PDA

View Full Version : Feature Requests

Solaris
12-26-2002, 04:34 PM
First I would like to congratulate all that have played an important role in the development of the emulator and it's related programs. All of you have done a truly wonderfull job. (These requests are mostly directed at EQEMU and the EQADMIN tool.)

As many of us know it is always better to have many ppl working on a project rather than a single person. From what I have gathered EQAdmin is a single person project and does not move as fast as the development of the emulator. The admin tool is invaluable to us in tailoring EQEMU and should progress in development right beside the emulator. Aside from being only updated to be compatible with newer releases of the emulator, EQADMIN has had very little advancement. The admin tool is a great piece of hard work but it could be a lot better. Take a look at the NWN Toolset. It is by far the best editor of it's kind. Its simple, requires litte reference of documentation and it has control over nearly every aspect of the game Neverwinter Nights. This is what EQAMDIN should be, or close to it.

Features that would make EQEMU and EQADMIN better and more fun to use:

1. Documentation is horrible and nearly non existant. (EQADMIN)
2. Integrated Spell Editor.
3. Integrated NPC Editor (stats, inventory control, etc.)
4. DB/Game update on the fly while running EQEMU/EQADMIN.

Keep in mind that most of these are only possible when both sides of the developers work together.

tamarae
12-27-2002, 03:48 AM
Keep in mind the developers at Bioware are paid lots of money to create the NWN toolset, not to mention there was more than one person that created that toolset I'm sure.

Kaiyodo and Windcatcher arent paid in anything but our gratitude from my understanding. I think they've done great so far, especially for having real lives to contend with as well.

As for the db being updated on the fly, this has been discussed - but from what I remember and the way EQ works, it only reads the db items at a certain time, such as during zone boot up, so on the fly concurrent changes would be very hard to do perhaps without a recreated client as well as restructuring the emulator completely in a way that would not be nearly as memory efficient. if you rewrite the client, you're essentially making a new game, no?

You could always learn sql editing and edit your database by hand, at least you know the 'tool of the trade' would not expire with version changes. :)