PDA

View Full Version : What I want to see in Linux 0.2.4

theCoder
02-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Kind of a continuation of this thread: http://eqemu.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=502, but I figured that this could use it's own thread, so here goes.

These are some ideas of things for future Linux releases of the emulator:

1) Fix the Database.cpp to use db.ini (I think this is already done, which is good :)) This is definitely doable by the next version.

2) Create a bin directory that holds all the binaries and associated files (this cooresponds to the root directory in the Windows version). Things I have in my bin directory include the binaries, the config files (*.ini), the sql files, the cfg directory, and a couple of starting scripts. I think this sort of reorganization should be easily doable for 0.2.4.

3) Have a makefile in the root directory which descends into each source directory to compile. That way, one make command compiles the entire emulator. This may be a little harder to work out the details but could be possible for the next version.

4) Along with (2) and (3), investigate the potential of something like autoconf. I think that using autoconf should be in the long term goals of the emulator since it makes it easy for the end user to compile with different settings. This is more long term and I wouldn't expect it soon.

5) Documentation -- a README, FAQ, something that explains to the end user how to compile, run, and use the emulator. There is some documentation, but right now, it's not great. This is also a long term goal.

6) Binary distribution. I'm not saying not distribute the source (source is good :)), but there are many people who just want to install the RPM or DEB and have it work. I personally don't know how hard it is to make RPMs or DEBs, but having something like this would be good also.

7) Make the binaries more "daemon-like". Using things like standard loggin, pid files, etc. This isn't as important, but should be something to aim for, I think.

That's all I can think of right now. What does everyone else think about these ideas? What other ones?

I'd also help out with anything among these that I can!

Stud
02-18-2002, 10:24 AM
A lot of this would be dependent upon how each person has configured their Linux and MySQL install.

So although the ease of a "windows-ish" install sounds pleasing, most of it could take a while to configure to take into account all of the possible installation scenarios, IMHO.

theCoder
02-18-2002, 10:49 AM
A lot of this would be dependent upon how each person has configured their Linux and MySQL install.

I think that's where something like autoconf would come in handy. I don't know how easy/hard it is to use on the developer side (since I've never used it there), but ./configure, make, make install is pretty nice for the end user point of view.

CoderJ
02-21-2002, 06:15 AM
5) Documentation -- a README, FAQ, something that explains to the end user how to compile, run, and use the emulator. There is some documentation, but right now, it's not great. This is also a long term goal.

I feel for you on that one. Unfortunatly, don't hold your breath. I've documented a lot of the stuff with the emu myself (general use, install, etc) for my own purposes. Whenever I get confused on how something works, I just pop into the source. Quite honestly, the source is some of the easiest stuff I've ever had to read, everything is documented in it as it should with comments.

Maybe I'll post my stuff up before the end of the month. Depends if 0.2.4 is on it's way before then.