PDA

View Full Version : Which computer would u buy? Need help deciding :)

Hardy
01-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I have 2 options for a computer, I dunno which to get, lol!

1st option:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=I70-7242%20P

2nd option:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=V133-2250

Here are the specs of each computer:

1st:
Intel

Trumpcard
01-17-2003, 01:37 AM
I dont like either, but if I had to go with one I'd go with the 1st one , and upgrade the memory to at least 256. Stay away from integrated video if you can, most actually use your actual RAM rather than their own, and that can be slow as your video memory is on the same bus as your system memory.

I'd build it from parts from www.newegg.com if i were you, or see what barebones they have, great prices and really good support.

Divide
01-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Well there is a few things you should look into on those PCs,

1 the cost of OS, Well 98se is kinda muteclost =p

2 The IBM comes with a 64MB Nvidia Card the 2nd comp has built on Video.

3, With IBM you Should get better tech support if you have any issues.

4 Upgrading RAM is not that big a cost nowadays.

So, my opinion would be the IBM system thats Pre setup with tech support, Recovery and Nvidia and well known PC Brand

Trumpcard
01-17-2003, 03:49 AM
People can say what they want about IBM, but coming from someone that once worked for them, I can say they have one of the best quality programs Ive seen. IBM stuff is usually rock solid. The IBM is the better choice by far of the 2.

Hardy
01-17-2003, 04:41 AM
The reason i can only pick from them, is thats all the money I have. I also need money for a router to hook up both computers, this one and new one. I was going to buy bare bones, but I don't know how to build computers very well, and once i get the computer, i just want to hook it up and play. I have 256ram that I am taking out of this computer and putting it in that one, also another CD-RW so it will have 2 cd drives. Thanks for the responses, I will probably just consider the 1st option now :D

GeneralMcGraw
01-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Well, First off, I wouldnt go with iether. There both using the P4 Chips. Dont get me wrong, the older P2 andP3 chips were great, But P4's are just laking!!! What you need to try to go for is the AMD athlon chips. Though the actual Mhz speed is lower then the P4's, You get significantly higher performance!!!

Next off for the Hard drives, I have just 2 words. MAXTOR BAAAAAAD!!! I'm a systems admin for living. Trust me on this, If I didnt know any better I would swear that Maxtor built there drives with Bad sectors and a timer in Track zero to MAKE it go bad. Your best bet, Western digital. Granted, it cost about $30-$60 more, But if your want a Fast AND dependibal drive, WD is the way to go.

One Last thing, The OS. Go for XP pro. All the home version is, is a striped down version! I Personaly would go for 98se if your doing gaming and such. Its far more compatable.The XP system Stability is great but the program compatablility/Stability Leaves MUCH to be desiered!

I know you have money constrants but if you want a system you dont want to worry about crashing hard, Make sure you get those 3 Main components! In addition, you wont need to upgrade for some time!!

fnemo
01-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Lol. before saying a CPU is more powerful than another is bullshit. How can you compare 2 different archtitecture ?
AMD try to get fastest calculation with the lowest frequency
Intel try to get a CPU with the most intructions integrated

AMD is said "compatible" to intel . It use to be up to run the same applications, but those wont run the same way. AMD will work enough fast to be equal to intel with lower frequency, yes. But with what cost ?
> less compatibiliy with dozen software/hardware
> more hot
> no temperature controle (remember tom's hardware video ?)
> no optimisation in the core : why the P4 is so small in comparision with the Athlon XP ?
> less stability with Athlon XP

I have an Athlon XP 1800+ with NForce2
My friend has a P4 1,8A with Intel Chipset

I'm faster in most on the calculation, but my system is less stable than his. My system need a lot of cooling system (and noise cause i dont haave enough money to do a water or compressor cooling) than his.

Lots of other reason. So dont say it's more powerful. At frequency equal, AMD is faster . not more powerful.

Otherwise, you gonna need to compare with the 68xxx or the Alpha CPU ...

68000 are cheaper than AMD ... more optimized .... a bit too much even but ...
Why do you thinks SGI or such as use 68000 ? more optimized
Why do you thinks huge calculator use Alphas ? really faster
Why do you thinks servers use Intel ? more stable and compatible

About the OS, WinXP Pro is a lot heavier than Windows 2K. It's less stable (even with the same kernel). It's less portable. And really . but really really less secure than Windows 2000.
I have to add than now, W2K is cheaper than WinXP. I know in france, even if you buy WinXP Pro, you are allowed (its in MS Licence) to use an hacked W2K Pro, because you own WinXP Pro...

About the Hard drive, you need to check the report about the problems with the hard drives. WD is the company that have to do the most support and replacement. You want reliability ? Use Seagate. better warranty, better performance on long time. better cooling.

Just my 2 coppers and not a flame.

Goku
02-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Or if u wanna be a lazy mofo like me 8) just buy something from dell lol

they have ok pc;s as far as preassembled goes

bah dont listen to be at least for a few more years. By the time i finish high school ill have my A+ SISQO (not sure on spelling) NETPLUS and a few other certifications :P then ill come back and post reslolutions to all of your problems lol :D

DeletedUser
02-05-2003, 02:59 PM
RIP OFF!!! www.cyberpowerpc.com

Hardy
02-06-2003, 09:26 AM
lol, that website is a rip off. $1500 for a p4 2.4? I can get the same thing for $800. And 3.06ghz for $2300? Thats a MAJOR rip off. Thx for the site though, hehe.

http://www.newgenpc.com/, go to customize, I made a nice p4 2ghz for about $650. And a p4 3.06ghz for $1300. $1000 cheaper than that site.

DeletedUser
02-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Actually those are cheap and they are gamer pcs :)

Hardy
02-06-2003, 09:33 AM
I edited it, hehe, I did the same computer at newgenpc.com, much cheaper

DeletedUser
02-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Onboard video and sound does not cut it, newgenpc also gives you lower-grade ram if you did not notice, look closer.

Note: Just looked over their site, they only go up to PC2100 DDR ram :( PC3700 DDR RAM is out now!!

Hardy
02-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Go to "Build your own PC" which is located on the left hand side. You can put anything you want into the computers. Pick the motherboard, video card, sound card, monitor, case, you pick everything :P

DeletedUser
02-07-2003, 03:56 AM
You don't know what you are talking about Hardy, I have bought from this company and they are lower quality, I had to get my power supply and my hard drive replaced because of a cheap power supply (I ended up buying a new one myself). The people you are buying from have a long stupid chain of different sites but they are really all the same company, for example, if you look at actolinestore.com it has a similar layout to newgenpc.com youl find many sites with similar layout, same company.

Trumpcard
02-07-2003, 05:07 AM
Thats a common technique these days, what is really happening is that your company has a template site for a wholesale manufacter. Its odd the way it works. The order will actually go to the wholesaler who will build the order, and directly send you the pc, but the payment will go to the end of sale supplier (in this case, newgen) , and they will pay the wholesaler the cost of the machine.
It's actually a very affective technique for the end of sale guys as they dont have to build the machines themselves, they just support them once they sell them. We almost set our company up this way, building pc's is time consuming and can be frustrating when you have a limitied staff, so its almost like outsourcing.

Overall though, the prices do look really good, and the parts i saw them using werent junk (in some cases). I wouldnt touch the ECS mb's they offer with a 10 foot pole though. The 2 pieces of equipment you should never go ultra cheap and generic on if you ask me are the motherboard and memory...

DeletedUser
02-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Im saying out of my experience not to trust them, there are better companies out there.

Hardy
02-07-2003, 07:13 PM
I have heard good things about newgenpc.com, I have heard bad things. Companies are not perfect, some computers will have there bugs, some won't. For example, I have 2 friends with Gateway, 1 has no complaints, it runs perfect. The other one, well, he had to send it back 2 times to get it repaired. No computer company is perfect, and none will ever be perfect.