PDA

View Full Version : Admin problem

Hedley
02-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Ok, i have the latest version of MySQL. I've installed everything and when i open Admin it says it can't connect to the database. Password/Username are correct, i have localhost for database address, eq for name just like i'm supposed to... but it doesn't work =( (cry) what i doing wrong?

Baron Sprite
02-17-2002, 03:59 PM
did you grant yourself rights?
IE:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO monty IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass';

in mysql?

Trumpcard
02-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Too anyone that wants to know how to grant themselves permissions from another box... I run the server on a linux box, database on a windows machine.

mysql>GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON eq.* TO monty@localhost
IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON eq.* TO monty@"%"
IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

You can also replace the % with just the ip of the other server if you want to be a bit more secure about it.

Hedley
02-18-2002, 09:20 AM
I put that in Mysql and it still doesn't work =(

Baron Sprite
02-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Change localhost in admin to 127.0.0.1 and try it then.

Hedley
02-19-2002, 09:15 AM
didn't work =(

Pyrotek
02-20-2002, 12:59 AM
Why would you run the DB on a win32 box if you are running world/zone processes on linux? That just sounds crazy. hehe...

Trumpcard
02-20-2002, 01:13 AM
My linux box is my firewall, I dont like having a database sitting on the firewall. Mysql has a history of security issues, and I keep ALOT of sensitive data in my database, so I dont like it being in the DMZ. The firewall would keep out most common exploits, but I still think its a good idea for a few different reasons.

If I had a seperate linux box to act as a database server, I'd put it there, but my windows box is actually a pretty good choice. Fast processor, alot of memory, few running processes on it, and it's only accessible when you are ON the linux server, or from localhost. Plus, very few of my programs that are hitting it are high load anyway, so Im not really worried about performance issues.

Windcatcher
02-20-2002, 02:12 AM
This is a dumb question but have you double-checked the database name in admin Preferences? My default is eqxx, e.g. eq20, eq21, eq22, etc. If I left it that way in the last version of the tool then you may have to go into Preferences and change it. What error is the tool reporting when it can't connect? It should give you a specific message.

WC

Hedley
02-20-2002, 09:21 AM
Well i've been fooling around with it and it reads some tables and comes to CHARACTER_MYD table and it can't read it =( say's "Can't open file: "character_.MYD'"

Baron Sprite
02-20-2002, 09:59 AM
try re-downloading mysql and then reinstalling the db.