database?

Trumpcard
11-20-2002, 11:24 PM
I would think /bug could write an entry to a local databases table, and to the central database (a table offf the acccount tables), then Hogie, master of php could write an interface off the homepage to view them. It would definitely be a much better method as everyone could use it in game and it would end up in a single place.

What would be a secure method of writing too that database from the client end? It would need to be a seperate table, using a mysql user that only had access to the single table.

Bardboy
11-21-2002, 02:28 AM
I'm no expert but, I thought a text file would be fairly secure. You could format it so it could be imported easily and there is little, if no risk, of malicious code in a plain text file. I don't think it needs to be encrypted either. If it is stored on the local server it's even better in my opinion, as the information gathered is specific to that server and the server admin can take steps to correct any bugs that may only be present on that system. Any bug information specific to the current release being run on that server can be forwarded on to a central database later.