PDA

View Full Version : New Linux user!!!!!

IMPOSTER
01-09-2003, 05:00 PM
hello, lol im a new linux user and it seems that you guys/gurls are experinced with this and iwas hopeing that you could teach me how to use this site and how to use linux lol im not SMART with any of this stuff jsut starting off out of no where i want to learn this REALLY REALLY bad in school right now im learning HTML, wondering if this is anything alike? but i bought a book off of Amazon about linux hope it will help me it said it was the best beginner book but if anyone has any INFO or anything to tell me about this then please send me something PLEASE tell me how to use all this stuff here to! thanks alot :D :) :P

neotokyo
01-10-2003, 02:06 AM
lol

i know this is the linux support forum, but we actually restrict it to issues with compiling eqemu and such. so if you need help with your linux installation ... why not go to www.google.com?

/sigh

IMPOSTER
01-10-2003, 06:02 AM
sorry, but yeah i didnt mean it like that i dont even know where to start i havent even started it yet like i just want to know the basics but yeah thats cool ill go to google i really didnt think of that i bought a book last night for linux begginers so that should help me but yeah thanks again and this is a site for EQ right my friend just told me about it so i thought i was sign in becuz i want to learn linux... sorry again

tamarae
01-10-2003, 06:13 AM
linuxnewbie.org

IMPOSTER
01-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks, guys for your help im still gunna post and shit one here sorry about the language if you guys dont like that i wont do that. Lol well thanks again for then info agian keep tlaking to me thanks 8) :lol: [/quote]

Ben
02-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, to get a good version of linux use http://www.linuxiso.org/
btw get mandrake it probley the best one for new people. Even though i learn on slackware but dont d/l slackware u will not be able to set it up.

TheClaus
02-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Another site I learned a lot from was LinuxHelp (http://www.linuxhelp.net). They have some really good guides on how to setup firewalls, NAT, Apache, and more. Good luck and I would go with Ben's suggestion about Mandrake. It is the most user friendly. Redhat would be 2nd.

Ben
02-13-2003, 07:51 AM
I did not say redhat because people hack redhat. Redhat is the most rooted out of all the differnt versions of linux. He probley would get rooted if he went on redhat, on mandrake there is a little less of a chance.

Nerocon
02-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Iam kinda new to the whole Linux seen as well.. wtf is rooted? iam assuming it has something to do wtih someone hacking into your root dir and fooking something up or changeing your root pw. I use Mandrake atm is there anything i should be aware of in the security area? I hae a really crappy firewall setup and a router am i abit safer?

Trumpcard
02-23-2003, 01:31 AM
invest in a good firewall script, monmotha's is really good (look up monmotha on freshmeat for the URL)

Rooted basiclly means someone using a root level exploit to get superuser access, aka root.

Mandrake is fine, but make sure to keep up with security announcements and patch as needed.

Ben
02-23-2003, 02:53 PM
k rooted is be hacked. Root access = main admin, in other words u get rooted the person that hacked knows your root password and they have unlimited control over your box. Firewalls are only useful to a degree.

Elrach
04-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Number one way to prevent being hacked:

Remove any services you don't need!

Go visit your local bookstore and get a book on Linux security. Plenty of good ones there. Keep an eye out for security advisory also... Fighting hackers is a neverending process, but there are ways to minimize the chances.

So my suggestion is read, read and read some more to learn...